UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Big Update

Jatta Pake

Almost two years ago my wife and I began the process to adopt children from the foster care system. Able to have biological children, we had talked long before marriage about our desire to eventually adopt. Since we often joke that we do everything backwards anyways, it seemed natural to us to have children before babies. (We lived together before we dated, we were married four years before our wedding, to name a couple things).

Two years of preparation led to a phone call yesterday. After three hours of deliberation, the adoption committee selected us from three familes to adopt a sibling set. We have pursued these children for the past four months, and now I am going to be a dad!

A few on this board know that this process was one of the reasons my participation at MMHQ and MMMV dwindled to almost nothing. I've kept it a secret but now its time to share with everone. There are four children total - ages 9 (girl), 5 (boy), 2 (boy), and 6 months (baby boy).

To all my friends across the Multiverse - thank you for keeping us in your thoughts! I am looking forward to sharing my minimate collection with my new little mini-maniacs, and updates with all of you! This is going to be the best Christmas of our lives.

Quick Edit: Strangely, the initials of my 2 year old are J P. Is this fate or what?

Edited by Jatta Pake

Congratulations!! I am happy to hear that all of your hard work and dedication has paid off. When do you get to meet them for the first time?

Our first meeting may likely be via Skype. They are out of state so we have a lot of transition details to work out. We've seen pictures, and we know everything about them through our conversations with the foster parents. JP has seen pictures of us as well and he is already excited about our dogs!

It will be a trip to finally hear my kids' voices for the first time!

Thanks Miry and Luke!

Wow! Four kids as your first foray into parenthood? You are a brave man! Two keep me busy. Best wishes, JP.

Four is a shock to our relatives too! They knew we were going to adopt one or two, but never imagined four. I like to think of it as Xtreme Parenting. :P 2010 is going to be absolutely crazy.

Congrats dude, thats something that unfortunately too many people do not do because they are uneasy about children that are not their own or just the trouble involved in the adoption process. I hope you and your new family get to be together before the year is out and good luck.

Two years of classes, books, home studies, and support groups and I can probably write a paper on transracial adoption from foster care. In a few more years I will probably be able to write a book.

It isn't for everyone for sure, and we have our share of heartbreaking stories. But days like yesterday make it all worth it! Thank you for the good wishes!

Wow congrats man!! I know you are going to enjoy this! I love all 5 of my kids and would love to have more like that

Jeff of the Miniacs

Yes, I will think of you Jeff when I'm going crazy! "Hey, I have ONLY four children, not like that crazy Canadian with five!" Don't you have three under 2 years old? We will have to share war stories...

Great news JP! I hope everything turns out as great as it sounds, but I have no doubt! (And since I'm here in the USA, my family and friends in Germany and my girlfriend in New Zealand and learned to love Skype a lot, so I think meeting you children there for the first time is just okay.)

Best,

Bob

Congratulations!

what an amazing Christmas you guys will have!

I can't wait to adopt (i'm a few years off being ready for kids, myself).

Well done on slogging through the process. I've heard ti can be quite arduous.

Congrats JP! That is very exciting and, I would wager, very anxiety-provoking news. Best of luck with all of that. Me and the Mrs. have also discussed adoption off and on in the past, and may still pursue that route someday, but I don't know if I would ultimately have the guts. There are so many children out there who through no fault of their own have little chance of experiencing a stable, love-filled childhood, and frankly, guys like you who actually adopt are true heroes in my book. Bravo, JP, though I am sure that all the memories and love that are to come are going to be more than reward enough.

My friend and mentor i trying to adopt kids with his wife, and everything was going through fine until the week before they were to sign papers when a judge awarded them to an out-of-state family that didn't even know they were in the running. I'm glad to hear everything is going okay with yours though! XD Best of luck. I'm all for big families. There needs to be more of us out there.

Wow, congratulations! Talk about a Christmas gift! I commend you JP, it is no easy task raising kids, but nothing is more rewarding. My two little girls are the best thing that ever happened to me, and you have lots of moments and memories ahead of you :) I wish you and your new family all the best.

BS

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the well wishes! I'm still riding the excitement high!

Hey Congrats Dan,

4 kids at once is going to be a hell of a ride but I wish you and mrs JP all the best!

T.

p.s. is this part of you longterm plan to have more people to play boardgames with? ;)

Absolutely. I told my wife that we are all going to Essen in a few years. She rolled her eyes.

Not only playing board games, but this is also my longterm plan to do other things my wife isn't so keen on: namely camping, riding insane roller coasters, and watching scifi/action movies.