UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men: First Class movie

DaveOMac

I know the tactic well - but i'm quietly hopeful for this film. I'm trying to beat that little ray of hope down, but it keeps on beaming.

I'm a fan of the books & i really did like the first 2 x-films. Knowing that Brian Singer is over-seeing this as producer & that Matthew Vaughn is directing keeps that ray of hope alive. I really enjoyed both Kick-@$$ & Stardust. I even thought they were two of the best/funnest films released in their respective years. I'm trying to be skeptical, but hope springs eternal . . .

Here, does this help beat the ray of hope back down a notch?

I feel your pain Nessex; I'm doing my best to be pessimistic (while secretly hoping to be pleasantly surprised by a decent film), especially since I was told by my wife that we're "definitely going" to see this in the theatre (damn you Mr Tumnus!!).

[promo] btw for those that haven't seen Stardust before, give it a try. Yes it looks like it would be a really cheesy movie at best but it is really good; good movie for the entire family :thumbsup: [/endpromo]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MarvelousNews.com has posted some Character Preview clips of Banshee, Havok & Beast.

I'm not letting myself watch them as i'd like there t be some surprises left when i actually see the film, so i'm not sure how much new footage is in them.

• 3 weeks later...

i love how a bunch of people basically say "we all know the story, yet they have continued to make it fresh" when they must obviously not know the story by saying that :P

Ok so I've just got back from watching this this afternoon and it's very, very WOW!! It ties in to the other films superbly, and for me Shaw & his powers stole the movie. Go & watch ASAP & watch out for 2 cameos, 1 we already know about & the other was a nice fleeting surprise!!!

5 stars

I too, got back from watching it this afternoon... beautiful film, and somewhat sad.

certainly captured all that was good from the existing films, without the bollocks. The continuity was good, without having shoehorned too much in (even the inevitable cameo was pretty funny). When this was first announced I was as worried as anyone, with director and cast problems it all seemed a little unnecessary and patchwork. Having been a huge naysayer at first, this was good stuff.

The characters were likeable, especially McAvoy as Charles... I've never been a huge fan before, but he was everything you expect from a young Prof X. I certainly bought this iteration of the Hellfire club as a serious threat, there were even put you couldn't help but wonder how the good guys were actually going to win. The only irritating character was stripper Angel, but going by some of you lots comments at the time of announcement, is that not the point of her? I have no pre-existing knowledge of her myself.

No doubt this will do quite well, and they'll be talk of X-Men: Second Class or something silly... I do hope this is allowed to remain a (sort of) stand alone film, maybe move things on a decade and see how things have... evolved (hahahahahahahahaLOLZ!!!!1!!).

My only problem with this film, is that it essentially killed any hope of a 'proper' first class movie, with Cyke, Jean, etc. I'd have loved that.

... just to put this opinion into context, I read a fair amount of comics, but am not one of these slobbering fanboys who whine about film changes to back stories, costumes, etc.

I saw it this afternoon and thought it was fantastic, and probably my favorite X-Men film. It is definitely an adult movie, and Professor X and Magneto are superb as the leading characters. Kevin Bacon also did well as Shaw. The characters of Mystique, Havok, Beast, and Banshee are also fun.

There are some awkward inconsistencies between later films (Moira's age, occupation, accent; etc), but the film still works well. My only complaint was January Jones as Emma Frost. While she looked the part, she seemed off to me. Maybe it was because she was taking orders throughout the movie, she seemed to lack confidence.

I absolutely cannot wait for the sequel. Hopefully they keep the same cast/crew. It is refreshing to have an X-Men movie centered on Professor X, Magneto, and the X-Men... not just Wolverine.

Just got back from XMFC and must say it was great fun. Fassbender steals the show in my eyes. His portrayal of Magneto was superb and his globe trotting in the beginning of the film had a very James Bond feel to it. As for the comic book continuity.... Well as we all know it was ripe with inaccuracies, but for what it was, it was great evening out at the movies. Go check it out! :thumbsup:

Amazing amazing amazing movie. Probably the best of the 4. The relationship they built between Charles and Erik almost had me crying by the end. it didn't feel forced at all, and tapped into the general James Bondness that was prevalent at the time.

I suppose this is just another nail in the coffin of Wolverine. Seriously, what do we even do with that movie now?

ok my opinion: a comic book NIGHTMARE...however, one of the best films ive ever seen, deffinitely better then all 4 other films combined and hopefully the new standard of x-men films. The characters were executed perfectly even if half shouldnt have been involved, the 'youknowho' cameo was funny and the very breif appearance of a few other mutants was nice. The hellfire club was awesome, magneto was badass, beast was one BMF (blue mother f$#ker :thumbsup: ) and azazel makes me think we are gonna see an awesome nightcrawler.

also darwin was very very cool...im sad that i was correct about his fate :confused:

Great movie! The Magneto character was handled superbly. And for the first time in my life, I liked Sebastian Shaw! My only real gripe was the origin of the helmet. That was very glaring and I couldn't let it go. I mean, seriously. That's it?

Also, I was surprised how many people stayed until the end. Nearly 75% of the theatre was still full! Never have I seen a theatre that full for the end credits! I knew nothing was at the end but I like to stay to listen to the score. It was hilarious when everyone else let out a very frustrated "AWWWWWW!!!" :lol:

Great movie! The Magneto character was handled superbly. And for the first time in my life, I liked Sebastian Shaw! My only real gripe was the origin of the helmet. That was very glaring and I couldn't let it go. I mean, seriously. That's it?

Yeah that's about it... But it manages to show more than even the comic origin of the helmet did. After all when he gets it it shows both

his mistrust of Xavier and his unwillingness to allow him into his head anymore and him becoming more like Sebastian Shaw in his thinking. In the comics it was really just the first one as the helmet had no connection to Shaw. Magneto made it to screw with Xavier and... well that's all there is to say about it.

This was my favorite Marvel movie by far. I thought each character who got major screentime (this means Azazel, Darwin, Riptide, and Angel don't count), with the exception of Emma Frost who was seriously the only thing that kept this movie from being a perfect 10/10, was compelling and interesting, something that no other Marvel movie has done so far. And there was a s**tton of characters. Everyone, from the mayhem causing Alex Summers to Hank McCoy and his incredibly strange and INCREDIBLY cool feet, was cool. But make no mistake, this movie is ALL about Xavier and Magneto. Like all the other X-Men movies catered to Wolverine and nobody else, this one was all for the glory of Xavier and Magneto. AS IT DAMN WELL SHOULD BE! Those two are FASCINATING characters who deserved the movie they got. I'm glad they got to revel in having their own movie before (hopefully) they make a sequel to X-Men First Class that's more team focused and more about the Brotherhood. Really though, the thing I want to know most is where the hell do all of these guys go. There's only four of these characters that continue into the other X-Men movies: Xavier, Mystique, Magneto, and Beast. I want to see these teams, both the Brotherhood and the X-Men, fall apart and reform into what we know from the first X-Men film. And that's actually why I think that the sequel to X-Men First Class has more potential for incredible amounts of drama than any other movie. We know we lose some just like we knew we were going to see the Xavier-Magneto split. Butt Vaughn managed to take that story we know and make it absolutely incredible in the drama and in the characters. Something is going to cause MOST of both the Brotherhood and the X-Men to fail. If Vaughn doesn't just sit back on his laurels from this one, he's going to be able to make this split, this destruction, something to look forward to. I hope he can manage it and that he doesn't disappoint me. The X-Men franchise is back for sure. Matthew, PLEASE make it something worth seeing.

I seriously don't want a sequel. This was near perfection, and leads very nicely into X1. Just leave this the frack alone and let us have our questions.

If it makes enough $$ you know there'll be X-Men Second Class. We'll see Xavier recruiting Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm. Maybe he'll take another stab at recruiting

Wolverine

again and get told to

"fuck off "again.

:lol:

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I said the same as Dino, this really doesn't need a sequel, this was a wonderful stand alone piece.

That said, it does seem inevitable... and if that means a young Scott & Jean, then fair play

Yeah that's about it... But it manages to show more than even the comic origin of the helmet did. After all when he gets it it shows both

his mistrust of Xavier and his unwillingness to allow him into his head anymore and him becoming more like Sebastian Shaw in his thinking. In the comics it was really just the first one as the helmet had no connection to Shaw. Magneto made it to screw with Xavier and... well that's all there is to say about it.

Well, my issue was...

Are Russians experimenting on psychics? Or is the science just psychics can't go through metal? And the gift was just a happy accident? I know I'm reading into it too much.

And why does Magneto need to have a metal arm to take off the helmet? Isn't the helmet metal? I totally forgot about it when the coin came into play. My mouth was wide open during that scene.

I really do love Magneto and I loved his final scene. But I am just nitpicking at a really really great movie. Better than Thor, which I didn't think would be possible.

So anybody hear about Matthew Vaughn's thoughts on the opening scene of a possible sequel?

The Kennedy assassination due to Magneto and a metal bullet.

See end: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?id=32494&page=article

So anybody hear about Matthew Vaughn's thoughts on the opening scene of a possible sequel?

The Kennedy assassination due to Magneto and a metal bullet.

See end: http://www.comicbook...94&page=article

Oh hell yeah! That's actually a great place to start. Imagine the mutants under Johnson. Imagine Woodstock with Mutants! XMFC has the potential to be the opening of Watchmen but with mutants. And I'm TOTALLY down with that.

I just got back from seeing this, and I have to say I was blown away. I can't do much other than echo what others are saying. This could very well be the best Marvel movie to date. And that cameo everyone's talking about was probably one of the best portrayals of that character on film. This was an incredibly gripping movie that I hope heralds a new beginning for X-Men on the silver screen.