UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toys R Us closing all 800+ US stores

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused by what they mean ‘sold’ in all these comments. Like individual TRU locations will be sold to become independent toy stores with all the inventory? Another company will buy 400 locations, change the name, and keep on keeping on?

The owners will take whatever they can get. It sounds like they'll be liquidating everything, from merchandise and furnishings to buildings and property.

I suppose if one were interested, one could inquire about purchasing a nearby store but I'm sure the name would have to be changed. Maybe we could band together and invest in one and call it "Luke's Toy Store."

1 hour ago, Onyx_6 said:

I am confused by what they mean ‘sold’ in all these comments. Like individual TRU locations will be sold to become independent toy stores with all the inventory? Another company will buy 400 locations, change the name, and keep on keeping on?

Someone could buy several hundred stores and keep them open. Presumably purchasing the name as well. Right now it looks like the group in charge of TRU Canada very well may do that.

45 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

It'll be interesting to see who ends up with the name. That may have the most value in the long run, especially if someone wants to rebuild the brand from the ground up in a few years.

Exactly. Amazon could even buy it and use it as a distribution point. It’s pretty much up in the air. It is definitely an end to an era.

1 minute ago, MisterPL said:

Amazon has been toying around (no pun intended) with brick & mortar outlets. This might be a way for them to do so even on a seasonal basis.

That could be the plan. 

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

It'll be interesting to see who ends up with the name. That may have the most value in the long run, especially if someone wants to rebuild the brand from the ground up in a few years.

Anybody else recall that ToysRUs bought the domain name Toys.com for $5.1m ,   9 years ago ?   

I swung by my local Toys R Us yesterday, for the purpose of using a gift card that was going to be useless after a month. I went to the section of the Minimates, and the pegs were overflowing. It seems like no one was buying them at all. I haven't been following Minimates very closely for a while, so I don't know if this is indicative of what is going on everywhere else. But when the heavy discounts come, I'll have to head back and see if there's something that catches my eye. When another one of these Toys R Us is closed about 8 or 9 years ago across town, I stocked up.  I think I still have some of those in storage.

Hey Rob!  I hope you guys are doing well.  Work has been kicking my rear.   But that's no excuse to ignore the best internet forum in existence!  I didn't see that one when I glanced at the pegs, but if I do see them, I can pick them up for you if you want.  Anything else that's worth paying attention to?  I saw the full Wolverine line, with Mojo, etc., the Black Panther line, Nightmare Before Christmas, Ripley with the vehicle from Aliens, plus some Muppets.

Part of my tongue is firmly in my cheek when I answer your question "worth paying attention to"? 

Much is being said on this forum about the demise of ToysRUs & your insight into your local TRU is particularly enlightening to me.  

If I were to be you walking back into that store I would be clinical & select the following ;

The 'Wolverine' wave ....I'd just grab the Magneto packs. The 'BP' wave , I'd leave the BP pack & grab the other 2 . NBX ,I'd buy anything with a sticker on it . Ripley/APC ...I'd grab them . Muppets , I'd buy anything with a sticker on it.

Plus if I saw Marvel Wave 24 or 25 I'd see stickers on the front of all of them & I'd find the wave numbers on the back of the package (right/top) . Wave 24... these should be judged on their own merits ,I have my own (secret) opinion on this wave which I shan't share but if I saw Wave 25  I'd almost forget Wave 24 :D Ragnarok...Heimdall pack.

Beetlejuice, Alien ,Aliens ,Dark Tower & Predator.....I'd buy the ones with the stickers on them .....there are a few packs that buck this trend but that's the simple way to say it.

I am genuinely sad about the demise of TRU & I feel for anyone losing their employment there but life will go on & when one door slams shut another will open . 

My TRU was busier yesterday than on Black Friday. The parking lot was almost at capacity. Checkout lines were so long they needed someone to direct customers.

What gets me is that prices weren't any different than they were a month ago. I can only assume many of these people were spending gift cards. 

As for Minimates there was nothing new. The Infinity War display was set but nothing from DST, unlike Black Panther. There are still a few of those sets left. 

The only bare shelf so far was the books. I'm guessing a liquidator already snatched those up. 

WHAT?!?!?! That is a SERIOUSLY ambitious claim. 

But, if they can make it happen, I'm all for it. I loved tracking down KayBee variants of the old ToyBiz figs as a kid. If they can fill the gap left by TRU and make a profit, I'm all here for it. 

Zach - this might be a bit premature, and I acknowledge that it's an utterly selfish question, but what's the best way for fans to make sure the TRU closures have the least amount of impact on your lines? Do we need to make some noise in support of Minimates? Share more photos on social media? Pre-order sets that we're excited for?

K*B story looks like BS. Just another vulture trying to cash in on TRU's demise. 

Call me when they start opening some stores... Or even own the KB IP.

Until then, I'll steer you guys to my upcoming press release on how I'm going to save the Retail Industry by reopening Sears as soon as they close. I'm also going to save Disco.