UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Robin Hood

minimadman

It is unfortunate. After Kevin Costner's masterful performance, anything would seem dull and less than good, IMO.

1991 ,I loved the movie & I initially loved this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoWtY_h4xo ......OK I still do ....but after 16 weeks at No.1 in the UK charts* I did begin to tire of it .

*which is still the longest any single has done so.

This new movie has been getting bad reviews ?

In complete honesty, Prince of Thieves was one of my very favorite movies as a kid. I would alternate putting the Ninja Turtles movie and that one on every night as I went to sleep. Kind of funny in this era of every U.S. actor playing a UKer at some point or another, that back in those days no one even bothered with a British accent when doing Robin Hood. The times have changed.

As for reviews of the new one, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 46%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/robin_hood_2010/

Meaning 46% of the reviewers linked on their site liked it. So, not great thus far.

......................... back in those days no one even bothered with a British accent when doing Robin Hood.

Maybe not in the US ! The star was Alan Rickman , he played the nasty archetypical & stereotypical 'English bastard' who strangely enough always spoke english with an English accent. The nice guy was American,the 'nasty' was English in an awful lot of movies during that era . There's been an awful lot of non-English ....Robin Hood was English (if he did in fact exist) ....Robin Hoods from Hollywood over the years including Douglas Fairbanks,Errol Flynn & heaven forbid Patrick Bergin....& now we get an Australian :D Streuth ! :rolleyes:

Everybody knows that this is how Robin would sound like.......

Edited by buttheadsmate

Time Bandits scared the living crap out of me as a child (so did the Meaning of Life, coincidentally). Terry Gilliam is one twisted mofo.

Edited by karamazov80

But twisted in all the right ways!

Now's as good a time as any to mention that I live in a neighborhood called Sherwood Forrest. Street names include Robin Hood, Maid Marion, Will Scarlett, Little John, and Friar Tuck.

In my opinion, the 1930s version with Errol Flynn remains the definitive version. I highly recommend it. I'm also partial to the Disney animated version. I watched it countless times as a kid. :P

It absolutely is the definitive version! Everything is pretty much right on the money except The Sheriff's characterization. The best Sheriff of Nottingham I've seen in a Robin movie is, without question, Alan "Call off Christmas" Rickman in Prince of Theives.

I saw this last night, as my group of friends still hasn't sorted out when we can all watch Iron Man 2.

The important thing, which isn't really mentioned in the trailers, is that this is effectively an origin movie, and he doesn't become what we know as Robin Hood (the outlaw, with his band of men, in Sherwood forest) until the end of the film.

As such, it's OK. It's no Gladiator, which it tries so hard to be. Russell Crowe's accent is atrocious, he sounds Irish throughout most of the movie. Ridley should really have picked that up.

The battle scenes are pretty good, especially the final battle, but the middle part is very slow. It's 2 and a bit hours long and could definitely have used some tightening up.

I'd say it's worth a rental.

Crowe is very much like Sam Worthington in that respect, you can't help but pick up an Aussie twang in almost every film they do. Normally I don't mind, and if he'd just kept his normal accent like he did for Gladiator, well, that would have worked. But to have the voice-coaching and it turn out like Irish, that's just poor.

I saw this last night, as my group of friends still hasn't sorted out when we can all watch Iron Man 2.

The important thing, which isn't really mentioned in the trailers, is that this is effectively an origin movie, and he doesn't become what we know as Robin Hood (the outlaw, with his band of men, in Sherwood forest) until the end of the film.

As such, it's OK. It's no Gladiator, which it tries so hard to be. Russell Crowe's accent is atrocious, he sounds Irish throughout most of the movie. Ridley should really have picked that up.

The battle scenes are pretty good, especially the final battle, but the middle part is very slow. It's 2 and a bit hours long and could definitely have used some tightening up.

I'd say it's worth a rental.

Seems your not the only one that picked up the Irish. Russell Crowe radio interview

From what I've been reading this films getting a beat down from critics. I just dont fancy it so will wait for it to hit Lovefim for a rental.

Bad English accents are rife in programmes such as Flashforward which is full of English actors with debatable US accents & astonishingly bad English accents! Jack Davenport's accent, for example , is stereotypically 'stiff upper BBC English' which died out about thirty years ago & is very very irritating. His love-interest in Flashforward is Sonya Walgar whose American accent is for you US guys to confirm but I reckon is dreadful ,almost as dreadful as her 'real' English accent when she plays Penny Widmore in 'Lost' ....again we have the 'affected' plumby English accent that only English actors use in US drama. Dominic Monaghan , 'Lost' & 'Flashforward', actually bucks the trend with his real Manchester accent ......I like him :ohmy:

Joseph Fiennes accent in FF is OK I guess although I confess I've never heard him speak in his native tongue . He comes from Salisbury which is a few miles from where I was born but I doubt if his accent is as strong as mine which is a 'Hampshire' accent which you won't find in many US TV shows . I've just been looking for an example of my accent & this is absolutely spot on .....be warned this is proper 'Ampshire' & perhaps too accurate ,lots of swearing...bad words . This is the 'Troggs' a 60' band whose most famous song is in the second youtube link.

This is absolutely priceless & has absolutely had me in stitches :lol:

This is just beautiful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EXRPxC-5bE

There was only one Presley....Reg Presley. ;)