UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

State of the 'Mates address

Valo487

I was thinking that my feelings on 'mates have been pretty strong both ways recently, some amazing stuff released/announced, with some real missed opportunities as well. I thought perhaps a thread where people can share how they feel about the line might be useful, since DST does come into the forum from time to time. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT THREAD. If you have a grievance feel free to share it, but this isn't designed to beat up DST, but hopefully provide feedback on the line overall, in regards to the waves, TRU waves, boxsets and what not. I'll post mine shortly once I get all my thoughts in order, but feel free to post yours, I'm interested to see what other people think.

I do hope the Hobbit can continue a fine Tolkenian tradition I'll cry DST, I swear I will!

I mourn for Lord of the Rings. I mourn for the lack of Nazgulness after seeing those photos of the protos. My favorite minimate is Sauron, bar none. He's a joy to look at and I am sad that they never made any of his servants. I want the Hobbit minis.

As for the rest of the line: Top notch boys. Top notch.

Quality Control.

So many things have been changed for the better (additional detailing on tampos, accessories, sculpted parts, etc) with Minimates now when compared to many of the early 'mates, but no change is more troubling to me than the feeling that as Minimates gain in popularity, they lack in quality. From my experiences, the quality of plastic used has worsened and is now a much softer plastic (see Friends and Foes), the tampos are not lining up properly and not as bright as they used to be causing dark base colors to bleed through lighter tampos (see New Mutants chests), and problems of missing or incorrect pieces are increasing with every wave. Paint application isn't as reliable as it used to be, particularly with Minimates that use the 'shiny' coats of paint (Dark Magneto, Wave 36 Iron Man).

The worst part of it is the inconsistency. Why is a set like the Classic Heroic Age almost flawless (minus the Spidey web tampo issues) while other releases seem to be suffering?

The occasional problem here and there is one thing, but when multiple people are asking if others have a problem with Dark Magneto's head not fitting out the package, then there is a bigger problem that isn't being addressed.

Again, these are MY experiences. I buy a LOT of Minimates with duplicates of many packs that I use for customizing, so maybe I am just seeing more problems because I am getting more than the average consumer who might only buy 1 pack. Either way, I know I am not the only one that is having these problems on a regular basis, and of all things that 2011 can bring with this line, more consistent quality product is what I am hoping for the most.

Oh, and Kang, I can't forget him. ;)

Edited by youbastards

Better quality control is up there for me. It just seems there are to many complaints as of late of collectors get screwed with shoddy product. I'd also like it if DST were a little more eager to hear input from the fans. Not neccesarily fan polls, but improvements that fans would like to see made or character suggestions. I know DST says they have things planned well in advance, but it wouldn't hurt to listen to the people once in a while. They wouldn't even have to acknowledge the fact they produced something cause we asked for it.

My feelings on 'mates are very mixed at times, because I love the line, I've collected it since series one and gave up collecting Marvel Legends and Marvel Universe because I was more satisfied with 'mates, but lately there have been some things that have concerned me. I'm not even considering no longer collecting, but I know I felt frustrated when I saw the lineups for series 38 + 40. In both series there is one new character and an army builder, two if you count the variant in wave 38. This is ridiculous, plain and simple. There is no good reason that your average TRU wave has as many or more new characters in it than a LCS wave, plain and simple. If a big name must be included to sell a wave(which in a LCS I feel very skeptical about) use one big name and allow people who aren't new to the product to have something to look forward to. Even if you like wave 38, were that many of you really hoping for a new Spider-man, Daredevil, Elektra and Iron Fist over say Winter Soldier, Baron Zemo, Kang, Falcon? I know I wasn't, and I have a hard time believing that there were a great number of fans really excited about this wave, and when a line has been around this long, you need that excitement. And considering the two waves mentioned were mixed in with a wave that has one new character and an army builder(37) and a movie wave which features more repeats, there's not a whole lot for long term fans to get excited about. But hey, at least we have the box sets right?

Yeah. Like the X-Force boxset featuring not one single new character. Brilliant. We have Wolverine again, and Deadpool who's rapidly becoming the new Everywhere Man, and no sign of Fantomex who we know has been made? Who made that call? What kind of logic does it take to not include one single new element in a box set? We've all bought box sets from DST before just for one new character, but it almost seems like they decided "If they'll buy it with just one new character, maybe they'll buy it with just a new paint scheme." They didn't even put in the effort on these that they did the First Appearance X-Men series, which had no new characters but they at least put some effort into it, I can't even say that here. It just seems like an easy cash in on DST's part, as this was not a team anyone was clamoring for, and they could have simply released Fantomex and called it a day, but I suspect the thought of a team full of repaints was too much to resist. As for the others, the AOA sets were awesome, loved those, and even though there were lots of character repeats, I never once felt like they were cheaping out on the product, they clearly put lots of effort into it and it showed, the New Mutants set has all new characters which I love, although I do feel the New Mutants set shoots a big hole in DST's claims that some characters wouldn't sell as a box set. Who knows those characters? If they can sell, so could the Wrecking Crew, all I'm saying. As for the upcoming Excalibur set, again I like the product but the execution could be better. They needed to release a new Nightcrawler, and the Juggernaut looks amazing, but those two could easily have been part of a new X-Men series and sold on there own, especially Juggernaut who is not known for his time in Excalibur at all compared to his villainous days. Captain Britian makes sense logically, but everyone who wants him ahs one, and judging by how cheap he can be had on ebay he's not a selling point at all, and I remember on this board when the set was announced seeing a lot of names who will likely not be made now because of his inclusion.

As for QC, I haven't seen any trouble personally, but the numerous posts don't lie, I would hate to see this line which was so dependable fall into that quagmire, the last thing anyone needs is to be unable to buy with confidence.

Finally, please, for the love of God knock it off with all the Spider-Men/Wolverines/Iron Men, especially if you're not going to be any smarter about it. For example: Six Armed Spider-Man and Lizard= Popular Spider-Man variation and major popular villain. Good call. Spider-Man and Iron Fist? WTF. Spider-Man doesn't even belong in the theme of that wave, I hadn't even seen that costume variant before they announced it, his ties to Iron Fist are tenuous at best, it just smacks so strongly of them trying to shoehorn him in there because they wanted to, even though they already had Daredevil as your name character. I'm not opposed to all variants, because they're going to happen one way or the other, but if you must at least be smarter about it. Noir Spider-Man and Hammerhead would be cool, but do I want to see yet another Spider-Man in wave 40 with another Green Goblin just because they finally figured out how to make a glider? Not really, especially when we had a Spider-Man in wave 37, 38 and now one again in 40. A glider would be cool, but if I buy that pack I'm paying 7.95 just for the glider, and frankly I don't think it's worth that. I know people can't wait to tell me to not buy it if I don't like it, but is that really what DST wants? People to not buy it? No. So what are they doing here?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 'mates, they're one of my favorite things I collect, and there's nothing cooler to me as far as the line goes as when a set like the first Avengers wave is announced, or the Thunderbolts boxed set. I guess the best way to describe it is I love the line, I don't love the thought process that seems to be going on behind the scenes at times. But when the price tag increases and there's less and less to truly get excited about, it becomes easier to leave something hanging on the peg, which isn't good for the line. Lately I've been more excited about the TRU waves, because TRU wave 9 and 10 have more new characters than the LCS waves do. I used to love that the TRU waves were a nice addition to the line, but they shouldn't be outdoing the main series themselves.

Yeah. Like the X-Force boxset featuring not one single new character. Brilliant.

Who made that call? What kind of logic does it take to not include one single new element in a box set?

It just seems like an easy cash in on DST's part, as this was not a team anyone was clamoring for, and they could have simply released Fantomex and called it a day, but I suspect the thought of a team full of repaints was too much to resist.

Finally, please, for the love of God knock it off with all the Spider-Men/Wolverines/Iron Men, especially if you're not going to be any smarter about it.

Valo487, it seems like these types of comments may fall into the "beating up DST" category and may turn this into more of a "COMPLAINT THREAD" which was not the wishes of the original poster of this thread. ;)

Edited by youbastards

I hope not, that wasn't my intent, that's why I made sure to point out positive examples even though they definitely go way overboard with it in my opinion. I'm hoping it's viewed as constructive, since I know it has to happen but I feel there are good ways of incorporating them and bad ways as well.

Also, I never felt it had to be a praise thread, if you have a grievance please share it, I meant that more in terms of being constructive and thoughtful about it, instead of just "Screw Dst!!" If there's something you don't like, what would you do differently?

That wasn't my intention, but at the same time some of their decisions do frustrate me a bit, so I guess that came out somewhat. But it's not my desire to insult them, but I do think we should express that frustration if it's not in a mean-spirited way.

Mr. Admin, fellow staff, my colleagues in the Multiverse, our distinguished guests, my fellow minimate enthusiasts:

We meet here today at a time of great challenge and great opportunities for Minimates. We meet at a time when we face great questions at home and abroad that will test the strength of our fiber as a multiverse. But we also meet at a time when that fiber has been tested, and it has proved strong.

DST/AA is a great and good company because they are a strong, free, creative people and because they created the single greatest toy/collectible anywhere in the world: Minimates. Today, as always in our history, we can base our confidence in what DST/AA will achieve in the future on the record of what they have achieved in the past.

The measures I have outlined in this message set an agenda for truly significant progress for this 'verse and the world in 2011. Before we chart where we are going, let us see how far we have come.

It was 8 ½ years ago on the floor of the SDCC that minimates were first unleashed to the world. In those 8 ½ years, because of the initiatives undertaken by AA and DST, the world has changed and a Multiverse was born. As a result of those changes, minimates are better today, more prosperous today, with greater number of lines and characters than ever before in our history.

As we look at the multiverse today, we find ourselves challenged by new problems. But we also find a record of progress to confound the professional criers of doom and prophets of despair.

Overall, minimates are more abundant than ever before, today. More than 200 figures from multiple lines were released this past year alone. That was one of the biggest years on record.

Despite this record of achievement, as we turn to the year ahead we hear once again the familiar voice of the perennial prophets of gloom telling us now that because of the need for more character variation, because of the QC issues, Minimates may be headed for a downturn.

Let me speak to that issue head on. There will be no downturn in minimates, they will continue indefinitely. I pledge to you today that the full powers of the Multiverse will be used to keep DST/AA producing and to protect the 2 ½ inches of articulated plastic we have all come to love.

We are engaged in a long and hard fight with QC. There have been, and there will be in the future, ups and downs in that fight. But if DST/AA is able to balance costs and quality then we as consumers shall eventually win our fight to get good quality product at a reasonable price.

We will take another giant stride toward lasting peace in the battle of new characters vs variations by continuing our policy of acceptance rather than confrontation and frustration. We will realize that it will take a few more Spider-Man and Wolverine variants to justify the costs of that new Kang figure.

As we move toward the celebration 1 1/2 years from now of the 10th anniversary of Minimates, let us press vigorously on toward the goal of worldwide minimate harmony. Let this be our Multiverse goal: At the end of this planetary alignment cycle, in the year 2012, the Multiverse will be in full harmony with all minimate releases and there will be a minimate set available on every street corner in the world.

What is true in terms of our Multiverse initiatives is true also in the world. This period we now are in, is a period which presents a juncture of historic forces unique in this century. They provide an opportunity we may never have again to create a structure of harmony solid enough to last a lifetime and more, not just minimate harmony in our time but minimate harmony in our children's time as well. It is on the way we respond to this opportunity, more than anything else, that history will judge whether we in the Multiverse have met our responsibility. And I am confident we will meet that great historic responsibility which is ours today.

My colleagues, this I believe: With the help of God (or Ivan {whichever higher power you follow}), who has blessed this Multiverse so richly, with the cooperation of the DST/AA, and with the support of the people of the world, we can and we will make the year 2011 a year of unprecedented progress toward our goal of building a structure of lasting minimate harmony in the world and a new prosperity for the Multiverse.

Ask not what Minimates can do for you; ask what you can do for Minimates.

God bless Minimates and God bless the Multiverse, may they both live long and prosper! Hail Ivan!

:buttrock:

Overall, I remain pleased with Minimates. DST has done a great job with implementing new designs and getting more 'mates on the market. The TRU deal was a godsend. Even if we do grumble about it at times, it has allowed for the line to expand. The unfortunate side effect of all of this is increased QC issues. I think that the Spidey Friends and Foes set is one of the best conceived box-sets out there, but the execution just didn't quite work, most of it for QC issues. Then there is the MAX line, which is overall great, but I hate that the secondary 'mates have blank chests blocks when they are not supposed to. And those are just the wide-spread, QC-issue-is-standard problems. There are still the occasional double left arms, stuck knees, etc. Producing MORE 'mates that are becoming ever MORE complex, these things are bound to happen, sure, but it does seem like it is happening more and more. (A cheaper factory, maybe?)

Another mixed bag is team building. I love the New Mutants. I also like the AOA and X-Force sets. But I have to ask, why start and come sooooo close to completing teams and then not? Choices like that can be frustrating, but, overall I'm happier with we get than I am frustrated with what we don't.

This past year we've also seen more and more divergence from the classic Minimate form. This is especially notable with the larger characters. The problem, for me, is that while Hulkbuster IM and Thing look good, Hulk just looks puny, even with a power house chest piece and those stupid duck feet. (Seriously, DST, just redesign them so they look like regular feet but taller.) I would like to see a 2.5 inch Hulk, no add ons, no boots, no chest piece. Just a 2.5 inch vanilla 'mate. The argument against that is gone now, I think. There used to be uniformity/a singular scale. there isn't anymore. I'm only more frustrated by the lack of 2.5 inch 'mates in the Marvel line when I read things like this from the January 10, 2011, Q&A:

Tim Taylor

Hey Chuck, Just thought I’d drop you a line to ask why you refer to minimates as being ” 2.5” tall” in your press releases? Also good job with the success of getting minimates into TRU and mixing up the lines so they are not just retreads of the specialty shop waves. T.

DSTChuck: Minimates are a 2 ½ inch format so we can add larger heads (leader) or feet and make them taller , the most we would go is 2 ½ inches. I am glad you like the mix, we’ve been working pretty hard on it and while its not perfect I do think we’re getting better.

Great question, Tim Taylor. And interesting answer, DST. You've now admitted that you've abandoned the 2 inch restriction. So let's get the 2.5 inch mold back into action, shall we? I think it would be great in the Marvel line. It worked wonderfully in the DCD line.

Speaking of DC Minimates... somebody make it happen. Please.

So, overall, I think DST continues to give us great products, but there is room for improvement. DST is definitely steering the Minimate line in a new direction, and I like that direction. Now DST needs to fully embrace it.

Mr. Admin, fellow staff, my colleagues in the Multiverse, our distinguished guests, my fellow minimate enthusiasts:

Ask not what Minimates can do for you; ask what you can do for Minimates.

God bless Minimates and God bless the Multiverse, may they both live long and prosper! Hail Ivan!

:buttrock:

SO SAY WE ALL! B)

Praise be to Lurch, for your eloquence is matched only by your mellifluence. Your stirring speech reminds of quotation from another great man, regarding the TRU shortpacks.

We choose to buy Minimates! We choose to buy Minimates and do the other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

I'm enjoying this parody of your famous annual State of the Union Presidential address to Congress & I guess that the president usually confirms that all is well ,as well.

Well all is pretty much well but it could be a little weller in my humble opinion. Whether anybody reads any of the crap I write is debatable but despite the myriad of posts...er ..that I ..er..post you'll rarely see me comment on anything 'prospective', 'prototype' ,'previewed' or 'presumed' because unfortunately I have become tired of being eventually disappointed & I just can't be assed to comment anymore. I'm at a point now where I find myself loving some sets & just shaking my head with others in miserable disbelief. I now no longer want my 'most wanted' (Falcon) because his wings will probably not fit without putting the poor guy in the fridge or taking a knife to the poor f*ck. I also know for sure that we'll get the whole Halo 'Rainbow' Brigade before they'll get anybody they'll actually fight . I also know that Universal Monsters were neither universally loved nor were they a monster hit .

There have been some beautiful minimates made this last year but there has also been some bloody disasters ,some dreadful choices of characters & TBH if I wasn't such a bloody fool for loving them I'd wonder why I was buying so many of them.

As that famous president also said (re:Lurch's marvellous post) "Ich bin ein Berliner" which, as you obviously know, in a Boston accent translates as "I am a jelly doughnut" <_<

Edited by buttheadsmate

Spider-Man and Iron Fist? WTF. Spider-Man doesn't even belong in the theme of that wave, I hadn't even seen that costume variant before they announced it, his ties to Iron Fist are tenuous at best, it just smacks so strongly of them trying to shoehorn him in there because they wanted to, even though they already had Daredevil as your name character.

You've completely missed the point here! This whole wave is based on "Shadowland", which has this version of spiderman show up in it. It would be like complaining about a black suit Spiderman in a Secret Wars wave just because you didn't know about it, but it makes perfect sense here!

So, DST makes a themed wave with the relevent characters around a *comic* story and tries to sell it in a *comic* book store and you complain just because you don't understand?? I'm personally not thrilled about it but at least they are being topical to what's currently on shelves in stores AND it's not another red/blue Spidey! This wave makes perfect sense from a business standpoint.