Gmonkey2k

Animated Marvel 'Mates

1,289 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Mnemosis said:

I'm not saying the glass is half full. I'm not telling you to be happy with what you're getting just because I am. But then, it's not half empty, either. You didn't LOSE anything, that's just your perception of the situation. The glass simply is.

There is no spoon.

Chuck once said they weren't making comic Avengers for a while because they thought the movie versions covered that demand. It's entirely reasonable to suspect there's a similar thought process when it comes to animated versions.

I can see both sides of the debate here as personally with VERY few exceptions I don't see having a movie version of a character as any kind of substitute for a comic version.  However, I do think the animated versions fit in well with the comic stuff in most cases and actually find that those waves contain more that interests me as a "classic" fan than much else since the demise of box sets and the rise of movie waves.  To me though the key point here is that I don't think the fact that a character is released in a walgreens wave means that there is any greater or lesser chance of seeing a comic version - I simply don't think we would have a squadron supreme, man-thing, etc otherwise, so to me the line is a great addition.

Edited by stegron01

The way I look at it is that the Walgreens line must be doing good as we now have wave 5 announced (It's actually wave 7 since there was a 1.5 and 2.5).  So more minimates are selling = more money for DST = more minimates down the line.

In my recent travels I picked up a full set of series 4. If anyone still needs it ,PM me. Cost + shipping. (Roughly $48).

Well, in my area (Bloomington/Normal, IL) there was a Wave 1, 1.5, 2, and never saw 2.5, saw 3 and have not seen 4.  So I doubt I see 5 in my area.

I wanted the whole wave 2.5 but no luck and I can't afford the eBay prices or all the extras in shipping fees to get them elsewhere.

I drove around to the six Walgreens in my area, today. 1 store had no Minimates at all, not even a space on the shelf for them, 1 store had two packages (The Dark Thor & the Dark Iron Man sets marked at $8.49 each), 1 store had a full set of Wave 3 ($8.99 each), 1 store had the Dark Iron Man set and the Miles&Venom set ($8.49 each), 1 store had Electro&Spiderman set ($8.99) and last store had what appeared to be five full sets of Wave 1 and Wave 1.5 all at $8.99.

So the pricing was not even the same yet they all supposedly share the same UPC.

Anyway, I am still looking for Wave 2.5 and Wave 4.  But I think it is terrible how these are distributed. 

On 4/24/2017 at 0:52 PM, MisterMiracle said:

It makes sense to me.  That Leader mate is fine as a modern mate but I pretty much just stick to classic looks at this point.  The modern stuff doesn't really appeal to me unless it's a new character (Silk, Spider-Gwen, Ms. Marvel, etc.) because the modern looks tend to not last very long before they are changed to the next latest and greatest look.

I'm happy we've gotten Man-Thing and Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel but that's only 3 figures out of 48 (54 if you include TRU 20) so far that I've been genuinely excited about. Some of the more obscure characters are neat to see too but not must haves for me.

I'd normally be the first to say the Squadron are relatively obscure characters, but hearing someone who prefers classic looks say that makes me do a double take. Even of Zarda and Spectrum aren't on your radar, Hyperion has been spotlighted a few times, and Speed Demon was a recurring villain.

As far as the Leader not sporting a classic look, I agree with BigVis...

On 4/25/2017 at 0:56 PM, bigvis497 said:

Leader's costume looks slightly different every time he appears. He really doesn't have a definitive look. Shoulder pads or straps or boots or armor or gloves or gauntlets, it all changes depending on the artist. Funky orange space suit is the one constant and it's represented here. This works just fine for me.

I think the Series 5 look is as close to the Official Handbook costume as the original Mate was.

12 hours ago, MisterMiracle said:

For the most part, they do fit in.  You can tell the difference in the details but they're close.  That's not my issue.  My issue is with being told that an animated or modern look is close enough to the classic re-do you wanted so just accept it.  If we finally get a new Abombination and it's the more recent blue version instead of the classic green and someone says something, I feel like people are going to say "Blue is close enough to green."

I also certainly think it doesn't help the chances of seeing a regular version of a character you were looking forward to if they make an animated style one.  I could be wrong but I don't think we've heard or seen plans for regular versions of the GOTG, Man-Thing, Nighthawk, Squirrel Girl, Hyperion, Speed Demon, Dr. Spectrum, or Ms. Marvel after seeing them in the animated line.  I'm ok with the animated versions of those but if you're a huge fan of those characters you might be a little bummed out that you're probably not going to see a regular version of them anytime soon.

I never told anyone to accept it, I just think they blend fine, as you seem to. Is it possible we'll never revisit these new characters in the comic line? Sure. Are we getting a bunch of new characters in the comic line who will likely never appear in the animated line? Also sure.

You take the good with the bad, unless you simply modify your criteria for "good," and then it's all good! Like the old adage says, these could just as easily not exist. Walgreens is making more characters possible.  

10 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Yeah, I'm flashing back to the recent Bobby Drake Debate.

I'm all for making lemonade from lemons but don't hand me a glass of warm piss and tell me it's mouthwash... from a certain point of view.

That's a different situation, in that we were taking about two comic costumes with minor differences, and people wanted us to make it inaccurate to satisfy a different need than the one it was intended for. 

But comparing either situation to being asked to drink a glass of warm piss is a new level of exaggeration, even for you, PL. A Minimate where there was black instead of white? A Minimate with a few less detail lines? Come on.

Chuck and Robert and Uriel and Barry have kept the line going for 15 years. Decisions like making Animated Minimates for Walgreens are what has kept it alive. I'm sorry that people can't enjoy the new characters and re-dos in the formats in which they are being offered. I hope we eventually make what you want.

Zach, in your wildest dreams, did you ever think that you would need to comment on a warm glass of piss in your duties with a toy company? 

minimate-things_zpskcfygjgc.png

Chuck&

Robert&

Uriel&

Barry&

˙ɥɔɐZ

IMG_1274.JPG

My takeaway is that Zach drinks mouthwash.

You really should spit that out, Zach. Seriously.

11 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Making History is the best.

This!