UA-100768763-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JeffBohn

Buffy! Angel and Spike too!

Recommended Posts

I speculated a couple months ago when DST showed some Buffy stuff that we might get some Minimates. I would have to think they're on the table; a Buffy box set should be an easy sell to somebody out there. Right? :ermm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2019 at 11:57 PM, JeffBohn said:

WHAT KIND OF BULLSHIT IS THIS DST?  Sorry I feel personally trolled with this since I basically have been begging for this for years and don't collect Vinimates except for ones that fit into the standard minimates line like a Dr Manhattan or a dino. This is some f^*%ng nerve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one product. It's not the last Buffy product we'll ever make. Maybe in the future we'll see Minimates, who knows. We're just starting with Vinimates.

To be fair, we were not personally trolling you, since nobody at DST knew you wanted Buffy Minimates, not even me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair... I did write in and ask Chuck in March of 2012...my memory is long. Get to mates making. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When DST was churning out Buffy figures nonstop we were asking for mates, even before that when MAC was doing figures. This is some trifling Bullsheet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, arnim zola said:

When DST was churning out Buffy figures nonstop we were asking for mates, even before that when MAC was doing figures. This is some trifling Bullsheet.

Seriously. Telling us you don't want to make them or that there isn't a demand or distribution partner or any other lie in your arsenal but don't come here and fucking tell us you didn't know we wanted them when this board, the Facebook group, ASK Chuck, and instagram are filled with images/mentions/and pleading for Buffy mates. It's bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All he said was that he didn't know that you, personally, wanted Buffy minimates. I'm sure he knows that at least someone at some point has asked for them.

DST could probably get a couple box sets out of Buffy, but if John Wick couldn't get off the ground I wouldn't hold my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Is John Wick really in Buffy territory as far as demand for merchandise is concerned?

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just meant thereasonsy, and me personally. I'm sure fans asked for MM when the show was on the air. But I haven't seen much talk or Ask DST recently.

I wasn't around in the DST Buffy days, or the MAC days, so I don't know how long PALZ tied the block figure rights up for, or how long they soured the market for them afterwards. Even if the rights freed up post-PALZ, I can't imagine we would have dove right in.

John Wick Vinis did well, I think. We made a couple of versions. People mock the Pops comparison, but it's an established price and format, and I think we do benefit from that. MM are their own beast, one without a comparable product format/category on the market.

I'm sure there's a strong fan demand for Buffy merch overall, but how much in this media drought remains to be seen. John Wick, there have been three popular movies in the last what, five years? And yeah, retailers take that stuff into consideration. So we'll see how the Vinimates do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not entirely sure how or why (Buffy) PALz 'soured' the market for other block figures ?   I'd accept that the Buffy PALz were a little naive in many ways but the next licence up...The X-Files....were IMHO superb.   The recent 'token' X-Files Minimates releases would be a perfect example of how not to introduce a new Minimate licence & I am not ready for a second example. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I'm not entirely sure how or why (Buffy) PALz 'soured' the market for other block figures ?   I'd accept that the Buffy PALz were a little naive in many ways but the next licence up...The X-Files....were IMHO superb.   The recent 'token' X-Files Minimates releases would be a perfect example of how not to introduce a new Minimate licence & I am not ready for a second example. 

 

 

Totally agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, DSTZach said:

I People mock the Pops comparison, but it's an established price and format, and I think we do benefit from that. MM are their own beast, one without a comparable product format/category on the market.

I think this is an important point that we often overlook. There's not really a market for block figures anymore; Minimates is basically the last survivor of a toy fad that burned out many years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, hellpop said:

Minimates is basically the last survivor

3l0e1x.jpg

 

Edited by youbastards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's comparable? Legos and Megablox are construction sets, and the minifigures are a side hustle. Shockinis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, hellpop said:

What's comparable? Legos and Megablox are construction sets, and the minifigures are a side hustle. Shockinis?

I'm seeing Roblox in entirely too many locations thanks to them thinking outside the block and having a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hellpop said:

There's not really a market for block figures anymore; Minimates is basically the last survivor of a toy fad that burned out many years ago.

With respect , I disagree.  There is a market for block figures it is the marketplace that has diminished to a point where it almost ceases to exist 

Spend 5 minutes on eBay checking out the 'completed' listings for kubricks,PALz &......yes.....Minimates , you'll see what I would consider a healthy demand for all of them. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buttheadsmate said:

With respect , I disagree.  There is a market for block figures it is the marketplace that has diminished to a point where it almost ceases to exist 

Spend 5 minutes on eBay checking out the 'completed' listings for kubricks,PALz &......yes.....Minimates , you'll see what I would consider a healthy demand for all of them. 

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market. They sell to retailers in the specialty market, mass market, and now pharmacy.

Block figures seem to sell just fine as long as they're accessories to something else rather than standalone products like Kubrick and PALz. If it's a construction set like LEGO or Mega Blox Construx or a video game like Roblox, there's still no shortage of them. Even discount and dollar stores have some very affordable incarnation.

DST just needs to reinvent the Minimates brand with an emphasis on the mix & match play pattern and expend to vehicles and playsets. Or sell the brand to a company that can. While the last thing I want to see is C3 2.0 (the brick category is NOT the way to go), accessories that complement these 2" action figures and feature components that can be interchanged with other SKUs would be pretty fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market . No they don't but they are quite happy to sell ( just as a tiny example)  40 cases of the current Marvel Minimates Wave 78 to a well-known eBay seller . Now perhaps I've got that wrong but according to my eBay checkout I would be able to buy that amount from 'him' if I was crazy enough .

DST doesn't sell to the secondary market ............my attorney advises me to agree with that comment because it is of course true. 

......&.....Medicom successfully tried several marketing ploys .......most anything you have seen from DST I have seen similar ,before, in a kubrick packet . 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...