UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man coming to the MCU!

Brad Redfield

You're still missing the point beyond belief. I don't want to see Peter Parker in high school anymore, that's so worn out. With a younger performer you go BACKWARDS sticking with the same problems and awkwardness we've had the last 15 years. Garfield's age was a problem because he was cast as a teenager, that's dumb. You can cast someone in their 20's or early 30's as long as that's the character they're portraying.

See, I don't doubt it's going to be a younger actor cast, but Hollywood Reporter doesn't even cite an anonymous source. They can write whatever and hope it will stick. It's not always reliable news.

Well, let's see. Raimi's Peter Parker graduated high school in the first flick. Webb's Spidey graduates high school just as The Amazing Spider-Man 2 opens. That's not a lot of screen time dedicated to the challenges of being a teenager with super powers and a secret identity.

And while THR doesn't cite its inside sources, MY point is that it's probably more reliable than the wish-listing fan sites that are now linking to it. (Though it hasn't been on the web as long, the publication has been around since 1930 so... )

But I agree. Things change. What's news or informed speculation today could be out the window tomorrow. We'll see.

Hopefully Spidey's web-shooters will be organic. That's certainly a better spider-power than "spider-sense."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new Spider-Man needs to be done similar to Cap 1. The established Sony (Parker) Spider is pulled into the MCU, perhaps with the reality gem, the majority of the film is spent with his working to get home to his own reality while training Miles to be MCU Spider-Man. Finish off with him getting back to his own universe and a big finishing Sinister Six battle. After credit scene of Miles hiding the gem somewhere obvious like a giant "A" on Stark/Avengers tower.

Older well trained Spider-Man: check

Sony movies happened abut not really: check

MCU/Ultimate Spider-Man: check

MCU requisite infinity gem: check

Big ending villain battle: check

Explanation for Parker and Miles: check

Anything missing?

A new Spider-Man needs to be done similar to Cap 1. The established Sony (Parker) Spider is pulled into the MCU, perhaps with the reality gem, the majority of the film is spent with his working to get home to his own reality while training Miles to be MCU Spider-Man. Finish off with him getting back to his own universe and a big finishing Sinister Six battle. After credit scene of Miles hiding the gem somewhere obvious like a giant "A" on Stark/Avengers tower.

Older well trained Spider-Man: check

Sony movies happened abut not really: check

MCU/Ultimate Spider-Man: check

MCU requisite infinity gem: check

Big ending villain battle: check

Explanation for Parker and Miles: check

Anything missing?

I actually don't hate this idea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was thinking the other day how Nat Wolff has the charisma to pull off spidey. If we have to go with a white Peter though my hope was Taron Egerton from Kingsman but obviously Marvel/Sony is aiming for someone younger.

Well I'm 18, skinny, with brown hair and glasses they could always give me a call. Shit, I'd probably do it for free too

• 1 month later...

I'm just sick of Spider Man at this point. Either make him an actual adult now so we can stop this stupid young parker nonsense, or move on.

Wasn't Spidey just a high school student in two of the films, though, out of the five?

He was in high school the first third of the first Raimi movie and in high school for all of The Amazing Spider-Man. Despite this, I don't feel that Peter's time in high school has been accurately represented on screen. Hopefully this new movie breaks out of the cliches that have been used to portray high school in films recently.

Edited by CBMM1

I said previously I really wanted an adult Spidey, at least mid 20's, bigger build and a little more seasoned and confident. I'm concerned that he's a tiny pale child who I can't even picture in the role yet. The best casting choices are usually people you can immediately see in the role, this holds especially true with the MCU.

As for Spidey being in high school, what exactly does that add to the movie? Awkward scenes where he's bullied or accidentally reveals his powers? Things we've seen before? Or maybe he can take pictures and we can have another skateboarding montage!

Also my biggest fear about this new series is the probability of villains being re-used. I thought I read MCU Spidey has nothing to do with Sony Spidey right? They're not going to throw the Sinister Six at him out of the blue? It doesn't feel like there's a lot of choices left..

I said previously I really wanted an adult Spidey, at least mid 20's, bigger build and a little more seasoned and confident. I'm concerned that he's a tiny pale child who I can't even picture in the role yet. The best casting choices are usually people you can immediately see in the role, this holds especially true with the MCU.

As for Spidey being in high school, what exactly does that add to the movie? Awkward scenes where he's bullied or accidentally reveals his powers? Things we've seen before? Or maybe he can take pictures and we can have another skateboarding montage!

Also my biggest fear about this new series is the probability of villains being re-used. I thought I read MCU Spidey has nothing to do with Sony Spidey right? They're not going to throw the Sinister Six at him out of the blue? It doesn't feel like there's a lot of choices left..

Scorpion, Kraven, and the Vulture all haven't had a chance to shine. And Scorpion and Vulture I feel could carry their own movie. Especially if they stick with the Jameson story on Scorpion. It'd be fun to have a Spider-Man villain that wasn't primarily interested in killing Spider-Man but instead went after Jameson and the climax was Spider-Man protecting him. Smythe and the Spider Slayers haven't appeared either. And Mysterio who'd make for a great later movie villain to really mess with Peter's mind. Rhino was barely touched but I'd see him more as an "Opening scene takedown" kind of villain. Same with Shocker who I think would be perfect to open MCU Spider-Man with. Since it hopefully won't be an origin, we could really have a nice throwdown with Shocker to start things off and run with it. But yeah, if they introduced Vulture as their first movie villain (considering he was Spidey's second ever enemy it'd be appropriate) to start off a Sinister Six chain I wouldn't complain. But there are great Spider-Man villains out there who haven't had their movie yet. And don't forget they really REALLY need to redo Venom.

Yeah, but. . .he's the most important character in Marvel, and is that way for a reason. He has staying power, and readers can relate to him. I've never read a comic with Miles in it, so I can't speak to that really, but for myself, I want Peter Parker Spider-Man. If they want to add other Spider-type characters like "Spider-Gwen" or "Spider-Ham" or "Spider-Miles" or what have you, then I'm fine with it, but let's keep Parker as the constant, and primary Spidey please.