UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

top 5 best and top 5 worst 09

SErge

!)HYDRA Agent (really hated it)

Even with the bulkier parts removed? Out of curiosity, what else could they have done to have made you happy with it?

the face really killed this fig for me yes hes better with the bulky tunic removed but he just doesnt grab memaybe earmarking him as one of the worst is a little harsh

What kills this fig for me is the color pallet. The green and yellow they used are putrid together.

The Northraider edit ;)

I always find these sort of things impossible because I love ALL Minimates but I have to say that Secret Invasion Phoenix would be in my top five ......but not in the 'best' list. I specifically don't hate the figure but I personally think it is a bland figure,poorly produced & portrays a version of Phoenix that barely was involved in the Secret Invasion storyline. I only found it worthy of mention because I am in the minority & see the character in members' No.1 'best' slots :ermm:

Angel must be in there somewhere as best almost perfect Minimate rendition of any Marvel character whilst Ghostbusters ,for me,stole the show overall this year & totally proved ,once & for all, that the Minimate line could,perhaps, be successful outside of Marvel .

Edited by buttheadsmate

Can you guys maybe be more clear whenever you declare something the worst Minimate?

If somebody says it's because of bad paint apps or lack of quality control then I wouldn't mind. (On that count Spider-Girl would be an obvious given, but I would declare Mephisto one of the worst this year also thanks to the almost-universal problems with his pelvis piece.).

But if you're going to complain because of how visually bland the Minimate is (i.e. BSG, Wolverine Movie, Ultimate SHIELD agents) or how horrible the character is or how it replaced some other character we "should've gotten" (i.e. "the Spirit minimates sucked because the movie sucked", "We should've gotten Wraith/Stryker/Emma Frost/some other guy instead of like fifty Movie Wolvies"), honestly this kind of criticism just plain freaking gets on my nerves.

Perhaps it's because I've come to love Minimates (in almost any shape or form) so much or because they're so hard to find here, but I find it easier to appreciate almost every Minimate out there if only for all the thought and creative execution it took on DST's part to make them a real product. For instance I've come to appreciate DC wave 8 all the more if only because it was the last wave to successfully escape Georg Brewer's killhammer. So now whenever I look at my Modern Question 'mate I don't think "God, I hate it so much, we should've gotten Vic Sage instead", instead I think "Wow, I can't believe DCD got away with making an alcoholic lesbian in Minimate form" :P

Anyway, sorry for the longish rant.

Well, my choices were either the most boring, uninteresting, or biggest wastes in my opinion. Paint apps didn't factor into it, or the Secret Invasion 'Mates probably would have been listed. I guess there is some lack of appreciation for all the work and thought that went into those figures when anyone chooses one that they don't like, but personally, if I can sing the praises of all the great Minimates that are made, I figure I am also entitled to criticize those that I don't like for whatever reason.

I think disliking figures due to quality control issues is fine if that is what matters to you, but is a bit restrictive as the singular criterion for determining the "worst" Minimates of the year that all people should be basing their choices on. Are you also suggesting we choose the best Minimates based upon those who had the fewest QC issues?

Edited by karamazov80

In hindsight I do realize now that my post seemed to have some ring of hypocrisy/ double-standard to it. My resentment of otherwise pointless battle-damaged variants is well-documented here, for example.

Are you also suggesting we choose the best Minimates based upon those who had the fewest QC issues?

Well thankfully I'm not advocating this. It would be like giving every kid who runs a race a trophy just for crossing the finish line. :confused:

Anyway I guess I was trying to say that in essence every Minimate is well-made in its own way, and I just find it unfair whenever people try to compare a BSG Minimate to a Marvel Minimate and create some sort of false dichotomy whenever they judge the two. As far as I'm concerned even civilian 'mates have their purpose, and as someone who actually watches Battlestar Galactica I didn't consider the mates a total waste. (I was just grateful that getting my own official Starbuck Minimate was an actual possibility in contrast to, say, an official Ninja Turtles or Doctor Who one *grumble grumble*)

Everybody has their own criterion for what makes a good Minimate. I guess some people just judge 'mates based on how cool-looking they are or how well they capture the essence of a character, while others judge based on how quirky or novel ideas they were at the time (case in point: Goth Girl, Chef Duff and Desperately Seeking Susan).

The tl:dr version of this post: I think I'd rather have a well-made Minimate of a boring character than a shoddy Minimate of an awesome character (with an exception or two).

Edited by NorthRaider

Fair enough, but I see that you note the tunic but not the head sheath, and only refer to one face. Did you take the sheath/mask off, as well?

I have to admit I havent been able to get the mask off even after a visit to the freezer this might be coloring my choice as well

Can you guys maybe be more clear whenever you declare something the worst Minimate?

Top 5 in no particular order.

Deadpool

Bullseye

Captain America (Bucky)

Translucent Slimer

Extremis Ironman

Worst 5

Spider-Girl (Back boobs?!?! Come on DST You're better than that)

Final Battle Deadpool (W:O I did not like this one because instead of making a new piece with the blade in it they cut off 2 of the 3 Wolverine claws and quite messily I might add.)

Formal Wear Sand Serif (Nearly all articulation is lost with the dress which is not a big deal my main problem with this figure is that the skin tone does not match the other Sand Serif figure.)

Marshmallow Covered Ghostbusters (These would not be on the list if texture would have been added to the marshmallow parts but painting it white just makes it look like crap.)

Matt Gargon as Venom as Spider-Man (This is a waste of a spot in a box set. The only real difference between this one and the back in black is Gargon head,and darkened lines where the muscles are. they Gargon head could have been included in the Thunderbolts set. That said I don't know who would have replaced him in the boxset. still a wasted figure though)

There you go

Best 5 in order:

1. Comic Deadpool

2. mark 2 war machine

3. Assault armor Punisher (seriously, how did they give him that many guns? :P)

4. GB1 Peter Venkman

5. General John Connor (If i only had to pick one T2 minimate)

Runner ups:

Norman Osborn

Comic Gambit

Black panter

BD starbuck/Hot Dog (something about them just seemed a bit better than the rest of the BSG line)

Worst 5 in order:

1.Battle Damaged Wolverine (it's just so bland)

2.Tory (again, it's so bland)

3.Final Battle Deadpool (it's not too bad of a figure, but it isn't nothing fun either)

4.Mac Gargan venom (too boring of a figure)

5.Half human Terminator (they tried too hard to make something new, but just failed)

It was hard making a top 5 worst, because i honestly think that almost every minimate this year had something lovable about it.

Naturally, my faves are a little X-Men heavy.

BEST:

5. 90's Storm

4. SI Phoenix

3. Mephisto

2. Deadpool

1. Gambit

My reasons for the best just come down to which minimates I'd hate to lose most.

WORST:

5. Penance

4. Ultimate Spider-Woman

3. Blob (movie version)

2. WWII Wolverine

1. The Beyonder

My reasons for worst have mostly to do with horrible character choices or lack of interest.

In no particular order:

Best

1. Secret Wars Dr. Doom

2. Classics Iron Man

3. Radioactive Man

4. Deadpool

5. FA Sabretooth

Worst

1. Jim Lee Sabretooth (PH Chest doesn't work for me on this one)

2. Beyonder (waste of a slot as he didn't appear in the mini series in this form. Do a SWII set, and he's top of the list, but if it's truely a SW set, then he's a glowing ball of Kirby dots at best)

3. Spider-Girl (back-boobs)

4. WWII Wolverine (spare-parts man waste of slot)

5. Barrakpool (just for existing)

• 3 weeks later...