UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Guessing Game

I know we've all read it, but from Zach's interview at Portrait of an Addiction:

– Are there any celebrations being planned for the 10th anniversary of the minimates brand?

Zach - Instead of doing a single event, or making a single anniversary assortment of product, we're celebrating the anniversary by turning up the volume to eleven on all of our existing lines, reviving lines that were thought defunct, overhauling a couple that needed a little extra something, and launching a slew of new properties that will blow people's minds. It's a non-answer, I suppose, but the announcements will start at NY Toy Fair in February, so be ready.

I figured rather than clutter up other threads, we could use one thread to play the guessing game.

1) Volume at eleven on all existing lines

2) Reviving lines (plural) thought defunct

3) Overhauling lines that needed little extra something

4) Slew of new properties that will blow our minds

Let the guessing continue!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. They need to turn the volume up to eleven on Marvel (the current announced waves are lackluster to me they need more new characters)

2. They need to revive Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and Street Fighter (I want Blanka and Ken among others)

3. Overhaul kind of goes with turning up the volume on Marvel

4. Slew of new properties. . . . . .well gosh the guessing on this is endless. If it was going to blow my mind it would have to be Star Wars or He-man.

Properties that will never exist, EVER! Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones. Those are all Hasbro in house (or as far as Star Wars goes, Hasbro has the distribution rights) and Hasbro has stated they don't want to play ball, so those are NEVER going to happen.

Why do we do this to ourselves? This isn't fun, it's pathetic.

Wait,a line that was thought defunct was the line with kratos whose control art we saw a couple of months ago. Also we were never told the name of the line and the only games kratos has appeared are:gow,a golf game,mk and soul calibur. Oh and lbp. My guess is it is gow. Rumors for gow 4 have been hitting the web for a long time. Also a reliable source has revealed that ps4 and the new Xbox will be revealed in e3 2012. Either way,I have no doubt that everything we see will be mind blowing!!!

But as far as new lines go I would l love gi joe,transformers and star wars but I think dc is more possible to happen than hasbro properties.

2) Street Fighter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit come to mind. Kellogg's would be funny. And I guess DC mates would simply be too much to hope for.

3) MAX. It needs a little something extra. MvC could be expanding past version 3, even beyond Uv3, to include the two previous releases. (again probably too much to hope for.)

Properties that will never exist, EVER! Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, Indiana Jones. Those are all Hasbro in house (or as far as Star Wars goes, Hasbro has the distribution rights) and Hasbro has stated they don't want to play ball, so those are NEVER going to happen.

Oh, you know it's fun to

. But, yeah, we'll probably never see those lines as Minimates. GI Joe and Transformers are Hasbro all the way. The other two are more questionable, but still not likely.

BRB, I think either Chuck or Zach has said that no more Playstation 'mates are planned, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Kratos.

My guessing:

1) I have no idea what to think about turning it up to 11. This year already looks pretty good, so I guess this summer and fall will be a nice Minipalooza.

2) With all the Capcom love recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see SF make a return to complement the MvC line. Trek could easily make a come back, just ditch the TOS/movie/new series line-up and go for themed waves, i.e., all TNG, all DS9, etc. LOTR could be interesting to make a comeback in anticipation of the Hobbit and would be good outlet for the mini-minimates we saw a while back. DC is more of the impossible dream, but it's still one that I won't let go of.

3) Overhaul? Battle Beasts comes to mind. That hasn't clicked just yet for me (or retailers either apparently). Although MAX is one of my favorite lines, I think it could be bigger and better and more story-oriented like Calico Jack.

4) HELLBOY and the BPRD!!! Sigh. The Hobbit would be cool, especially with the mini-Minimates. Otherwise, DST has really gone out there with choices, and I have absolutely no idea what else is even a possibility. When you look at the selection of Minimates, you realize anything is possible. I'd positively love to get a Marx Brothers boxset.

LOTR out of all of them is, I think, the single most likely we've heard of because of the sheer amount of Hobbitage that we'll be seeing come December. If LEGO thinks they can pull off a revived interest in LOTR enough that they make it, DST may have been inspired by that.

And hell yes it needs to happen. I'll be back into Minimates more than ever if it does.

Honestly I wish the window for Harry Potter hadn't passed already. If it didn't happen already it's not going to and that makes me sad... I'll have to let the LEGOs do the work.

DC... is possible. Quite possible. I'd love to see it happen but with a better assortment of characters than we got in the last few waves. F**king Ambush Bug while Two Face was still wandering around? No. Not acceptable. Honestly I'd be satisfied, incredibly happy even, if they only got rights to one big DC Property be that Batman, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Batman, or Batman. That way we don't get weird f**king choices like Ambush Bug or the Red Son variants before we even hear rumors of Two Face or Parasite or Scarecrow.

New properties... It'll be the Three Stooges movie! No please God don't...

Perhaps Men in Black? That could do with a nice box set or two, but not a big line considering that Jay and Kay themselves can only have so much done with them and DST likes releasing hero variants.

So taking out Hasbro's thing with Star Wars and Indiana Jones... I'd LOVE to see Minimates of the Japanese Kaiju like Godzilla, Mothra, and their ilk. Sure they wouldn't be in scale at all but at the same time you really can't deny that they would sorta KICK ALL KINDS OF ASS. Though honestly we know it won't be happening.

If we see a revival of Trek it'll be when the sequel to the 2009 Trek hits theaters. Meaning Summer 2013.

That's my guesses. Carry on wayward sons.

I know we've all read it, but from Zach's interview at Portrait of an Addiction:

– Are there any celebrations being planned for the 10th anniversary of the minimates brand?

Zach - Instead of doing a single event, or making a single anniversary assortment of product, we're celebrating the anniversary by turning up the volume to eleven on all of our existing lines, reviving lines that were thought defunct, overhauling a couple that needed a little extra something, and launching a slew of new properties that will blow people's minds. It's a non-answer, I suppose, but the announcements will start at NY Toy Fair in February, so be ready.

I figured rather than clutter up other threads, we could use one thread to play the guessing game.

1) Volume at eleven on all existing lines

2) Reviving lines (plural) thought defunct

3) Overhauling lines that needed little extra something

4) Slew of new properties that will blow our minds

Let the guessing continue!

As I stated in the previous thread, my hope is for:

1) Doctor Who - Thought defunct, gaining in popularity here in the US. WANT!

2) Star Trek - recent Q&A asked about the TOS Shuttlecraft, was NOT denied!

3) LOTR - Coming back in a big way for other licensors with the Hobbit coming out this year, rights-holders have worked with DST in the past :)

4) DC Comics - pipe-dream, I know. But I can dream!

Overhauling the lines? Universal Monsters perhaps? We should be seeing wave 3 at Toy Fair for sure.

SLEW of new properties that will blow our minds? This has me really excited! Something needs to take Ghostbusters' place, with a multi-series multi-year release (ALIENS and Army of Darkness please!) Plus, I'd love to see a return to the days when we would get random 4-packs for various movie properties - There are so many that would work for one or two 4-packs. Wouldn't mind a few more BTTF 4-packs to give us Clara and even some updated characters.

But I'm almost expecting (and hoping!) to see something Disney-related, now with the good relationship between DST/Marvel/Disney, there are SO many properties that would work as Disney Store Exclusive 4-packs (don't complain, they are easily ordered by mail! Although I'd prefer regular releases as well) (i.e. Roger Rabbit, Nightmare before Christmas, Alice in Wonderland, Pete's Dragon, Lilo & Stitch, Pirates of the Carribean, etc, etc, etc. Even a ride-based Haunted Mansion set would be cool!)

I am more excited for this year's Toy Fair than I have been in a LONG time! My only hope is they don't hold back too much for SDCC reveals.

Bring back the Kellogg's Cerealmates! :teehee:

Count me in! and word had it way back when, they were possibly going to be packaged in little cereal boxes!..... true story!:thumbsup:

edit...

I guess I'll add my hopes too.

I would love for DC to get back in the race... I personally think it would be cool to do a line based off the DC Universe Online game, where we could get accessory packs of the upgrades you get in the game for different styles and armors, and make our own heroes! add a generic hero with a DC hero, and some gear... could be a backdoor way into DC again.

just had a thought as I was typing this.... MAX Heroes! generic superhero themed minimates!:thumbsup:

Edited by Nervous

Oh, you know it's fun to

. But, yeah, we'll probably never see those lines as Minimates. GI Joe and Transformers are Hasbro all the way. The other two are more questionable, but still not likely.

BRB, I think either Chuck or Zach has said that no more Playstation 'mates are planned, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Kratos.

My guessing:

1) I have no idea what to think about turning it up to 11. This year already looks pretty good, so I guess this summer and fall will be a nice Minipalooza.

2) With all the Capcom love recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see SF make a return to complement the MvC line. Trek could easily make a come back, just ditch the TOS/movie/new series line-up and go for themed waves, i.e., all TNG, all DS9, etc. LOTR could be interesting to make a comeback in anticipation of the Hobbit and would be good outlet for the mini-minimates we saw a while back. DC is more of the impossible dream, but it's still one that I

won't let go of.

3) Overhaul? Battle Beasts comes to mind. That hasn't clicked just yet for me (or retailers either apparently). Although MAX is one of my favorite lines, I think it could be bigger and better and more story-oriented like Calico Jack.

4) HELLBOY and the BPRD!!! Sigh. The Hobbit would be cool, especially with the mini-Minimates. Otherwise, DST has really gone out there with choices, and I have absolutely no idea what else is even a possibility. When you look at the selection of Minimates, you realize anything is possible. I'd positively love to get a Marx Brothers boxset.

I wasn't talking about the sony line but for the unproduced line. The kratos art was not for Sony but for another line. But one thing I hope for is dc.The time is now with the new 52.

Another thing I remembered: when I asked DST at their fb page a couple of weeks ago about star trek I mentioned star wars minimates and my lack of faith at them becoming minimates. Chuck or Zach replied "never underestimate the power of the Minimate side" was that a nod? I know I'm just dreaming but hey,we can always hope for a better tomorrow,can't we?

Edited by beta ray bill

Another thing I remembered: whean I asked DST at their fb page a couple of weeks ago about star trek I mentioned star wars minimates and my lack of faith at them becoming minimates. Chuck or Zach replied "never underestimate the power of the Minimate side" was that a nod? I know I'm just dreaming but hey,we can always hope for a better tomorrow,can't we?

It's as if millions of minimates fan cried out in joy and were suddenly pacified.

It would truly blow our minds.

Star wars is being released in 3d so I think that the things we are gonna see are:

1)dc because of the new 52 and with marvel's success dc is gonna jump on the wagon

2)Lotr because of the hobbit

3)star wars or Lucas movie products in general cause the sw are being released and it has been stated before that the only thing holding sw mates back is Lucas.

I would add battle beasts but I think these will be revealed in comic con due to the countdown which has hit the web.

Cerealmates ? They'd be GREEEEEAAATTT ! The kubricks are generally cheap & amongst my favourites ....never going to happen though is it ? :no:

bhm hesitates but still goes for the easy shot .....I of course would love a Zach Oat minimate :biggrin:

bhm waits in anticipation for Frostie response from ZO

Dr.Who? Licensing problems ain't happening :sad:

Pickle mentioned in an earlier thread that he thinks Beverly Hills Cop and the Godfather will return via the TRU best of Paramount wave and my money is on that. Personally I'd love to see the ill fated Rocky III boxed set get released. Clubber Lang all the way fool! :mrt:

Edited by MINI_MYTE