UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

View Askew Minimates

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun Fact if you don’t want to drive around looking:

TRU.com offers “in store pick up" on any item that ships in a sold case.

So since the Clerks set ships as its own item not part of an assortment you can just look up it on TRU.com, pick “find a store” and it will tell you who in your area has the item, you don’t even need to order, just drive to that store and buy it...

Fun Fact...

That practice will end up costing you gas in the long run when the website's inventory doesn't reflect what's actually available at the store.

Step 1) A truck arrives at Toys R Us with six of item X on its manifest

Step 2) The manifest for that truck is received, entering six of item X into the store's electronic inventory

Step 3) You search for item X on the website, enter the store's number for the location, and are told it is in stock

Step 4) You drive to the store where...

A - the item hasn't been unloaded from the truck

B - the item was unloaded and all six have since sold

C - the item was unloaded, one was put on hold for an associate, one was put on hold for someone who called, and four sold

D - the item wasn't even physically on the truck, despite being on the manifest

E - the item was unloaded but stocked "somewhere"

Any of these possibilities = time/gas wasted and I see it happen probably once per shift. Now, even if you place the online order, the process is far from flawless. Repeat steps 1 - 3...

Step 4) You pay for the item on the website to be held at the store for pick up. You receive an e-mail telling you your order has been received and to await a "Ready for pick up" e-mail

Step 5) Someone at the store gets the alert and goes to look for the item

Step 6) When they can't find the item because of A,B,C,D, or E they cancel the order and a refund begins to process to your card, a process that can take up to several days.

Bottom line, and I keep saying it... find a Toys R Us employee who you can talk to who seems trustworthy/diligent and strike up a rapport with them. They will likely do what they can to help you and they'll be far more dependable than the website. Repeat steps 1 & 2...

Step 3) Call the store and ask for item X; either

A - the person you ask will transfer the call to a sales floor associate

B - the person you ask will check the computer's inventory (remember, this just goes off the truck manifest); ask to have someone on the floor check

Step 4) If you've been told the item is in stock but the sales floor associate says it is not, ask them to check the date last received. At least one or two people on any shift SHOULD be able to check this and it will give them an idea as to whether it's sitting out back on an unprocessed truck. They MAY even be willing to go out back and see if they can find it.

NOW... Here's the most important part... If they find the item, ask to have it held. At least once... every OTHER shift?... someone comes in after verifying stock only to find the item has since sold.

Edited by Mnemosis

Sorry for the rant. I get a lot of customers who are upset with the store/me for their inconvenience when really they're just not being smart about how they shop. My team and I are pretty great at delivering good customer service, but we still end up with customers who are irate over mistakes they themselves made that have left them empty handed.

Shop smart. Shop S Mart.

Mnemosis, on 22 Oct 2014 - 22:44, said:

find a Toys R Us employee who you can talk to who seems trustworthy/diligent and strike up a rapport with them. They will likely do what they can to help you and they'll be far more dependable than the website.

now this is all well and good, and I have one of those at the TRU I go to the most. But here’s the problem:

Not every store around here carries the minimate four-packs anymore. Only one store got in PvZ, and a different store is the only one to get in the clerks so far. (neither have been at my preferred store, I’ve had to drive 20 miles in either direction to get to them)

If the options are:

-Blindly drive around until you find a store

OR

-Use Store Locator to narrow the search

then using Store Locator is the best option, because the best my store’s employee can do is tell me “this store should have them...” (have a whole huge story about trying to find some Monster High dolls and how the good store tried to call a sh*ttier TRU an hour away who came up in the system has having eight in stock to have them hold one for me, got a busy signal, I drove there because because I was bored, nothing on the shelf, not even the less desirable figures from the case that every other store has had left as a sign I was too late, so I go up front and the rude teenager at the front desk wouldn’t even check the system because “our system is probably just wrong”... but that’s the meat of the story so no need to go into it.)

I’m aware there’s a good chance the Store Locator is wrong, but sometimes it’s better to deal with a computer who’s flawless mechanical mind doesn’t understand the difference between “in back, on the floor, being held, hidden under a crib for some a-hole to buy later” then it is to deal with a bored teenager at a store you rarely go it.

I suppose that's fair.

As the diligent employee, I just feel bad for the people who make an unnecessary drive when I could have saved them time and gas money. Moreover, being blamed for said wasted trip when it was the customer's own fault for not doing their own due diligence just peeves me

I suppose that's fair.

As the diligent employee, I just feel bad for the people who make an unnecessary drive when I could have saved them time and gas money. Moreover, being blamed for said wasted trip when it was the customer's own fault for not doing their own due diligence just peeves me

Yeah, but that's the problem, a company as large and established as TRU *should* have a trustworthy computer and inventory system in 2014. Customers are used to the convenience of Amazon, where when I order something, the thing I ordered arrives. If the established system is really that broken where I have to call ahead when the listing clearly states 'available to pick up in store', then its really kind of backwards to blame the customer.

I suppose that's fair.

Yeah, but that's the problem, a company as large and established as TRU *should* have a trustworthy computer and inventory system in 2014. Customers are used to the convenience of Amazon, where when I order something, the thing I ordered arrives. If the established system is really that broken where I have to call ahead when the listing clearly states 'available to pick up in store', then its really kind of backwards to blame the customer.

Here's where I disagree... Amazon IS an online retailer. That's what they do. And they'll still drop the ball from time to time, shopping the wrong item or over selling an item.

Toys R Us is a brick and mortar store. I've heard the same complaints about the other leading big box chains. Yes, they all have an internet presence. But that isn't their primary channel for revenue; it is there as an alternative for the customer. Could it be better? Theoretically. But tell me something - how would you make Toysrus.com's inventory count 100% accurate to their shelved merchandise? Because just about the only solution would be for someone to scan each and every item as it is put out the sales floor, and that is an unrealistic expectation.

For decades, the simplest solution to verify a store's in stock inventory was a phone call. We're at a crossroads where the technology has advanced enough that there are newer options, but that they are not yet better options. Let me put this in perspective...

When I was a senior in high school, I had a cell phone and my parents had a land line. The cell had terrible reception at home. Now, imagine I'm almost home and want to call my best friend. I could wait two minutes and have a crystal clear phone call or I can call from my cell, dick around with shitty reception, and be mad at the cell company.

Bottom line: just because an option exists doesn't mean it is always the best option to choose.

I found the TRU Clerks set at my TRU today. They had four left after I grabbed mine.

I also finally saw the PvZ 6" guys (still no Minimates, though).

If each TRU could order their own stuff it would help a lot. If a manager who runs the store and knows what sells, isn't able to order more stuff that he's seen fly off the shelf, well it seems to be a weird business strategy.

Edited by Zak Katz

Onyx, you saw PVZ figures at TRU?

And I feel for people who have a long way to drive for a TRU, but do the math on the gas you'll use to get there, and compare it to shipping on TRU.com. You might find shipping is cheaper, once you factor in time and aggravation. (This is for US shoppers, not BHM.)

Edited by DSTZach

There are a lot at mine, Zach.

And Zak, I agree, with a but... let's pretend that Wave 60 is going to be a TRU wave. Now, let's pretend I know four collectors who want the full wave. I, as a member of management, order four cases for my four collector buddies. Suddenly, my store is choking on Forges and Banshees and Storms.

THEORETICALLY, automated distribution works better. It doesn't, mind you. But theoretically it does.

Onyx, you saw PVZ figures at TRU?

You betcha! I even checked the back of the package to verify they were the DST figures. I also saw them at the two TRU stores I visited yesterday on my search for TMNT Kmart Minimates (Janesville and Rockford).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, wanted to give you guys a heads-up. Kevin is having a double screening of Tusk in Red Bank. We made up some Tusk Day promo blanks for him to give out there, but unfortunately it looks like it sold out before I could share the news with you guys. Not sure if every attendee is going to be given one, but if you know someone who may be going, you might want to ask if they can snag you one. There may be some extras available afterwards, maybe even on the site, but you'd need to check with the Stash. I'm going to try to snag a handful to send to Shanester to give away here.

http://seesmod.com/tuskyes/

Hey, wanted to give you guys a heads-up. Kevin is having a double screening of Tusk in Red Bank. We made up some Tusk Day promo blanks for him to give out there, but unfortunately it looks like it sold out before I could share the news with you guys. Not sure if every attendee is going to be given one, but if you know someone who may be going, you might want to ask if they can snag you one. There may be some extras available afterwards, maybe even on the site, but you'd need to check with the Stash. I'm going to try to snag a handful to send to Shanester to give away here.

http://seesmod.com/tuskyes/

That's really great news ... really great news ...... be sure to share with us any news about stuff like this... it's just great news.

Really great ...awesome even ..the fact that some extras might be available afterwards is heartwarming but hey I know lots of people who are going so I'll just pass ........

Might have a pic this week. I realize this is less than ideal, but I know there are people who care deeply about these things, and I figured a heads-up was better than me saying nothing and letting you find out once they were in people's hands.

I've asked about the Goblins situation, BHM, and hopefully that will be resolved. I do not know what will happen with BM&C. It's an unusual situation.

Oh, and I think your keyboard is broken.