UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Diamond: NYCC exclusives

Maybe the AFX thing was canceled... or Chuck and Zack were misremembering... I don't know.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If AFX does have a NYCC minimate exclusive 4-pack (which I'm sure they will), they will only announce it closer to the Con. They did the same with their SDCC exclusive. Oooo, maybe they'll play the silhouette guessing game with us again.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

AFX just posted on Facebook that they will announce their exclusive for NYCC in the next few days... Alpha Flight? Wrecking Crew?

I'd love for it to be either of those sets. But if not, I hope it's not something underwhelming.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Well considering how small the window to movie figures seems to be, I doubt it's the remaining Thor movie designs. You can almost see Chuck looking at us like we've lost our minds everytime we suggest the Wrecking Crew. (just something in the tone of his replies.) Wish that weren't the case, because I'd be hard pressed to think of a four pack I'd want more. Well... okay maybe not that hard pressed, but you know what I mean. I hope to high heavan that Dr. K80's wrong, but we all know that even in his sarcasm he could well be right.

AFX exclusives are usually really good and I thought they said this one was the best one yet. So I expect awesomeness. Like brotherhood of mutants or alpha flight level of awesomeness.

I assume AFX would refer to any new MM exclusive set as "the best one yet" for the sole purpose of selling it, even if the characters included were lame rehashes or boring characters.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Yeah, I really think we should manage expectations here. AFX has done some great box sets, but I can't remember the last one that had more than two new characters in it – and even the Thor set from this year involved an almost immediate re-release of Beta Ray Bill (okay, I guess all of the AOA characters were technically "new"). Myte is right; of course they're going to say it's the best set ever. They're not going to pump it up by saying it's pretty mediocre, or that we'll probably be disappointed by the lack of new characters. I could easily see a Captain America set with a Cap variation (battle damaged, Kirby-style?), a Red Skull, a re-release of Zola to squeeze a bit more mileage out of that one-shot sculpt, and a Falcon to make us collectors happy.

Then again, AFX has shown a willingness to stray outside of the Marvel box. Zombies are still riding a wave, and with the apparent new line coming out, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a zombie four pack to compliment DST's set. It would make sense for them to hype that as "the best set ever" because zombies have mainstream popularity, they're something different than AFX usually does, and zombie-related stuff seems to invite hyperbole. Assuming they mean an obscure Marvel team set is the "best ever" is looking at that statement through the very narrow focus of long-time Minimates collectors rather than a company trying to attract new interest in the brand.

AFX has always had comic-centric box sets in the past, usually with B-level or more obscure characters. I'm expecting something good from them for NYCC.

:whistling: Well, mostly comic based.

Are you holding out for Thor movie leftovers by any chance Nessex? ;)

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I actually prefer the comic based sets. I wouldn't be disappointed if we saw a Thor Movie boxset with Fandral, Hogun, Powered up Destroyer & Heimdal - but i would much prefer to see Brotherhood of Mutants, Alpha Flight or the Inhumans. and i actually think any of those sets could have a pretty good chance at being revealed!

Not sure if this has been posted, but I got an e-mail from AFX this morning and they were soliciting the DST NYCC minimate exclusives (fireman / Spidey & Biker Zombie / Surgeon Zombie). Well I clicked the link which brought me to their website and on the zombie page I noticed another image below the one we've all seen. It seems we'll be getting a second set of heads with our zombies (that's my guess anyway). Speculate away my friends.

post-85-0-67780400-1315825948_thumb.jpg