UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Keep or Toss

Rheul

Ok Im an opener. But, since most Minimates can easily be put back in their boxes, I kept all of the packaging. I had all my Mates (or most of them) on display with all my other toys in my computer room. My wife and I are expecting our first child so so my computer room is becoming a nursery and I'm moving all my stuff into the basement. My question is... Should I throw out all my Minimate packaging? I fear if I keep saving this stuff I'll one day end up on that Hoarders show.

Have you considered instead of tossing them, putting them on ebay? As long as you clearly mark that they are open packages with no Minimates included, you shouldn't have a problem.

There is some kind of strange market for Minimate packaging on ebay. I think it is either collectors that started late looking to box up their loose collection, or nefarious types looking to repackage loose mates and sell them as new.

Either way, any bit of money is going to help out with a nursery. Congrats on the kid, BTW! :thumbsup:

Edited by youbastards

I think it depends on if you think you'll ever have any use for them again. I had saved a bunch of action figure boxes once upon a time; not Minimate boxes (I wasn't buying them then), but stuff like Famous Covers boxes. They were cool, but useless. When I moved, I ended up just tossing a lot of them, but others I used by putting the figures back (like those old Toy Biz gift sets). So if you think you have a legit future use for them, as storage or whatever, then keep them, but if you've just been saving them for the sake of saving them, it's probably time to cut the cord (baby pun intentional!). Even space in your basement is going to become a bit of a premium now; if you haven't already, you're going to be getting a lot of stuff, both new and hand me downs, that you'll need to put somewhere. And finally... do you really want to go to all the trouble of moving them to the basement if you have no use for them?

Anyway, congratulations... your life is about to change in ways you cannot imagine. :lol:

I kept every item of minimate packaging until very recently. Since then, unless I've needed to keep the packaging for MMC review photo's I've chucked the lot away. The only stuff I'm keeping are the old style boxes from waves 4 to 13 as they are great for displaying your 'mates. I suppose I could have put the boxes on ebay, but being in the UK there's probably less call for them and I needed the space straight away.

Hmmm eBay is an idea but I would only do that in bulk. I cant be bothered listing the individual boxes. I kept them all because I figured maybe one day I'd pack 'em back up for storage of if I were ever to sell them I'd have the boxes (not that I would ever say they were never opened) but these days I just keep whoever isn't on display in my great big pretzel jar. I've got other boxes too for my DCD 13 inch figs and my Sideshow Sandtrooper. Ill be keeping those as well as the boxes I have for assorted statues like Galactus Minimate Max... I do have lots of other junk to toss too.Maybe I'll hang on to the boxes until I've done some more cleaning. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Do a bulk lot, clearly mark them at empty, use Media Mail for shipping. Someone usually doesn't read the label and gets mad (hint: don't use the word "Sans") but you can still make at least a few bucks for mates. Just go in with the realization that you would be throwing them out anyways, so whatever you make is a plus.

I faced a similar dilemma with all my Star Wars:Power of the Force cards and boxes. I thought I was keeping them because one day they might be important. Chucking them to the recycling was very freeing.

I think putting them on E-Bay is a great idea. But if that doesn't work out, I suggest recycling them. More space for your baby is more important than a big box of boxes.

• 2 weeks later...