UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Venom Through The Ages Box Set

mtd20_2000

I'll deal with Elektra first...please remind me,what changed ?

You mean besides the superior sculpted parts and more detailed tampos? Not a thing.

The recent art I've seen of Carnage all depicts him pretty differently from the source material the original minimate used. Lots of red, little black. If DST revisits the character a simplified tampo could actually do a good job of representing the current look.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean besides the superior sculpted parts and more detailed tampos? Not a thing.

:) I have no argument about which is the better version ,the sculpted parts are indeed an improvement & her new face is more in keeping with current 'mates .......nine years after the wave 1 figure I didn't expect less did you?

Take a look at Elektra ........ post-638-0-76808300-1354818876_thumb.gif

If we're going to get a new version of any Minimate let's have something that shouts it out rather than 'a slightly(?) superior sculpted part or two & more detailed tampos '.

The picture I included was a random picture chosen from hundreds after Googling 'Elektra' .....virtually ALL of them feature & emphasise Elektra's flowing locks & ......my criticism revolves around 'opportunities missed' rather than 'updated & improved'.

The new 'Rhino' is superb & follows this ethos but if you're happy with a couple of different parts & a new face who am I to say you're wrong :thumbsup:

Carnage ? I'll do the same exercise again ........ post-638-0-94938000-1354820319_thumb.jpg .....

I'm seeing the tendrils that were sadly lacking from the superbly tampoed original ......no-brainer what we OUGHT see on any new version.

We'll see. :rolleyes:

I miss McFarlane on Hulk, but that's a whole other matter. Carnage is Bagley's contribution to symbiote lore. And I guess it would stand to reason that Carnage looks a little different now, since it's a different symbiote now. Just don't anyone tell Marvel, since it was clear from "Minimum Carnage" that they've forgotten or chosen to ignore that.

I know that Carnage was Bagley's, sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I was lamenting on McFarlane's run after looking at those in tray shots. As someone else said earlier that bulked up venom screams McFarlane.

:) I have no argument about which is the better version ,the sculpted parts are indeed an improvement & her new face is more in keeping with current 'mates....................... We'll see. :rolleyes:

I see, I thought you were making a different point. I guess I am fairly satisfied to have a simple update of a basic character, like Daredevil or black costume Spider-Man. Other like Rhino (who I think is slightly overrated), Venom, and Carnage need more.

Received my sets from Luke today. Venom Unleashed is fantastic either way you display him. Flash has some pretty impressive detail on the sculpted parts. Regular Venom is a nice update and a good alternative for those who don't like the fully bulked-up look. Ann Weying without the tendril arms and bigger clawed hands is kind of a disappointment.

It probably would have pushed the production costs on this set through the roof, but i'm very curious to see how they would have tackled a Venom: The Madness minimate. DST's new VTM Select figure looks awesome with the interchangeable parts... and Minimates are all about interchangeability :biggrin:

As a fan of the early Maximum Carnage story arc and the fact that I got into comic books at a time when Venom was the most popular character I was really excited about this box set coming out. And it didn't disappoint at all. I love it. Funny thing is though my favorite figure in it is the Flash Thompson Venom.

So yeah, the awesome 90s-ness of this set got me thinking and with how people keep talking about a new Carnage...

I got a way for them to make a new Carnage...

How about a symbiote boxset?

Based on one of the various symbiote storylines of the 90s or something maybe? Anyone? ...Zach?

It could include a new Carnage, Scream, Toxin, and Hybrid maybe.

Future 2-packs could later on include Lasher, Phage, Agony, and Riot.

Edited by MST3KFan

So, when do we see Spidey Through the Ages?

That's a really good question actually. With all of the 'big name' through the ages boxsets we've gotten, I'm kinda shocked that we haven't gotten a Spidey set. It'd be, what, The Iron Spidey, the Amazing Bag-Man, A classic (either red/blue or black), and Ends of the Earth? Maybe a new 2099 in there? Or, maybe still, they could go with an alternate reality thing and involve some of those forgotten What-If variations.

It'd be fun to see them try something. Then again, the initial griping around here would reach epic proportions if the character selections were too vanilla.

Back on topic, I sincerely love this set. I was prepared to love the Flash Thompson Venom, but was totally taken by surprise at how awesome the rest were. (Although it woulda been cool if instead of Brock's ex-wife they gave us either a 'The Madness' Venom or a Mac Gargan redo)

I got this set on Wednesday, and two days later I'm still messing around with it! Excellent work with nary a QC problem in sight!

Kind of bummed lady venom doesn't include the symbiote arms (as shown on back of the packaging).

What arms are these again? I don't have it, thus... no package to view.

marvelminimatesSHEVENOM.jpg

I'll admit that my packaging is also long gone, but are they the ones she's sporting here?

I think "Agent" Venom is probably the standout of the set for me. I haven't read any of the comic (and kind of get the impression I wouldn't really dig it too much) but Tony Moore designed a look that translates really well into toy form. The mystery of what color Flash's hair is supposed to be still mystifies me, as I have a long-entrenched impression of it being red. At least, that's how I remember it looking in old comics, though a quick Google image search reveals that it kind of waffles between being red and blonde. Sites list it as "reddish-blonde" so there ya go. The armored chest cap is really neat and so clean looking; the emblem just looks great in a way that seemed missing from the Gargan iteration of Venom.

Venom Unleashed is also great, as we have a version that can stand next to the new Juggernaut, Rhino, etc... without looking shrimpy. The two heads are also pretty marvelous, though I may end up kidnapping a standard Venom head from someone else. Maybe. The semi-bulked up version is great as well and doesn't feel like a retread at all. Much appreciated are the two different Eddie Brock heads and the hairpieces.

I like She-Venom alright. She's an easy candidate for most obscure minimate of the year, though the cover of Sinner Takes All #3 is pretty well remembered. Love the little "collar" attachment she has; in fact, I wish I had more of them, to give one to any unmasked Venom I have. I do wish she had a head minus the black ooze though, as I'm one of those insane people who'd like to make a standard version of Anne Weying. Heck, if they'd included her glasses look, I might have gotten another to make a Debbie Whitman with!

Overall, a great pack. I haven't had the chance to pick up either Alpha Flight set, or any of the other con exclusives yet, but this one appearing at my LCS proved too much to resist. I can't wait to get the Hulk set soon, and see what Through the Ages box might appear after that!

Kind of bummed lady venom doesn't include the symbiote arms (as shown on back of the packaging).

Yeah - she definitely doesn't look as cool without them :(

I hope se still and up seeing them on another figure somewhere down the road.

@ Zach - was there any specific reason these were cut from the final product?

So, when do we see Spidey Through the Ages?

That's a really good question actually. With all of the 'big name' through the ages boxsets we've gotten, I'm kinda shocked that we haven't gotten a Spidey set. It'd be, what, The Iron Spidey, the Amazing Bag-Man, A classic (either red/blue or black), and Ends of the Earth? Maybe a new 2099 in there? Or, maybe still, they could go with an alternate reality thing and involve some of those forgotten What-If variations.

My guess... Noir, classic Spidey, an adult Peter Parker, 2099. I'd love one that looked like this, but that's just me. But in costume mates sell better, so maybe Iron Spider w/ leg extentions, an update original Scarlet Spider, the current Scarlet Spider, or maybe one of the movie costumes.

I ordered Venom's TTA today... but even with Luke's fast shipping I can open it for two weeks. Darn Christmas presents.

My guess... Noir,

Noir Spider-man please and THANK YOU, DST. Such a great series (really, anything from Marvel Noir. I miss that universe)

Can't wait to pick this up from being held at my LCS, looks so freaking fantastic. Shame about the She-Venom arms, but really they were gonna get tossed on Eddie or Flash anyway so not too big a deal to me.

I really just wish that Flash had a bit more white on him. It all varies book to book but a little more white (maybe on the shoulderpads) would break up the flat black nicely. Regardless, it's a sharp look from a stupid idea, but will be tons of fun.

Yeah - she definitely doesn't look as cool without them :(

I hope se still and up seeing them on another figure somewhere down the road.

@ Zach - was there any specific reason these were cut from the final product?

I'm assuming they ran out of room in the tool? Not seeing much of a difference, myself.

EDIT: (Not seeing much difference in hands. Shoulders would have been cool, but I assume the other bonus parts knocked them out of the tool.)

Edited by Zach Oat

So Zach, any chance next years TRU poll set could be a Spidey TTA set?

And yes, i can't believe after all of these years I'll finally come out as a fan of all the different Spider-Man Minimates and admit I want more. I've hidden for a long time, but I finally can admit it openly without fear of ridicule.

Well it's a set we wouldn' have to talk Chuck into at least. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming they ran out of room in the tool? Not seeing much of a difference, myself.

While I love this set, and purchased two, I think the loss of the tendril arms and large hands makes a huge difference for the Ann Weying minimate. For me, it's definitely the difference between putting it in a display and throwing it in a box.

So Zach, any chance next years TRU poll set could be a Spidey TTA set?

And yes, i can't believe after all of these years I'll finally come out as a fan of all the different Spider-Man Minimates and admit I want more. I've hidden for a long time, but I finally can admit it openly without fear of ridicule.

Honestly, I'd only be interested in a Spidey set if we got full tampos on them again. Or they did costumes that were not web covered like an updated Spider-Man 2099, The Amazing Bag Man, a Peter Parker with quick hero mask, and a modern or classic Scarlet Spidey.