UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Okay, who has $1500?

From the first moment I saw "3-D Printers" on the Discovery Channel, I knew that it would revolutionize the world. It is only a matter of time before these get refined to the point where they can accurately create/replicate most of the things you would buy at the store (minus food, of course). You need a part for your car, or some forks, or a pair of tennis shoes, or a Sideshow Hulk PF (which has been on my mind recently)? Just tell your 3-D printer to give it to you. 50 years from now, people are gonna wonder how we lived without them.

If I had money to invest, it would be in the various companies that are working on this technology. Of course, I'm sure HP or another major printing company is in the process of buying up relevant patents and copyrights and filling the coffers of the right politicians so that they can delay implementation of the new technology and capitalize on it when they can't hold it back any longer.

I imagine a lot of businesses would want to block something like this from becoming available to the masses, especially given the potential future it would have. If the consumer is able to just print off whatever they need, then a lot of people who earn their living selling you those things would likely suffer for it.

That being said, they'd likely want the technology for themselves, if it meant producing things at a reduced production cost, not that it would guarantee a reduced retail price.

I actually had one of these & I was very pleased with it until the toner cartridge packed up after about a week & I had to buy another which cost me about $850 shipped. Now as you know I'm no fool so the first thing I copied was the toner cartridge but I then realised I had copied the empty one . I don't give in easily so I ordered two more cartridges & another 3D copier & copied my original copier complete with toner cartridge.

I've now sold my second copier but wish I hadn't because I'm now waiting for an engineer to fix the first one which has been jammed for about a week with a white tea-pot.

I imagine a lot of businesses would want to block something like this from becoming available to the masses, especially given the potential future it would have. If the consumer is able to just print off whatever they need, then a lot of people who earn their living selling you those things would likely suffer for it.

That being said, they'd likely want the technology for themselves, if it meant producing things at a reduced production cost, not that it would guarantee a reduced retail price.

I'd say that:

1) Cost to use this sort of printer is going to be way more expensive than mass producing "widgets", economy of scale and all that.

2) I don't think these would be something that can replicate everything. Material used is ABS which is great for some things and not so much for others, also because of the way that the item is "printed" there is no guarantee of structural strength, so I wouldn't be using it for anything that is "loadbearing".

3) In order to print anything you'd need to be a whizz at CAD and 3D modelling, I guess that given time the internet would be full of drawings for everyday items, but the real genius of this sort of thing is to produce unique 1 off or small run of items that would cost a fortune to produce by other means.

I've looked at the way these things have evolved for a while now and while it seems we are getting closer to a do it yourself replicator I don't think we're there yet. :)

Having said the above I'd love one of these for tinkering with :)

T.

Having seen one of these in action, I think we are quite a ways away from an affordable version than can print quality 3D models. They exist, but are extremely expensive at the moment. The cheaper versions create poor quality product.

Having seen one of these in action, I think we are quite a ways away from an affordable version than can print quality 3D models. They exist, but are extremely expensive at the moment. The cheaper versions create poor quality product.

Of course, we aren't there yet, but technology moves swiftly. Think about the computers or video games we are all using vs. what was available in the mid-1980s. This is the future, I say!

This wouldn't be a danger to commercial manufacturers any more than home inkjets are a threat to commercial printers. Great for hobbyists at first, then expanding to, freelance designers making prototypes, one-off kid's school projects, homemade presents...

Regarding quality, think 1980's dot matrix printers vs what we have now. I don't think it will take 30 years to close the gap. Maybe ten.

Regarding expertise, I'm sure Microsoft will be out soon enough with PrototypR or OfficeSculpt or somesuch nonsense. The design of publications and logos used to require a level of skill, too...

But, man, if I had some cash to blow, I would have so much fun with this.

Edited by Lobsterman

This wouldn't be a danger to commercial manufacturers any more than home inkjets are a threat to commercial printers.

Not any more because most printers,like me,had the sense to see what was coming & 'get out' 10 years ago . The fact that people had the ability to produce their own stationery decimated small traditional printers.

Personally I was glad :D

I've looked at a bunch of the consumer 3D printers (RepRap, MakerBot, etc.) but their output leaves a bit to be desired. I love to see the progress that community is making, but it seems the resolution isn't quite there yet.

The one item I've had printed (so far) came out great. I used Shapeways. They do more than plastic too, you can also get a glass material or stainless steel with several different finish options. Scan lines are still visible though not nearly as jarring. Turnaround time is a bitch though. It was hard to wait two-plus weeks for it to show up.

I haven't heard of PP3DP before, but the website doesn't inspire me with confidence.

<Reason for edit: Conjunction overload>

Edited by Ivan

The one item I've had printed (so far) came out great. I used Shapeways. They do more than plastic too, you can also get a glass material or stainless steel with several different finish options. Scan lines are still visible though not nearly as jarring. Turnaround time is a bitch though. It was hard to wait two-plus weeks for it to show up.

Were you able to sand down/finish the thing you had printed for a more satisfactory appearance? What was the cost?

Were you able to sand down/finish the thing you had printed for a more satisfactory appearance? What was the cost?

I actually like the scanlines on that piece. The parts I did have to file down came out nice except for where I took off too much material.

I'm trying to put together a project summary... I just have to stop the spider monkeys from uprooting my azaleas.

• 4 weeks later...