UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 9

CortherX

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jan 12 2011, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, the one thing that has actually been bugging me about the brown costume Wolverine...aside from the mask's eyes...they didn't paint his pants/legs right. The Daken Dark Wolverine actually has it painted right, but the colors are off for switching the parts. No surprise though since they screwed up on that with 90s Jean Grey a while back though.

Anyone know anyone whom could paint details on minimates well and maybe fix the mask design?

This isn't exactly answering your question the way you're wanting, but this is what I did:

Wolverine_Daken.jpg

The new Brown Wolvie mask kinda bugs me a bit, too. Something about the overall design just seems sub-par to the wave 28/Daken version.

That being said, I know the black mask/brown mask thing doesn't completely balance, but I always preferred brown, so that worked for me.

Here's the breakdown on my rather simple quick custom: Daken body, TRU Wolverine hands & face

I scraped the tattoo off the one arm with an exacto knife - If you like the hairy arm look, you can switch out the entire arm and not just the hand - but personally, I think the hair details makes the overall look bit too cluttered (I realize I may be alone on that). On the plus side, if you keep the hairy arm look, then there's no need to actually change your Daken 'mate

Overall, the orange coloring may not match between the two releases, but the brown does.

I made a mashup of the Daken Wolverine with the original brown one when the Dark Avengers box set came out. I'm very happy with it, and like it better then what I've seen of the new one. If I get a chance, I'll snap a picture.

I like yours a lot, though, Donny.

Edited by hellpop

I also did a Daken/Wolvie hybrid, after being inspired by a pic I saw on Luke's site. Not completely satisfied with it, but it will have to do until DST gets it right. The more I see the new TRU one, the less interested I become.

Interestingly, the orange coloring on the original Wolvie and the new TRU Wolvie match, but not the brown.

So if you wanted to switch the legs out, then you could have some detailing on the original's legs (though, the detail style doesn't match between the two. And the decals for the boots show over the original boots, so you'd either have to scrape the paint off or use the TRU feet)

Though, I suppose all this mix-n-match work is pointless, since Wolverine is almost certain to get a new brown costume release at some point in the future. I just hope that, if/when they do, it will be of a quality that won't inspire so many of us to try alterations...

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jan 12 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Though, I suppose all this mix-n-match work is pointless, since Wolverine is almost certain to get a new brown costume release at some point in the future.

You would think. But then, I was anxiously waiting for a good update since I first got into Minimates, and they didn't actually give him a second shot until this moment. DST gets involved in tackling so many Wolvie variations that they neglect what is probably his most recognizable and iconic look. We've got 2 different "X-Force" Wolvies coming out for Christ sake. Too bad.

Hopefully DST will have another Wolvie-fest coming with the next Wolverine movie, if only so we'll have another shot at having a decent update of this costume.

They did the yellow and blue costume so right, that it really bums me the brown one is so horribly wrong.

Edited by karamazov80

I did the side by side " look the other day. IMO, not worth getting the second version if you already have one from either store. Ivan even remarks on the subtle differences in the notes on those mates. basically the eyes are slightly different and the belt/crotch piece is slightly different. for me, it doesnt warrant shelling out another $10.

Snagged all the exclusives at my local Ann Arbor store today. Hitting up 3 more TRU today, will post how many extras I have to help people out that are looking for them.

YOU BASTARD!.....I mean, that was nice of you. :) I still have yet to find them. maybe this week. :)

My Daken Wolverine's eye tampos are WAY too high up on the mask to look good on either Daken or Wolvy. If I had any skills I'd try maybe painting the mask...like black or something since most of the time in the comics it was black around the parts where the eyes were.

Also while Daken's legs are more accurate to the costume, the colors unfortnately are a bit off with the TRU Wolverine.

Some brown paints on the upper parts of the legs would fix it easy. Again, though I suck at painting... XP

Question...what are we supposed to do with the little fire blast thing in the Warlock pack? Who and what is that even for?

Do you mean Magik's teleport base?

Ah, I figured that's what that was for. I'm not all that familiar with the New Mutants. Makes sense. Feet have to be detached to work properly, correct?

I was looking at it upside down at first haha.

Question...what are we supposed to do with the little fire blast thing in the Warlock pack? Who and what is that even for?

Do you mean Magik's teleport base?

Ah, I figured that's what that was for. I'm not all that familiar with the New Mutants. Makes sense. Feet have to be detached to work properly, correct?

I was looking at it upside down at first haha.

lol yeah. it took me some finagling. I haven't taken her off the base for fear I may never get her back on.

QUOTE (Donny B @ Jan 12 2011, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They did the yellow and blue costume so right, that it really bums me the brown one is so horribly wrong.

Yeah - once they fix brown wolvie, maybe they can have a go at a proper Astonishing Wolverine & a real Weapon X (with VR Helmet).

It's not side by side, but you can go to the character listings on the minimatedatabase and scroll over the variations to see the differences.

i think it's just the one image of Lizard, isn't it?

Anybody have any side-by-side pics of the TRU Spider-Man/Wave 37 Spider-Man and TRU Lizard/Wave 37 Lizard? trying to decide if I need to trek out to the LCS to get the Wave 37 ones.

There are definitely.....absolutely definitely.....Easter Egg ,TRU,versions of many of the supposedly 'same' LCS Minimates .

Perhaps the differences aren't worth unwarranted expenditure but it keeps some of those sadf*cks out there interested.

-s*df*cksmate

Almost bought these on ebay today but just couldn't bring myself to spend the inflated bread.

that makes two of us i just could not bring myself to do it yet im just hoping as more come out the price will drop just a smidge more

Edited by eclipse

having found all of the exclusives to date on the shelf at cost I would encourage all of you to be patient and wait. Wave 8 (the FF wave) was the most heavily distributed wave so far, from what I've seen online and in stores I have to speculate that trend will continue for at least the next wave and this one.

Edited by BannersID

having found all of the exclusives to date on the shelf at cost I would encourage all of you to be patient and wait. Wave 8 (the FF wave) was the most heavily distributed wave so far, from what I've seen online and in stores I have to speculate that trend will continue for at least the next wave and this one.

I tried that... but if speculation goes wrong, I'm the one that's out of getting the figures I wanted.

Not that I don't agree with you. That's why I didn't pick them up on ebay today. But I still get kinda worried... especially since I don't have a TRU near me.

Almost bought these on ebay today but just couldn't bring myself to spend the inflated bread.

that makes two of us i just could not bring myself to do it yet im just hoping as more come out the price will drop just a smidge more

at least three of us

I'm tempted to buy the Shatterstar pack almost everyday

Once again i'll be checking my TRU this Friday hopefully Wave 9 will be there.