UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spidey-Mate Max

karamazov80

Wow - i'm so glad this guy has gone to one of the board members. Congratulations on possibly one of the best hauls ever Buttheadsmate. And thanx for the pics Karamazov80 . . . Spidey looks awesome!

You were the winner?

It belongs to Buttheadsmate, but is temporarily in my custody. At his request, I will post more detailed thoughts on it soon.

Evil snow has swept the UK. BHM is totally snowed in. Send it to me K80 I"ll be sure to add it to my collection make sure it gets to him. :D

Wow, normally I'm not that hardcore or completist a Minimate collector, but that Maximate looks cooler up close than I thought! :woot:

BHM is one lucky son of a smurf indeed :D

Edited by NorthRaider

Evil snow has swept the UK. BHM is totally snowed in. Send it to me K80 I"ll be sure to add it to my collection make sure it gets to him. :D

Dang. Sorry to hear that. PM sent. Thanks for helping out, bud.

"We are merely custodians not owners" may not quite sum up why I asked Sam to kindly photograph & review Spidey-Mate Max......but it comes close. Like so many people here I have a beautiful collection of Minimates but I rarely get the chance to share them with other people who actually appreciate them. Until I bought this thing I hadn't realised how important it ,so obviously ,is so I decided after some deliberation to ask for Sam's help in reviewing it & to ask Danny to accept the review for 'Central'. I am grateful that they both agreed & whether or not others of these eventually appear we can all enjoy this one.

It looks just as good as I always thought it would. Its a real shame these never got released. I would love to have this on my shelf. And also a second one, with which I would remove the webbing details, and repaint him into Giant Man. :)

Oh my. . . . would this be do-able by sanding down a Sentinel head & repainting? Or have you given up on taking apart Sentinels? (Loved that display, by the way!).

It looks just as good as I always thought it would. Its a real shame these never got released. I would love to have this on my shelf. And also a second one, with which I would remove the webbing details, and repaint him into Giant Man. :)

Oh my. . . . would this be do-able by sanding down a Sentinel head & repainting? Or have you given up on taking apart Sentinels? (Loved that display, by the way!).

It might be possible, but it would be a pain in the butt. :)

"We are merely custodians not owners" may not quite sum up why I asked Sam to kindly photograph & review Spidey-Mate Max......but it comes close. Like so many people here I have a beautiful collection of Minimates but I rarely get the chance to share them with other people who actually appreciate them. Until I bought this thing I hadn't realised how important it ,so obviously ,is so I decided after some deliberation to ask for Sam's help in reviewing it & to ask Danny to accept the review for 'Central'. I am grateful that they both agreed & whether or not others of these eventually appear we can all enjoy this one.

You're a good man, BHM. Thank you for your willingness to share.

Didn’t we have a single custom ‘mate that some of us mailed all around the world to each other to take pictures with and then send it off to another location for fun? I faintly remember that. Well, I say we do that for Spider-Max! And I’m putting my name on the top of the list. Just don’t blame me if the person after me doesn’t get it due it being lost in the mail…:P

Didn’t we have a single custom ‘mate that some of us mailed all around the world to each other to take pictures with and then send it off to another location for fun? I faintly remember that. Well, I say we do that for Spider-Max! And I’m putting my name on the top of the list. Just don’t blame me if the person after me doesn’t get it due it being lost in the mail…:P

I think we talked about it but nothing ever happened with it.

Man, can you imagine how much shipping on that thing would be?

There are a gang of people that I'd be quite happy to do this with .....you'd be one Allen ;)

It might be possible, but it would be a pain in the butt. :)

If these had ever seen mass production, I'd have considered casting a mold of the statue, then making two extras of a more manageable material, then started cutting and shaving down the two extras to create an actual 8" Minimate. (you'd need two in order to make the movable pieces) Casting molds of all the parts would allow someone to produce a limited series of blank ones for creating the big characters of the various universes.

Of course, it would still be possible using Galactus or a Sentinel, but it would be a lot more shaving down and all the special "parts" would make it more difficult to create a blank figure. Add to that the cost of acquiring one of these statues and the somewhat fragile nature of the statues, and any sane person would hesitate to cast a mold of these. From there, you have to use a mold filling material that can be sculpted with some ease.

So, yeah, pain in the butt.

Definitely some of the most disappointing items I have ever bought in my short toy-collecting 'career' (?) are the kubrick 400% items which the Max stuff emulates. The 400%'s are hollow....hollow :ohmy: whilst our big boys are solid but not articulated.........

Who runs these toy companies ? Clever people perhaps but obviously not the cleverest!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't normally promote Minimates Central reviews separately, but karamazov80's review of the Spider-Man Minimates Max statue is up on MMC.

Many thanks to him for his great text and superb pics, and especially to BHM who allowed us to cover such an historic piece on the site.

Cool review, k80! Although a little voice in my head kept screaming "Nooo! Direct sunlight!" since I'm used to treating my plastic mates like vampires :P

The pose of the legs is a bit odd, kind of like he's doing the hokey pokey or something. However I don't think it's something I'd notice for long if I was lucky enough to have him on my shelf! In fact I did forget, until looking at him carefully just now, that the Sentinel has those "wide hips" for balance.

If you put a tipped top hat in Spidey's left hand and a cane in the right, it would look perfect though.

Max-style banks is a great idea too...

Thanks BC. After trying and failing to take pics in various ways, the best solution I have found is to take them outside. The flash on my camera sucks, and I just can't get enough natural light in the house.