UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Is everyone here completists?

magicmilner

I was interested in finding out if everyone of you who collect minimates are completists and try to get hold of every single mate imaginable or if you chosse to collect a certain area?

Me personally I collect all the Spider-man related mates plus alot of the other marvel characters that i like the look of, I also collect the ghostbuster mates

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be as politically correct as I can...

I am and have been in favor of being a completist except when I have not been or may not be at some point in the future.

If times are good (as they are at the moment) I try to get them all. There have been times past where I had to take a look at my collection and say "Do I need this toy (in one case a MID X3 Dark Phoenix pack) when I could sell it and get week's-worth of groceries? Not that times are often that bleak, but when it comes down to it, minimates are a luxury item. The first to go will be the duplicates of characters.

This question kind of follows a discussion started a couple weeks ago about when the price of a minimate would get people to scale back purchases.

yes and no for me. I dont care for too many of the older pieces but I am pre-ordering or hunting for all of the current releases.

I was a completist until a few years ago, the Marvel/LOTR/C3 era. Then the sheer volume of other licenses and extra product got too much to cope with, so I stopped, now I just get what I really like the look of.

With the Ghostbusters, yes. I'm a huge GB fan so I'm trying to get my hands on all of them, regardless of how many dupes I end up with.

As for the others, I only really buy what I like. I'm trying to curbe my spending so I need to justify having all the mates in a pack/boxset. It's proven to be a pain if a two pack is released with a character I really want (like most army builders) but I'm not interested in the other charatcer it comes with.

Edited by pawcanada

I own every minimate created except for the 3" lines and the crazy hard to find exclusives (gold & silver Spideys). Every mate in my collection has been opened. I only need to replace my Sentinel maximate statue which one of my cats managed to knock over and destroy. That task is proving to be somewhat challenging as they are next to impossible to find.

I started out as a non-completionist. I only collected the X-Men characters. Then the Spiderman Villains. . . then the Avengers. Now i buy almost all of the Marvel figures. I like to have one of every minimate released, but i don't buy variants of the same costume. EG: The DarkTide DVD Minimates had different facial expressions, but i didn't chase them down as i already ones which were pretty much the same.

I am almost an anti-completist. I only buy what I like, and then I modify the minimates like crazy to suit my tastes and my display, so they have probably lost all of their value.

I used to be very similar to Luke. I would only get figures I like, modify the crap out of them (though not customizing like Luke--more switching heads and other parts), and put all the others on the trade block. Nowadays, it's a little more complicated. I still try not to buy or keep anything I really dislike if I can help it, and so I'm really only focused on those figures I like. But, I am a Ghostbusters completist, will buy anything if I run across a good deal (including Wolvie: Origins), and am starting to pick up exclusives and duplicates out the wazoo despite there being no rational reason to do so.

I have strongly considered winnowing my collection down to "the bare essentials" on multiple occasions, but more than once have felt regret over getting rid of a hard to find figure that I later wanted, so I fight that urge. I have considered selling my Kubricks many, many times, but my periodic resurgence of interest in them would make that a bad move, long-term.

I was a serious completist, even buying prototype C3 pieces at one point. With four kids now, I am reserving my return to completistism for 2030. The bigger question is, will my collection survive three boys (and two dogs who chew up anything left on the floor by the boys)? At 10 months, 2 years, and 5 years, the boys have not yet learned how to play well with toys. My minimates are secretly packed away ...

I was for a while, had every star trek, marvel, sf2, lotr, bttf, dcd, dc c3...etc. I even had multiples for anyone that came with a hair piece and removable mask. My collection got so big, it was not fun anymore. I found myself dreading release dates instead of waiting for them with anticipation.

I had a huge sale on the majority of my minimates, and went from around 400 down to 90. Now I am back up around 120 or so...and I really enjoy my collection again. I strictly limit myself to DC and Marvel (and I do have a few terminators but check your cannon Superman fought Terminators so it fit... back me up here Miry)

So completest no...get what i like yes. Favorite Minimate? Invaders Cap and my custom Conan. Probably wont ever get rid of those two no matter what.

moc847

I'm going to hold my hand up and say I've fallen from completist grace too, Long gone are the days where we'd get 4 waves a yr and I could order a case of each and it still not be financial burden, these days I cant afford everything.

As the rate of releases increases more exclusives and box sets seem to slip through my fingers, it's all I can do these days to try and keep up with the regular waves of Marvel and pick up the box sets that tickle my fancy.

T.

I am a completist. I have every minimate produced in numbers greater than 500(i.e. I do not have Gold and Silver Spitter-man). I have many of the slight variants such as the SF2 TRU Variants and the single pack SF2. Until about a week ago I had 4 holes in my collection now it is down to 1 pain in the arse BB.

I am almost an anti-completist. I only buy what I like, and then I modify the minimates like crazy to suit my tastes and my display, so they have probably lost all of their value.

Yeah, that is pretty much me too. There are very few minimates I haven't modified one way or another.

As for being a completist, I am actually more of a minimalist. I try to have only one version of each character, to save space.

I am a completist for all versions and variations of:

Marvel minimates (I have everyone but 8)

Marvel movie minimates (I have everyone)

DC minimates (I have everyone)

C3 minimates (I have everyone but 2)

LOTR minimates (I have everyone)

Terminator minimates (I have everyone)

(and in October, Universal monster minimates)