UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Gotham Minimates- it's Official!

On 12/23/2016 at 9:35 AM, youbastards said:

My daughter has a bunch of those blind bag minifigs in her stocking right now.  Santa also found a full set of the TRU exclusive TTG Dorbz.

I picked up a couple of Blind Bags and my son got Robin and Speedy.

That would be great if they did some YJ minimates. The designs for most of the heroes and villains are close to the comic designs and there are so many characters in that cartoon it could definitely expand the dc minimate roster.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pretty much given up on this show resembling the comic book continuity for the most part. Tweaks and updates are one thing but it looks like they're doing exactly what detractors were afraid of; a Batman show without Batman. 

But yes, the Minimates are terrific. Especially in the absence of DC Comics Minimates, I look forward to collecting them all. I just need a carrying case that looks like Arkham Asylum.

23 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

I've pretty much given up on this show resembling the comic book continuity for the most part. Tweaks and updates are one thing but it looks like they're doing exactly what detractors were afraid of; a Batman show without Batman. 

But yes, the Minimates are terrific. Especially in the absence of DC Comics Minimates, I look forward to collecting them all. I just need a carrying case that looks like Arkham Asylum.

i like to think of it as a what it story line, i stopped even wanting to see batman, i like the whole universe they built. i enjoy the cheeseiness of it at times too, i feel like it has the right amount.  

i wouldn't be surprised or mad if we even get gordon as batman at one point. lol .

i really do like the show for what it is & glad you can tell that they stopped trying to make everyone happy and the show is better for it. 

My big complaint right now is how they're handling The Joker.

In my DCU, Batman inadvertently created his greatest nemesis when he knocked the Red Hood into that vat of chemicals. Jack Napier didn't kill Bruce's parents (sorry, Mr. Burton). Joker wasn't already a player when Gordon formed his alliance with Batman (sorry, Mr. Nolan). Jerome didn't become Joker before Bruce even before he came up with the bat-gimmick (sorry, Fox). I'm not even a fan of the clown yet I'm still waiting for a live-action Joker to be done "right" in regards to his comic book origins.

That said, I enjoyed last week's episode quite a bit. When viewed as an Elseworlds story, it's easier to sit back and enjoy the ride. Cameron Monaghan was a pleasure to watch. His proto-Joker is creepy and funny and unpredictable and has the potential to be my favorite incarnation. And David Mazouz is turning into a pretty familiar Bruce Wayne. All that's missing – for the moment – is a candlelight oath to his parents to seek justice while making them proud.

Barbara Kean, on the other hand, is a friggin' train wreck. I don't see how Barbara Gordon comes from that but, again, as an Elseworlds story, she doesn't have to. 

1 hour ago, MisterPL said:

My big complaint right now is how they're handling The Joker.

In my DCU, Batman inadvertently created his greatest nemesis when he knocked the Red Hood into that vat of chemicals. Jack Napier didn't kill Bruce's parents (sorry, Mr. Burton). Joker wasn't already a player when Gordon formed his alliance with Batman (sorry, Mr. Nolan). Jerome didn't become Joker before Bruce even before he came up with the bat-gimmick (sorry, Fox). I'm not even a fan of the clown yet I'm still waiting for a live-action Joker to be done "right" in regards to his comic book origins.

Agreed.

I think the Caesar Romero and Jack Nicholson versions are the best so far. One is a much darker side of the same version, but both are gleeful and clown-like. 

Heath Ledger was okay but his character should've been the Anarchist instead (sorry Tike Alicar!).

And the Jared Leto version? Christ. Not even. 

actually Barbara Kean the first 2 seasons i HATED, but new mob boss barbara i actually love, she's fits the crazy role better now in my opinion she doesn't feel like she's trying too hard & she's just a crazy tough chick lol 

i honestly just never liked Fish . her acting was too over the top , even for gotham lol . 

speaking of fish i'm surprised we didn't her a mate of her already. she might hold up the likeness rights or something. 

1 hour ago, Mystery Man said:

Agreed.

I think the Caesar Romero and Jack Nicholson versions are the best so far. One is a much darker side of the same version, but both are gleeful and clown-like. 

Heath Ledger was okay but his character should've been the Anarchist instead (sorry Tike Alicar!).

And the Jared Leto version? Christ. Not even. 

Romero was cool if only because we knew nothing about his origins, which is fine because back then we knew very little about him anyway. (I always want to see Frank Gorshin as Joker instead.) The problem I had with Nicholson was his age. Had that movie been done 10 or 15 years earlier, almost everyone in it would have been that much better. The cast seemed just past their prime but at the end of the day it was Tim Burton doing HIS version of Batman. 

I have no idea what to expect from Leto's Joker. All I've seen is the extended cameo he got in Suicide Squad. There's obviously plenty of backstory to explore but I'm not sure we'll ever get to any of it. Hopefully Affleck will prove me wrong but it already sounds like he's heading in a different direction. I'm definitely happier with Jerome at this point but to be fair he's had a lot more time for character development.

14 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Romero was cool if only because we knew nothing about his origins, which is fine because back then we knew very little about him anyway. (I always want to see Frank Gorshin as Joker instead.) The problem I had with Nicholson was his age. Had that movie been done 10 or 15 years earlier, almost everyone in it would have been that much better. The cast seemed just past their prime but at the end of the day it was Tim Burton doing HIS version of Batman. 

I have no idea what to expect from Leto's Joker. All I've seen is the extended cameo he got in Suicide Squad. There's obviously plenty of backstory to explore but I'm not sure we'll ever get to any of it. Hopefully Affleck will prove me wrong but it already sounds like he's heading in a different direction. I'm definitely happier with Jerome at this point but to be fair he's had a lot more time for character development.

Frank Gorshin as the Riddler is the best thing ever, for that series to me. So gleefully infectious. What's interesting is that you mention Nicholson for his age but not Romero.

The DC movies are dead to me. When they keep continuing the grim Superman, then Affleck Batman from one film to the next it lets me know that DC (at least the movies) don't "get it" other than one-dimensional gritty heroes and douchey villains. 

Edited by Mystery Man

2 hours ago, Roccothegreat said:

actually Barbara Kean the first 2 seasons i HATED, but new mob boss barbara i actually love, she's fits the crazy role better now in my opinion she doesn't feel like she's trying too hard & she's just a crazy tough chick lol 

i honestly just never liked Fish . her acting was too over the top , even for gotham lol . 

speaking of fish i'm surprised we didn't her a mate of her already. she might hold up the likeness rights or something. 

Kean was supposed to be an ER doctor, which made a lot more sense to me. I have no problem imaging her and Jim hooking up after meeting each other at the hospital, a couple of do-gooders sharing information from different perspectives in Gotham City. Making her a socialite was a mistake, and the writers clearly had no idea what to do with her. She's MUCH more entertaining now.

As soon as I heard about Fish, I knew she was destined to die at Oswald's hand. It was only a matter of time before someone uttered "Penguins eat fish." Taking out her own eye was pretty hardcore. Her Minimate better include that detail. 

27 minutes ago, Mystery Man said:

Frank Gorshin as the Riddler is the best thing ever, for that series to me. So gleefully infectious. What's interesting is that you mention Nicholson for his age but not Romero.

Romero's Joker was part of a pre-established setting. That Batman was in his prime and already had a sidekick. Burton's movie was about Batman and Joker's origins. I expected them both to be younger. Coincidentally, Michael Keaton was the same age as Adam West (38) when cast as Batman. And as I recall, Christian Bale's Batman was 38 when he "retired."

29 minutes ago, MisterPL said:

Romero's Joker was part of a pre-established setting. That Batman was in his prime and already had a sidekick. Burton's movie was about Batman and Joker's origins. I expected them both to be younger. Coincidentally, Michael Keaton was the same age as Adam West (38) when cast as Batman. And as I recall, Christian Bale's Batman was 38 when he "retired."

Mystery Man's post really made me smile . :D

When Nicholson made his debut as Joker I was 34 & I never really considered him old at 52 (then).

When West was Batman I was just coming into my teens yet he was 38 ....& seemed way way older . Romero was 3 years younger than me (what I am now :confused:) in 1966 but he looked old . Unlike me.... now:whistling:

....& my point ?

Not really sure .....but for the love of God give me some 1966 Batman Minimates that I can be entombed with .

5 hours ago, TENIME_art said:

IIRC, there are no likeness rights issues with Minimates because of how the faces are drawn.

i thought i heard that on the pages before i didn't want to say it as i was not 100%

but that doesn't explain why sometimes DST don't even get close to the likeness on some mates while awesomely nailing others. 

if its not likeness theres got to be something going on with approvals.  regardless its all good! thanks for the info! 

13 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Okay, I getcha re: the ages and pre-established continuity.

I never got around to seeing the 3rd Nolan flick. By that point DC had New 52'd and that left a sour taste on my mouth.

Thanks bhm! And yeah, '66 Batman Minimates would be damn near the very best thing ever. Oh jeez! Multiple heads for Gorshin Riddler so his mask was pushed up on his forehead like he always wore it! ?

Edited by Mystery Man

12 hours ago, Roccothegreat said:

i thought i heard that on the pages before i didn't want to say it as i was not 100%

but that doesn't explain why sometimes DST don't even get close to the likeness on some mates while awesomely nailing others. 

if its not likeness theres got to be something going on with approvals.  regardless its all good! thanks for the info! 

Technically they're caricatures and protected by parody law.

However, when it comes to Bela Lugosi's Dracula, DST stays away from even resembling the late actor because his estate has a deal with Universal that requires them to receive a percentage of profits through a third-party license if a manufacturer wants to use his likeness. That's why you'll see a very different looking Dracula on official Universal Monsters packaging and product; they have their own generic Drac for licensees who don't want to pay extra for Lugosi. Ironically, DST could do a generic Dracula that looks just like Bela without a license at all since the character is public domain. That might sour things with Universal, though, and hurt (Back to the) future endeavors.

I have no idea what the deal is with Ripley.

18 hours ago, Mystery Man said:

The DC movies are dead to me. When they keep continuing the grim Superman, then Affleck Batman from one film to the next it lets me know that DC (at least the movies) don't "get it" other than one-dimensional gritty heroes and douchey villains. 

There is but one more last hope and its name is Lego Batman. Honestly it has potential to be the best Batman movie ever. 

I can accept Ripley's likeness not being perfect, it's just odd since, one, the previous Ghostbusters Danas' likenesses were so much stronger, two, she had the same hairpiece for Alien and Aliens, and three, all of the Ripley minimates have green eyes for no apparent reason.

I think the Bride looks fine.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean