UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Avengers #1 Contest

buttheadsmate

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's apparently Minimates Week & I decided that I'd run a little contest of my own....Avengers #1 Contest. This coming week (we hope) brings us The Avengers #1 Box Set. This highly anticipated box-set will ,obviously, be much sought-after & includes Iron-Man,Ant-Man/Giant-Man,The Hulk & The Wasp.

It doesn't include however the Mighty Thor for some 'God knows' reason post-638-1225188100_thumb.jpg

It also doesn't include Captain America who as all purists know was being 'kept on ice' until 'The Mighty Thaw'

...... & Loki was the villain the Avengers had to battle first ....sadly he too is not included.

First Prize in my competition will be 'Avengers' Wave 16 which includes Thor,Loki,Quicksilver,She-Hulk,Wonder Man & The Scarlet Witch which will be 'case-fresh' in their original packaging . First Prize will also include a 'freshly de-frosted ' Captain America & Absorbing Man ,Wave 5 ,2 pack. This version of Captain America is often considered 'the members' favourite' & again is minty fresh in its original packaging.

Depending on the interest (or not!) in the contest further prizes may be offered with the First Prize being upgraded with an addition of Bearded Thor.

There are few rules to this competition except my decision is final,all comments to be made only in the thread & I don't want PMs regarding it . I have no affiliation with any organisation & this competition is solely my idea & my responsibilty.

I am not offering Avengers #1 Box-Set as a prize or anything else for sale.

I will update this thread within 24 hours with the details of how to win if sufficient interest has been generated. All the best, buttheadsmate.

I've got a sneaky (overwhelmingly) feeling that after the marvellous week we had last week, being bamboozled by DST ,my little quiz will pale into insignificance. I'll blame Timbo (who else :biggrin: ) for destroying the momentum of this but I have learned a few things since I joined this wonderful forum ....anything involving the words 'free' usually gets peoples interest back. I have dealt with most of the rules & I'll make a few more up as we go. Please use the thread for any banter but not questions about the questions ,PM these . If you want to spoil it by blabbing the answers ...you'll be classed as a jerk ;) When all the questions have been asked I'll accept your answers via PMs & the winners will be announced. Please be patient for the answers /winners as next weekend is a particularly busy time for me for reasons of real-life. The prizes are as follows:

First: The complete Wave 16 including both Thor versions plus Wave 5, Captain America 2 pack.

Second: As above less Variant Thor

Third: Std.Thor & Loki plus Captain America 2 pack

Here are the first 12 questions......read them carefully :yes:

Question 1. Which Marvel Minimate consists of the least parts .....other than Zombie Wasp?

Question 2. Who was the first person to decline membership of the Avengers?

Question 3. Historically who is the 'earliest' Avenger who has not had a Minimate incarnation?

Question 4. Name 4 Marvel Minimates that have unique mouldings for their heads?

Question 5. The Amazing Spider-Man issue #96 was especially relevant for what reason?

Question 6. Which Marvel Minimates have non-plastic accessories?

Question 7. Which Marvel kubricks do not have a current or proposed Minimate equivalent?

Question 8. The Minimate version of Quicksilver joined the Avengers in which issue?

Question 9. Which Marvel Minimate has the longest 'official' name?

Question 10. Which Marvel Minimate has the most parts including accessories & how many?

Question 11. Wave 2 Black Spidey & Venom are the same except for their heads & have the least painted parts compared to any other Marvel Minimate. True or False?

Question 12. Which Marvel Minimate 2-pack contained 2 completely unique variants?

So that wasn't too difficult was it ? "It ain't Cap" Brian

Please remember to keep your answers to yourself for now ,wait until all questions are asked. Thankyou.

There will be at least 6 further questions (probably tomorrow) & there will be plenty of time to PM the answers to them to me (not yet )but remember the time difference in the UK & the fact that I'm frequently intoxicated during most of the evening hours here

The final 6 Questions will be posted tomorrow.

Although I have had a few questions regarding my questions it would seem that most people seem to be coping with them. Question 12 seems to be giving grief to some people but I can assure you there is only one answer I know of !

Today's question is the 'Tie-breaker' & it's a beauty :D In the event of any tie the person who comes closest with the answer will win.

Tie-Breaker Question : Brian Braddock aka Captain Britain is older or younger than buttheadsmate (me :D )? By how many months?

Answers must be in the form of 'How many months' followed by 'Older/Younger'

Got that? I know it's a bloody awful question but I need a Tie-Breaker Question ....just in case of a tie. The answer you give will ONLY be used in that circumstance & will not be included in your score unless you get within one month of the correct answer. I decided to set this question today rather than give the final 6 questions which I will post tomorrow .

Please remember .....do not PM your answers until ALL questions have been asked.

Heres all the questions in the Avengers #1 Contest ,you have until Friday night (US) to PM your answers (& suitable bribes :biggrin: ) to me. Good Luck!.

Question 1. Which Marvel Minimate consists of the least parts .....other than Zombie Wasp?

Question 2. Who was the first person to decline membership of the Avengers?

Question 3. Historically who is the 'earliest' Avenger who has not had a Minimate incarnation?

Question 4. Name 4 Marvel Minimates that have unique mouldings for their heads?

Question 5. The Amazing Spider-Man issue #96 was especially relevant for what reason?

Question 6. Which Marvel Minimates have non-plastic accessories?

Question 7. Which Marvel kubricks do not have a current or proposed Minimate equivalent?

Question 8. The Minimate version of Quicksilver joined the Avengers in which issue?

Question 9. Which Marvel Minimate has the longest 'official' name?

Question 10. Which Marvel Minimate has the most parts including accessories & how many?

Question 11. Wave 2 Black Spidey & Venom are the same except for their heads & have the least painted parts compared to any other Marvel Minimate. True or False?

Question 12. Which Marvel Minimate 2-pack contained 2 completely unique variants?

Question 13. Which Marvel Minimate has the smallest accessory?

Question 14. Which Marvel Minimate was the first to have a hairpiece included with it as an extra?

Question 15. I'm sure many of you are using Minimates Central as a resource for this quiz, it's a fantastic site & I love it . In the Central's Review of 'Ultimate Avengers DVD' Captain America a comparison is made with Wave 5 Captain America. The differences are clearly defined but in which other major way do these figures differ?

Question 16. Which Marvel Minimates set has packaging that features the most caricatures of Minimates on the front of the box?

Question 17. Thor has never altered too dramatically since the early Sixties . If there was a Minimate version of Avengers #1 Thor that was accurate to the Avengers #1 comic version how would it differ from the current Minimate version of Thor? Your answer is to consist of three (or less )words .

Question 18. Which Marvel Minimate has a single body-part that will not fit any other Marvel Minimate?

Tie Breaker:

Brian Braddock aka Captain Britain is older or younger than buttheadsmate ( me :rolleyes: ) By how many months?

Answers must be in the form of ' x months' followed by 'older/younger'

Got that? I know it's a bloody awful question but I need a Tie-Breaker Question ....just in case of a tie. The answer you give will ONLY be used in that circumstance & will not be included in your score unless you get within one month of the correct answer.

In a week of new releases esp. Deadpool :whistling: all the questions relate to Minimates available NOW . Please also note that Zombie Wasp's Head will not be considered as a Minimate in this competition

In setting these questions I have done my very best to be precise . I do not profess to be a 'Special Minimate Expert' & what I consider to be the answer may ,ultimately, be found to be inaccurate,I'll be the judge of that. Just do your best & enjoy it ! PM any queries!

"It ain't Cap" Brian

Edited by buttheadsmate

Wow, some of those will be deceptively difficult to answer, I think. Is number 8 a trick question?

I don't remember a Minimate ever coming to life, breaking the "fourth wall" and appearing in any Marvel comics, particularly to join a team ;)

I would certainly buy that issue, though. "Minimate Quicksilver, you have shown us that your pose-ability and cuteness far outweigh your size and plastic-ness. Please accept our offer of membership into the 'Mate Lakes Avengers"

Karamazov80 will not be involved in the prize-winning :P

i thought that was a trick question he did say to "read carefully"

Several members have now sent in their answers & it is encouraging to see a lot of correct answers & a lot of wrong answers which is a healthy sign as I really hate parting with any Minimate especially 'Bearded Thor' .What on earth was I thinking of? :ohmy:

Fame and glory I suspect... :D Quiet the opposite of the reality of holding a quiz, I know how much work and bemusement goes on behind the scenes of a contest, thanks for holding the contest and I'm curious to see if anyone gets everything right!

BTW This contest made it sink-in that Psylocke is looking damn good for her age!

T.

All the entries are in & the clear winners are emerging. I have never attempted this sort of thing before & although it was actually quite difficult setting the questions I enjoyed it. I participate in our local carnival today so I will not be able to announce the winners until tomorrow. I do however feel the need to say thanks for all those who entered,so Thankyou!!! The contest is now closed but Question 10 , 'Which Marvel Minimate has the most parts including accessories?' was answered correctly by almost everybody who entered. Not that surprising really but what is amazing is the fact that nobody answered the second part of the question 'How many 'with the answer I had :ohmy:

I had figures ranging from 21 to 28 parts? The figure that I had was 26 & this morning I tore apart TASKMASTER & counted again ......26. Could somebody else perform the same operation & confirm my answer because perhaps I'm wrong. :ohmy:

update: Checking with 'Central' there appears to be an extra 'white hand' accessory in the picture of accessories which is news to me! Maybe it is 27?

Edited by buttheadsmate

That's what I put. Here's the list I used:

r. foot

r. lower leg

r. upper leg

l. foot

l. lower leg

l. upper leg

crotch piece

torso

head

r. hand

r. lower arm

r. upper arm

l. hand

l. lower arm

l. upper arm

cape

knife holster

gun holster

belt

shield

sword

sheath

knife

gun

bow

arrow

extra hand

And can I say I think I'm more interested in seeing what the answers were than in seeing who won. Maybe.

Edited by groundhog7s

i said 23 but i dont count the upper/lower arm and legs as separate pieces as i noted on my answers but if you count them as separate pieces you'd have to count the knee pegs (which are separate) too, so 27 is wrong as it would be 29 total pieces

Edit and as Bob points out below the shield is two pieces so the total is now 30 pieces

Edited by Mattallica

Thing is, I received a Taskmaster right after the contest ended in a Trade-It-Forward-Package. I just tore him apart and have 28 pieces in front of me:

*15 body parts (arms with hands each 3 parts, legs with feet each 3 parts, torso, head, "crotch")

* 3 sheath/holsters (for pistole, sword, knive)

* 1 belt

* 1 cape

* 1 pistole

* 1 knive

* 1 sword

* 1 bow

* 1 arrow

* 1 extra hand

* 2 shield parts (shield and arm-holding-ring-thing)

*28 parts

That's what I have. I guess the thing is, that you might have counted the shield as one part, but since you can tear it apart I counted it as two.

But in the end judgeheadsmate 2000 A.D. is always right, even if he's wrong he's right, so there's no arguing.

_____

Edit:

If someone - like Metallica noted - declared in the answer, that he/she* counted an arm or leg as one part, that might be respected in your judging process BHM. I noted as well that my answer is 28 as long as you count the whole body as 15. Maybe that's something you can consider.

Enjoy the judging process, BHM ;)

:blush:

*I heard of "shes", but maybe they are just an ancient myth...

Edited by Bob Harris