UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Possible Reason We Don't Have DC Minimates now?

monkeycrumb

So I see that Fisher Price has a kids line with Batman & Superman called Trio. It's their children's building block line, and TRU has a big display case near the Lego section.

These sets have 2-inch figures with them. I'm almost curious if this has an effect on the ability to license DC minimates due to their size, similar to why we can't have Star Wars minimates while Lego makes theirs.

Not to mention Fisher Price has deeper pockets than DST and could have easily bribed the license away from DST.

So, while this line is going, might this keep us from seeing DC minimates return EVEN IF DC chose to bring them back??

I think you'd have been better to have concentrated on commenting on this new (?) line rather than dragging up the ol' chestnut. I say that constructively because this thread will probably get consigned to the other DC Minimate threads....just saying!

To bring people up to speed these are the guys http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fisher+pr...6.c0.m270.l1313 .....ebay can sometimes be your friend when hunting for pictures of toys ! The first thing that strikes me is the similarity of the flying vehicles...sleds & batwings.....to the C3 sets but I guess that the C3 stuff was perhaps similar to previous DC productions or designs, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? The figures look OK with typical block-figure features although Supes features are uncannily similar again to the C3 version.

So do I personally think that 'TRIO' are inhibiting the inevitable release of future waves of DC Minimates? No.

I cast myself as a lonely figure actually believing that we'll get DC 'mates once more & I simply believe that there is a political impasse between DST & DC which will one day be resolved .

This however has all been discussed elsewhere.

Fisher Price is Mattel, I think Mattel and DCD have a "you do your thing at retail, we'll do our thing at LCS" thing going on so even though there are now DC Blockfigures at TRU if DCD wanted to make DC Blockfigures for LCS Mattel couldn't stop them... if they can both release the EXACT SAME GODDAMNED 'DEPUTY' LANTERN HEROES I think both can have two dramatically different block figures at the same time.

TRIOS probably just mean a C3 style "these aren't figures, they're legos!" backdoor way to get figures out can't happen.

Really there's only one reason: DC Direct exist and has no plans to continue minimates.

Remember how DST is always saying in Q&A's they either need to get licenses in a library or the license to make more then just minimates to be able to generate a profit?

As long as DCD exist, the license for statues, LCS figures, bust, etc. is all tied up. Should Mattel tighten it's partnership with DC so DC no longer sees the need for it's own toy line (which is unlikely, but hey, I bet it was just as unlikely Hasbro would cause Toy-Biz to just vanish too) maybe then DST can swoop in and pick up the statue,bust, DC Select license and then make minimates again just like they do with Marvel.

OR should DC Direct continue to exist maybe whoever replaces George Brewer (has his replacement been named yet?) will again look at the "vinyl/block" toy market again, and decide the reduced profits they got from minimates (when the waves weren't terrible like 4,5, and 6 and actually sold out) is better then trying to build a following from scratch on ideas like Blamoids and at least they'd have control over the products unlike when they re-release a Kubrick (don't you think they would LOVE to release a block figure line that was something other then "one figure + BEAR logo" for $40 every time a big movie comes out? or at least something to go along WITH the One figure + BEAR)

Exactly!

Why did they have to put Ma Hunkel in minimates then use strong characters in the darn Blammoids and the other "cutesy" line? I can still get the later DC waves because they were so porly planned. If only they had planned it like they knew it would end as soon as it did, we'd have a better line-up.

Shame they wouldn't allow mold-sharing with Marvel, they might have seen better profits if they had!

It feels as though Marvel and DC conspire against each other to the point where they won't allow their properties in the same scale at the same time!

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly!

Why did they have to put Ma Hunkel in minimates then use strong characters in the darn Blammoids and the other "cutesy" line? I can still get the later DC waves because they were so porly planned. If only they had planned it like they knew it would end as soon as it did, we'd have a better line-up.

Shame they wouldn't allow mold-sharing with Marvel, they might have seen better profits if they had!

It feels as though Marvel and DC conspire against each other to the point where they won't allow their properties in the same scale at the same time!

And the only loser is the fans.

Good to see Sinstro corps Sinestro & Mongul.

Shame we're not seeing em as Minimates.

I really think the DC minimates boat has sailed. Even with the shake-ups at DC and the success of Marvel, i can't see 'em getting back into bed with DST right now. The business relationship didn't work out and was disolved. Even if Georg is no longer there, i imagine that whatever reasons they had for cancelling the line will be remembered by whoever is still at DC.

although - as Ivan said, i'd love to be proven wrong!

It's just a bit galling that, in an increasingly competitive block figure market, DC would turn down a format

1) with a proven built-in fan base

2) that is compatable with numerous other licenses

3) holding a solid foothold in a major toy retailer

4) with a previous legacy library they could build on

in favor of a format

1) that has fallen flat on just about every other license they've taken on

I honestly do love Mezco as a toy company, but they've been pushing Mez-its for almost as long as Minimates have been around, and I just haven't seen them catch fire. Every license they've had, from Hellboy to Watchmen to Wolfman to Movie Maniacs to Pirates to Green Hornet (stop me anytime) have either been one wave and done or died in prototype.

It's ridiculous that some decision maker at DC hasn't seen wave 40 of Marvel mates being solicited, seen them on wave 10 at TRU, looked at BTTF, Ghostbusters, and Halo selling like gangbusters, and said "okay, can somebody just frakking call DST back."

Edited by Lobsterman

It's ridiculous that some decision maker at DC hasn't seen wave 40 of Marvel mates being solicited, seen them on wave 10 at TRU, looked at BTTF, Ghostbusters, and Halo selling like gangbusters, and said "okay, can somebody just frakking call DST back."

I must say I love this visual. Maybe with the DC reorganization it can happen without any execs admitting they had made a mistake. Easier to blame those no longer with the company. :D

Ok, so NOW they're putting out 2-inch Mez-Its! *sigh*

DC, WTF is wrong with you???

Have we EVER gotten Mez-It's AND minimates of the same property at the same time?

I guess that means no new DC minimates this year. I refuse to buy Mez-its. I guess they are trying to cut costs in the sculpting department too with their fully painted designs.

Have we EVER gotten Mez-It's AND minimates of the same property at the same time?

Not as far as I know ....in fact apart from Ozzie Osborne I can't think of a single Mez-It that has ever been as a Minimate. The fact that Mez-Its have a DC license will not affect whether DC Minimates will be made again or not .

Not as far as I know ....in fact apart from Ozzie Osborne I can't think of a single Mez-It that has ever been as a Minimate. The fact that Mez-Its have a DC license will not affect whether DC Minimates will be made again or not .

It's not a matter of "again", it's a matter of *when*, and this will surely push it farther back :(

That, and I strongly believe that DC doesn't want to compete with the Marvel minimates. Whatever DC's belief's may be on the matter, maybe they feel DC fans turned on by DC mates will discover and get hooked on the Marvel ones too. (remember that new fans do come onboard periodically)

Edited by monkeycrumb

It's not a matter of "again", it's a matter of *when*, and this will surely push it farther back :(

:rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't indulged you by posting because there are many other threads about DC Minimates which are for more informed than this one. I'm not arguing with you but just being realistic & simply trying to specifically answer your specific question . I was actually trying to give you some optimism at the same time......I failed , obviously, but please read what is being written specifically for your benefit ! In what way does a Mez-It resemble a Minimate ? It's 2" tall.....end of story.

Edited by buttheadsmate

In what way does a Mez-It resemble a Minimate ? It's 2" tall.....end of story.

Are Mez-Itz even technically block figures anymore?

This is completely unrelated to DC minimates being brought back or not, but the new format of Mez-Itz seems to be "mini-vinyls" are they being sold as such or are they pretending they're block figures despite being even less blocky then the original Mez-Itz.

...also I just looked at the solicit for the Batmobile to see if I could find out if they're "blocks" or "vinyls" and it says "the first Mez-It Vehicle"... OUCH! Poor Green Hornet, way to let him he's been canceled, just out and out announce another car coming 5 months after your planned release as "the first" (or has it not been canceled and even they forgot about the ridiculous bubble black beauty they're trying to sell?)

News just in : Tired of his own thread 'monkeycrumb' now realises that there is a thread devoted to DC Mez-Its ...which apparently aren't block figures anymore (nor previously). He now categorically refuses to buy any maybe a couple most of these .......& he won't might buy the Batmobile just (upper case :unsure: ) to put his DC Minimates in .......here's me thinking that the Batmobile was for Batman :rolleyes:

I, for one, REFUSE to buy most of these. Having said that, I *might* buy the batmobile JUST to put my DC Minimates in!

But, these things are going to be more profitable for Mez-co. Only one new-sculpted head (Batman), everything else is one basic buck re-painted ad-nauseum.

Now that Georg is gone, hopefully we can get DC mates back. But even better would see them allowing mold re-use between lines to keep them more profitable for DST, hence leading to more continued DC minimates.

wow, way to live up to your name butthead.

I won't be buying the main line. But, after they announce the Batmobile, I want to see one to see it it's compatible with my minimates. Same as people buying the AMT Star Trek bridge model for their Trek minimates. Don't know why you feel the need to be such a tool about that. Heck, if they made a Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Mez-it vehicle, I'd buy it for my GB mates. I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for you.

And you are very, very wrong in your opinion. DC Mez-its is a LICENSE for Mezco, whereas the original DC minimates were a work-for-hire for DST. A lot of licenses are exclusive, which is why we *can't* have Lego Star Wars and Minimates Star Wars at the same time - for legal, contractual reasons. This is potentially the same thing. As I originally posted about the Trio line - they are 2" block figures, and Mez-Its seem to be vinyl style 2". If DST got the license to do 2" minimates, Mattel would potentially cry foul over a competing 2" block figure line. Same with Mezco and it's 2-inch vinyl figure line.

Don't feel the need to "indulge me" butthead, I don't really care for your misguided opinions or high-and-mighty attitude.

wow, way to live up to your name butthead.

I won't be buying the main line. But, after they announce the Batmobile, I want to see one to see it it's compatible with my minimates. Same as people buying the AMT Star Trek bridge model for their Trek minimates. Don't know why you feel the need to be such a tool about that. Heck, if they made a Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Mez-it vehicle, I'd buy it for my GB mates. I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for you.

And you are very, very wrong in your opinion. DC Mez-its is a LICENSE for Mezco, whereas the original DC minimates were a work-for-hire for DST. A lot of licenses are exclusive, which is why we *can't* have Lego Star Wars and Minimates Star Wars at the same time - for legal, contractual reasons. This is potentially the same thing. As I originally posted about the Trio line - they are 2" block figures, and Mez-Its seem to be vinyl style 2". If DST got the license to do 2" minimates, Mattel would potentially cry foul over a competing 2" block figure line. Same with Mezco and it's 2-inch vinyl figure line.

Don't feel the need to "indulge me" butthead, I don't really care for your misguided opinions or high-and-mighty attitude.

Not getting involved in the scuffle, but:

Why would Mattel throw a fit? They rival with tons of other companies with DC licenses. Hell, the only "block figures" they even have are Trio, a totally kid-centric line. Not to mention they are two completely separate markets, and as you yourself said, hold a license. It's not like they're the only company to make DC toys, nor do they have exclusive rights.

And with Mezco, being an even (and much) smaller company, i doubt they have an exclusive license as well. Besides, again, two separate markets: vinyl collectors, not block figure collectors. Hell, Kubricks have (or is it had?) a DC license and have (/had) no issue with releasing figures alongside Minimates.

I don't think DC/D cares who they lend their licensing rights out to. Point being, that's not going to affect us getting DC Minimates.

What will affect it is that we just aren't. If people haven't accepted this line's death by now...well...it's more than the time to start.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Not getting involved in the scuffle, but:

Why would Mattel throw a fit? They rival with tons of other companies with DC licenses. Hell, the only "block figures" they even have are Trio, a totally kid-centric line. Not to mention they are two completely separate markets, and as you yourself said, hold a license. It's not like they're the only company to make DC toys, nor do they have exclusive rights.

And with Mezco, being an even (and much) smaller company, i doubt they have an exclusive license as well. Besides, again, two separate markets: vinyl collectors, not block figure collectors. Hell, Kubricks have (or is it had?) a DC license and have (/had) no issue with releasing figures alongside Minimates.

I don't think DC/D cares who they lend their licensing rights out to. Point being, that's not going to affect us getting DC Minimates.

What will affect it is that we just aren't. If people haven't accepted this line's death by now...well...it's more than the time to start.

Would *you*, if it were your company, invest tons of money into developing and manufacturing a product if you had to pay a licensing fee to a company, only to risk having said company sell the right to make a very similar product to your competitor?

Licensing rights can be *very* convoluted. Even when Mattel first started making the 6-inch Batman/ Superman figures, they didn't get the rights to the whole DC universe until later. Companies have and still do throw fits when a competitor encroaches upon their territory. Take everything Star Wars related for example, they license everything out very, very sharply defined (toys by size, hence DST's 18-inch line), and Lego has the corner on the market for the 2" scale. And Marvel, for example has been not allowed to do minimates over 2 inches or vehicles for the longest time - something which sounds like it's changed if we're getting a goblin glider.

And for Kubricks, they are not allowed to market/sell them in the US. They are sold here as Imports. Again, look at Star Wars for example.

As for your point about DC/D not caring about who they lend their licensing rights out to, DST has expressed many times that they want the license but DC has been the problem party in this situation. So yeah, they seem to care.

And no, I don't think it will ever be time to "accept" the death of DC minimates, because DST still pursues the issue, and I support them wholeheartedly.

But basically, my whole point all along is that when I see the 2-inch DC block-style license is taken, I don't expect to see another company making them too. Mattel can't make 3 3/4 inch Star Wars figures, Hasbro can't make 6-inch DC figures, etc. DC Direct is a different beast being sold in specialty stores, NOT mass market. What little they get into TRU is highly regulated by licensing agreements.