UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The 'Ghost Rider - Wave 15' Project

youbastards

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks. . .quite boring. But then, we all knew that :D Congrats on having another obscure one-off youbastard.

No, not quite. He was $60 + shipping from Hong Kong.

Thanks again to Karamazov80 for pointing out the auction an spending more of my money for me! :thumbsup:

:buttrock:

I only wish karma weren't at play here. . .

Unless that movie has a lot of interesting looking ghouls, I don't think it is gonna happen. But then, maybe DST is required to at least produce prototypes to gauge interest due to their license agreement with Marvel.

• 1 month later...

2 down, 5 to go! :wacko:

Wave 15 - Caretaker

Caretaker-Front0.jpg

Caretaker-Front1.jpg

Caretaker-Back.jpg

This Minimate appears to be closer to a final production sample than Blackheart was. As you can see in the picture, the typical info is stamped on the back of the legs, which the Blackheart sample did not have. The hairpiece is new (as far as I know, if it is a reuse please PM me) and it it actually kind of 'clicks' into place when you put it on the head leading me to beleive that may have been a feature that DST was looking into at one point?

Feel free to ask any questions. :thumbsup:

Edited by youbastards

LOL, I just realized that this is Roxanne's hairpiece!!!

This at least adds to the legitimacy of these being actual prototypes.

ghmmroxanne.jpg

Now to dig out the Sand Seref Minimate to steal her head...and to find a suitable hat/hair replacement for Caretaker...

Edited by youbastards

Any chance I could get shot of a dead on front view without the hair? It'd like to use the eyes and mustache for a decal.

Here you go:

SamElliot.jpg

Is the face a sticker of some kind?

Caretaker-Head.jpg

Not that I can tell, you definitely can't feel it when you rub your finger over it, but I didn't want to apply too much pressure. My guess is that the non-tampo'd parts are where the hat/hairpiece is suppossed to be aligned.

Also, on closer inspection, it appears that the factory painted the wrong part of the arms with the intended 'sleeve paint'. The wrists and hands are painted the same color as the shirt, and the forearms to shoulder are non-painted skin colored plastic. More QC issues, DST! :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Ok, so a little project I had been tossing around was to complete the test shot Caretaker with his missing hat/hair and shovel.

I couldn't find any existing Minimate pieces that I liked, so I took a Hasbro Indiana Jones fedora and sculpted some hair onto it, and gave him a shortened shovel that came with Sallah from the same series, not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out considering I will probably never be able to track down the pre-production part:

DST production image:

ghmmcaretaker.jpg

Caretaker-hat.jpg

Caretaker-hat2.jpg

Caretaker-hat3.jpg

Caretaker-hat4.jpg

(BTW, a trick for other sculpters, I sculpted the hair onto another minimate as I didn't want to risk damaging the test shot. Once it completely dried overnight, I stuck it in the freezer for a few hours, and with a little elbow grease, the Fixit Sculpt popped right off without breaking or leaving any residue on the minimate head!) :thumbsup:

Edited by youbastards

• 2 weeks later...

Another update!

Mephistopheles (Production Test Shot)

This figure is so much more impressive than the promotional picture was, there are quite a few gold paint highlights on the character. Movie Trivia: They actually airbrushed gold in Peter Fonda's make-up and hair for an added effect for the Mephistopheles character. The face tampo looks really nice and clean, and it is a very good likeness of Fonda.

Both the hairpiece and jacket are unique sculpts, and there are ring tampo's on each of the hands. Unfortunately, the cane that he carries in the movie (and was solicited to ship with the Minimate) was not included.

Mephisto01.jpg

Mephisto03.jpg

Mephisto04.jpg

I plan to get a group shot together soon, and will post it here when I do. :thumbsup:

Most of these minimates absolutely suck. Blackheart sucks, Roxanne sucks. Caretaker sucks. But the Ghost Rider himself and Mephistopheles are actually pretty damn good. This series would have BOMBED if it had happened though.