UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-man Friends and Foes

SouthFLGuy

Even with the sets that have been highlighted as having the odd quality issue, I can't ever recall a single minimate that didn't have a dark enough face tampo, or where the wrong kind of paint was used.

I really have to give DST/AA credit for the consistency in this regard. Our biggest gripes seem to be "a little too much green on the back of beast's face" and "the eye holes painted on the outside of hawkeye's mask don't quite line up". You have to admit how minor those issues really are!

And the other hundreds of minimates? Nary a complaint in sight. These are fantastic quality toys, considering how tiny and intricate they are, and how hard that must actually be to pull off.

When it comes to this set, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Something went wrong, yes, but something went so wrong that there's probably a very simple reason. Different factory, perhaps?

You can tell just by holding these that the plastic is different, to start with. It's very smooth and feels soft to the touch. Not soft as in bendy, soft like a soapstone feels both smooth and soft. The edges are very rounded. The molds aren't quite as clean, causing malleable pieces like the feet to bend a little more than usual, and the sprue remnants are more pronounced. The plastic itself reminds me a lot of the very first three waves of marvel minimates. Do you remember how those felt in your hands, and how smooth the waist would slide into the torso? These are very reminiscent of those early waves.

The paint has already been discussed, but I don't believe it's the usual group of Chinese artists at work here. The choice of semi-transparent paints is unusual, and neither the transparent flesh tone on Peter's torso and legs, or the thick almost orange flesh tone used on Peter's arms match the usual flesh paint master used on past releases. Compare these two shades with Ultimate Thor's gloved hands, for example. This is the usual flesh paint, and it covers up black(!) with a thin coat.

The face tampos are the easiest giveaway, though. The lightness of the tampo, and the glossy look mean that either the tampos didn't adhere to the soft shiny plastic in the usual way, or a different application process than normal was used, or likely: both. Since minimates are so mature now, through all the revisions over time, we'll have to wait for a definitive answer from DST about what they changed.

I know that all toy companies put disclaimers on their packaging that "final product may differ", because all toy companies have their share of difficulties with factories in China, but DST has always been great at delivering product that's right on model with the production samples used in the artwork.

We'll have a good, simple answer soon. I'd like to thank DST/AA for all the amazing releases that have gone right, in the meantime!

We'll all forgive this set when Iron Man sets start hitting. It was the last wave of Iron Man movie minimates that really kicked minimate quality into high gear!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flaws on BC and V don't distress me as much as the webs on Peter's exposed chin, (which is a really impressive screw-up) and the reports of having trouble with the tentacles fitting. I'm curious if both prove consistent across all sets.

And believe me, if the guys in the Chat Room would have seen that Spidey, we would have asked him about it.

Well, that's a good one for a first post, zauriel. Welcome to the 'verse!

In the end it's not like everybody's quitting because of these problems - at least not without the availability of a good twelve-step program. The possible answers you are giving sound pretty good and might indeed explain why this set turned out that way. On the other hand, it just did. And especially since our beloved 2-inchers are mature and we got most impressive ones in the last couple of waves and sets, this is a very unexpected letdown. And hopefully an exception.

I have rarely (if ever) complained about QC issues.. I never have cared much if some color was off a bit or something didn't quite stay on.. I came on here and got ideas and advice from the great members and I made the fixes.. but this is the worst quality box set I have ever purchased. I feel like I was just robbed.

I have never opened a box of minimates to see such crappy work. Blackcat is just silly.. the block was flesh colored!!.. why paint a non-matching paint color over that?!?!

Spiderman is quite possibly the worst minimate ever made. He makes my worst customs look good.. mine looks worse than the pictures shared so far.. the webbing lines are so defined across his face where the mask should have ended.. it looks like it went through an assembly line twice by mistake or some such craziness. I really don't mind Vultures wings because I just don't get ruffled by off colored feathers (bad pun intended) and my hands shook as I tried for 30 minutes to get even ONE tentacle to stay in place on Doc Oc.. I was mainly buying the set for Doc Oc and Vulture or I would have returned the whole thing and tried for a refund.

I PRAY that this is NOT the new standard of excellence for Marvel Minimates or I will sadly have to leave the collecting and call it good. I have a brilliant collection but I refuse to continue spending $8 or $18 for plastic garbage. I know this sounds petulant but I have been pretty easy going on all minor things over the past 6 or 7 years.. but this is way beyond a small issue.

Chad Anderson

SLC, UT

A.K.A. Vox

Well, that's just Prime. So much for hoping it was an isolated incident.

And Chuck thought the Angel issues were giving him a headache just thinking about them. Hope the 5 gallon antacid bottle is handy at headquarters today.

So what eactly is the issue witht the tentacles? Pegs to short? Holes wrong size? Poor overall design? Is it dab-o-superglue fixable?

I work for a tool company that imports tools from China. Business has been so good, that the factories we normally use couldn't keep up with production. We had to order some wrenched from a new factory, when we got the stuff they turned out to be garbage. I bet this is a similar situation. Too many minmates in too short of time.

So what exactly is the issue with the tentacles? Pegs too short? Holes wrong size? Poor overall design? Is it dab-o-superglue fixable?

Pegs aren't too short, in fact, it's their length that is the saving grace here. The more you can squeeze into the socket, the better chance it has of staying attached, provided you do not touch it.

Holes are tight, for sure, but again, you can force the tip of the tentacle peg past the opening. They just don't stay, due to:

Poor execution. I wouldn't blame the design, because this is how you want it to work. The socket just doesn't have a lip, and it recesses into a bevel, rather than an opening for the peg to nest in. This makes the socket slowly reject the peg back out the opening. See hasty diagram:

post-3341-1269545093_thumb.jpg

If you were to try to glue the pegs into the holes, you'll lose the articulation point there.

Then again, trying to make use of the articulation moves the peg inside the socket, which invariably causes the tentacle to fall off.

This is also the reason why nobody can attach more than three tentacles at a time. Trying to force the 4th tentacle in dislodges the others.

Kind of funny for that to be the problem. Did they not just correct a similar design on Angel's wings? Champions Angel's wings fall off pretty easily while the X-Factor/Classic Angel's wings have a lip-type thing to keep them on.

A mighty shame overall about this set. I never really cared about the Spidey, but still, that is disappointing even for a disappointment. I don't mind Vulture's wings. Hopefully some nice, enterprising customizer will work up a downloadable decal or some quick-fix for Black Cat.

No... the superglue trick is for loose joints, where you use a thin coat of superglue to build up the peg end and let that dry before putting it into the socket., not trying to glue it in place.

Based on the diagram you posted, I honestly have no clear idea how to atempt a fix... it'd be a heck of a careful dremel job, even assuming I have a bit small enough.

And clearly some skillful decal artist will be needed to fix Spidey and Cat.

'Cause at this point, I think we'll get a heartfelt appology from Chuck and company. The only other solution would be to repaint or retool some aspect of every figure in the set. And I'm pretty sure DST can't eat those kinds of costs. It's 'possible' Ock and the others might find their way into TRU the way the Heroes and Villains did, but if TRU carried the set itself, then carrying the pieces of the set later seems unlikely. Not trying to knock Chuck, but I don't see what exactly he can do here.

If there was EVER a set that deserved to go on clearance, this is it. I was SO looking forward to this set. I loved every character. I like battle damage, and Spidey, so he was good. ML Vulture is a favorite of mine, so I was excited about him. Black Cat... duh. Doc Ock was the only one I wasn't thrilled about because we already have him. Well guess what? The old one is still better. How about that! Still, I hate to see this entire set turned out as it has. :/ It just turns my stomach, knowing something I was so excited about turned out to be so bad.

These are a disappointment to us but imagine the disappointment to all the people who design ,promote & market this stuff :( However thick your skin might be you'd be gutted if these were the fruit of your labours. I'm new to toy-collecting so I'll ask the question "There must be some equally awful precedent in some other toy line? What happened? What happened next?"

I don't have this set yet and am waiting for my preorder. But is looks like BC has the same problem Lady Loki had, the color on th chest block is chalky compared to the head piece. It's hard to tell from the picture, but does she look like she has a tan?

Edited by pioad

These are a disappointment to us but imagine the disappointment to all the people who design ,promote & market this stuff :( However thick your skin might be you'd be gutted if these were the fruit of your labours. I'm new to toy-collecting so I'll ask the question "There must be some equally awful precedent in some other toy line? What happened? What happened next?"

I would expect that folks at DST headquarters are furious right now. They're working their ails off to get TRU and other stores to carry these, only to have sloppy QC at the factory undercut their efforts.

But any set with this many consistent problems... not I haven't heard of one like this. Toy Biz figures had a a tendency toward joint lock if the black wash was applied too heavy. But it was never every figure with a wash, or every instence of a figure in a wave.

I have no idea where they go from here.

I don't have this set yet and am waiting for my preorder. But is looks like BC has the same problem Lady Loki had, the color on th chest block is chalky compared to the head piece. It's hard to tell from the picture, but does she look like she has a tan?

I just compared the two. Lady Loki is a little off between face and chest, where the chest is a little more chalky. It's pretty acceptable. BC is a huge contrast in color, mainly because the minimate's face is a little tan, and the chest color is a light shade of gray. The two colors don't even remotely match.

I'm painting Vulture's wings as I type this. I'll post some pics with my repair work once complete.

I think we're getting a little alarmist about this. I'm not excusing the poor quality of this boxset, but I really don't think it's an earth-shattering thing for DST. It's not going to be the deathblow to Minimates, and I doubt they're even going to publicly acknowledge it, much less issue any sort of apology. It's just one of those crappy things, and life goes on.

Remember how the Angel chase debacle was a huge slap in the face and whatnot? Nary a word from DST. And we're all still buying. <_<

No, I don't think we're being alarmist. Crap is crap. This was just a terrible job all the way around QC wise. I don't see anyone saying these will ruin DST or Minimates as a whole. I don't see people stopping collecting over one set. People have said 'if this trend continues'... big difference. I think more than anything at the moment people are just thoroughly ticked, on both sides of the corporate ladder.