UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Would they be able to do this?

MST3KFan

You know with all the buzz about the 90s X-Men wave 34 here and how a number of us would like to fill out the rest of that era of the X-Men, one has to wonder...could they actually do a hoverchair Professor X?

Obviously they could do a Jubilee, though I imagine at least one new hairpiece needed maybe for her hairstyle, let alone if they have her sunglasses over her eyes or above them. Banshee as well since we got Storm with new stuff on her. The cape being a big notice that could somehow be altered to be Banshee's cape.

But would the Professor's hoverchair be perhaps out of DST's allowed jurisdiction in what they can make in the Marvel stuff? We know they can't make the larger characters larger outside of the 'duck feet' and 'powerhouse chest' parts, but what about that hoverchair? They were able to make the wheelchair for Professor X earlier, but I'm sure they had ways of being allowed to do that.

The hoverchair is obviously much bigger.

Still it would be nice to get since it's 90s accurate and after Toy Biz decided not to give the hoverchair to Professor X in their Marvel Legends line (though I recall it was planned at one point), it would be nice to have a complete 90s X-Men team here and we're getting close.

Thought anyone?

I'm not sure what the current restrictions are on the Marvel License. The size restriction apparently remains in place. For forever they weren't allowed to make anything like a vehicle. So Goblins had to walk to work. Now Menace has a glider. Xavier got his chair because it's considered essential to the character, but the hover chair is a different animal isn't it? It's almost mini vehicle.

But even if the chair falls within the scope of what they're permitted to make, how do the make it? It simply will not fit into a standard Marvel minimate package as a whole piece. Even in a some-assembly-required form, it'd be a Prof. X with hover chair two pack. Or the chair as the fourth slot in a boxed set. I think those kinds of issues keep the chair away from the table as it were.

Ah yes, the infamous Silver Surfboard/Xavier wheelchair rigmarole.

It is true that the Marvel license did restrict "official" vehicles for Minimates for a while. Fortunately things far out of the realm of possibility for DST.

EDIT:

But even if the chair falls within the scope of what they're permitted to make, how do the make it? It simply will not fit into a standard Marvel minimate package as a whole piece. Even in a some-assembly-required form, it'd be a Prof. X with hover chair two pack. Or the chair as the fourth slot in a boxed set. I think those kinds of issues keep the chair away from the table as it were.

My guess is that DST may try the "super-deformed" look for the hoverchair, like they did with Speed Racer's Mach 5 and the BSG miniflyers.

As for the space-in-the-box issue, if DST ever did attempt a properly-scaled, non-chibified hoverchair then it wouldn't be that difficult to fit in a Minimate package. They can either make the box a wee bit deeper (like they did for the Slimer exclusive two-packs IIRC) or fit it in a plastic tray under the main Minimate tray of the package (if you saw how Wave 19 Archangel's humongous wings were packaged you'll know what I;m talking about). And you don't even need to stress over the hoverchair equaling one whole Minimate; the "24" line somehow managed to release a pack containing two Minimates and a separate non-C3 vehicle (the gurney).

Edited by NorthRaider

If not, the easy solution is to pick up the Kubrick, remove the Kubrick Prof from the hov-around, and glue the Minimate torso block on top of it, as we have seen done before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Medicom-Marvel-X-MEN-K...=item3c9eaf11f4

... and I actually think the size of the chair works a little better at the slightly smaller Minimate scale. That hoverchair always looked like a small car in the comics...

Actually I've cobbled together a couple of hover chairs out of Legos over the last few months. The only thing they're missing is the round under dome. Got no parts that can do that, so it's a black inverted pyramid thing.

I was thinking, for Banshee, the cape on the Secret Wars Captain Marvel would work well. Just paint it yellow and black stripes. Yeah, I know Banshee's was attached under the arms and to his sides, but so was Monica's, and no one seems to have a problem with the way she turned out in minimate form.

Does DST have a Q&A session that this could be asked maybe? See if it could be done now in some way. It just wouldn't be the 90s X-Men without hoverchair Professor X...and Bishop, Jubilee, Forge, and maybe a new Colossus and a Banshee.

Now Menace has a glider.

On the pics I saw, Menace didn't have a glider...she got Movie Harry's hoverboard...

If not, the easy solution is to pick up the Kubrick, remove the Kubrick Prof from the hov-around, and glue the Minimate torso block on top of it, as we have seen done before.

professor_x-001.jpg

I glued a Minimate crotch in place of the Kubrick's peg, so he can still turn at the waist.

On the pics I saw, Menace didn't have a glider...she got Movie Harry's hoverboard...

3950169861_70f8b9454a.jpg

I don't know, looks like a glider to me, with the little bat head and all. ;)

By way of comparison this is Harry's glider from SM3 (thanks to MMDB)

acc0062_lg.jpg

Edited by Mirymate

Oh i would most certainly want Prof X from the 90s ONLY if he had the hoverchair. It'd be pointless without it; it's key to that era of the character!! Hell, Hoverchair Xavier is in my Most Wanted, almost near the very tippity-top!! Here's how i'd do it:

Assemble the chair from two haves of plastic, and make it hollow to cut costs. In the seat, instead of a seat, there would be a torso peg. Prox X comes IN THE PACKAGE and on the concept art already on the chair. If need-be, depending on if they decide to use Kubrick's scale for it or not, the Minimate and the chair can be turned sideways, just like the Terror Dog from GB. Pack him with a characters that uses NO acessories or 1 or 2 hand-effects (like for Jubilee), and have Xavier come with a fully assembled lower half next to the figure.

Not to toot my own horn, but that's fairly smart, no?? Are you looking, Matt'n'Chuck?? ;)

And Menace's glider looked more like the Norman's movie wing.

But this looks more like an actual goblin glider than anything else we've seen.

Actually I've cobbled together a couple of hover chairs out of Legos over the last few months. The only thing they're missing is the round under dome. Got no parts that can do that, so it's a black inverted pyramid thing.

Pics?

Glider, schmider. The point is that one of the Goblin Family (well, two if you count Movie Harry) can fly now! All we need now is an easier way to procure gliders for Norman and whoever-that-guy-disguised-as-Hobgoblin-is-called, then we'll be golden. Then we move on to the hoverchair ;)

Glider, schmider. The point is that one of the Goblin Family (well, two if you count Movie Harry) can fly now! All we need now is an easier way to procure gliders for Norman and whoever-that-guy-disguised-as-Hobgoblin-is-called, then we'll be golden. Then we move on to the hoverchair ;)

Weeeellll... Luke's been getting all into molding and casting... just sayin'

(Rodrick Kingsly was the original Hobgoblin. He had several people he mind controlled to various degrees into subbing for him to throw off his enemies, including Ned Leeds. And Jason Macendale floundered in the identity for years, mostly ruining whatever reputation Kingsly had built up by being a complete failure.)

I suppose you're right.

Shame Marvel is so protective of their stuff, (and justifiably so) shame Hasbro for Marvel really hammers height restrictions. With Transformers, fan made add-ons and accessories are the norm. Even show up as convention exclusives at Hasbro sponsered events. But if it's Marvel related, someone would surely crush the effort.

Shame though.

Given he was able to do a "Training Room" Diarama that is similar to a Danger Room setup, he probably could make a generic glider that would work with MiniMates. He just couldn't call it a Goblin Glider...

But back to the topic...I'm sure they could do a hover chair with Professor X. The new Previews Exclusive Ghostbusters Glow in the Dark Slimer has a larger than normal 2 pack box with a explosion style base. The pics show the simplified stand that previous Slimers came with, but this release has a Ghost Trap base. It's oversized and uses extra plastic, so I'm sure it could be done.

Maybe when TRU does an exclusive wave that includes some of the 90's era/cartoon X-Men, it will have a TRU exclusive set that includes Professor X with his chair and Jubilee. That would finish up the cartoon lineup!

I think they just need to make two TRU 2 packs to go along with the wave 34.

Prof X (with hoverchair)/Jubilee

Forge/Banshee

Put the Prof X in the bigger package (ala GTID Slimer) and man those packs would sell so fast! I guess I will just have to mail another letter to Santa.