UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree the CGI is amazing and it is very easy to get totally immersed in this movie. The only faults for me are the storyline. I found the plot to be completely obvious from the start but was still drawn in and along.

I would give this a strong 8 maybe even a 9 out of 10 its just the story that knocked off a point or two. For me not the best movie I have seen all year or even the best sci-fi (District 9 for me is better then Avatar) but I do rank Avatar as a great movie and has lifted the bar on what can be done on screen. If you haven't seen it go as its well worth your money.

Saw it the other day in 3D, and it was pretty good. I think the 3D actually detracted from the film. I enjoyed the story, the CGI, the actors performances, etc . . and found the 3D very distracting. Partly because the goggles we were given had greasy lenses that were proving difficult to clean off - so the whole film looked 'smudgey' and partly because the googles mad the film seem less bright & vibrant.

I'll definitely go check it out again, but this time i'm gonna see the 2D version.

Partly because the goggles we were given had greasy lenses that were proving difficult to clean off - so the whole film looked 'smudgey' and partly because the googles mad the film seem less bright & vibrant.

That sucks. there are 2 kinds of 3d, Dolby 3D where they use the same pairs of glasses (which cost about $35 a pair) over and over again and Real 3D where the glasses are disposable. Luckily my theatre just switched from Dolby to Real.

Well I finally saw it. And yes, it was amazing.

But I will have to disagree about some things I've heard. No, it is not the best movie I've seen in a long time. Unless you define a long time as 3 months. If so, yes it was the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Second, it's not as good as District 9 or Star Trek. Oh more visually stunning, sure. But not nearly as good plotwise. I found that Avatar had places where there was serious drag. Very serious indeed. Mostly any part with Jake outside Avatar form and as a human. This may have been on purpose to make us annoyed with humans even more, but I honestly don't know.

And third, 3D is not needed to enjoy this film. Yes, it did enhance the experience. But is it needed to enjoy how stunningly amazing it is? No, not really. You will not be whipped in the face ala A Christmas Carol. You will not be shot by marines. You will not be speared or have a space hyena (yes. Space hyena. And yes, they are creepy) rip your throat out in marvelous 3D.

However those things aside... AVATAR IS AWESOME! The last movie I saw this year that was better than this was District 9. It was FAR better than New Moon and leaps and bounds over A Christmas Carol. Did Avatar exceed my expectations? A resounding no. But it did meet them. And that, my friends, is saying a LOT for a movie of this hype and caliber.

Was it the best sci-fi of the year? Nah. Will it change how movies are made forever? Possibly. Is it likely that in the nest two months (that is, until the release of Burton's Alice in Wonderland) that you will find a better movie to see in theaters? With the possible exception of Sherlock Holmes and Book of Eli, no. Not by a long shot. Avatar primed its release carefully, right as the winter season is closing. Right before the Good Movie Drought of January/February. I honestly beleve the next few months are going to be a contest between Avatar and Sherlock Holmes.

So yes, friends, you should see Avatar. 4.5/5

I did not care for it. It lagged a lot, was too long and the story was predictable. It was basically Dances with Wolves, but the Indians were replaced with big blue monkeys. The Colonel was a great character and some of the visuals were nice, but it wasn't enough for me.

Cameron's version of Fern Gully...

loved it, still not the best film of 09. but loved it, yeah its dances with wolves, yeah its and i use this term lighty "ferngully", actually it isnt ferngully, thats dumbing it down. it is what it is, it's a james cameron film. amazing jaw-dropping experience and for once my dad didnt fall asleep during a film, that right there makes it a great film in my book. see it in 3D!!

I saw it and loved it. I saw it in 2D and felt I shouldve splurged for 3D. It was a great movie but I think everyone is already familiar with the story. However I think Cameron used such a common story line so that he can go above and beyond in the sequel. This movie was more of an introduction to Pandora, and it's natives. And I'm willing to argue that Quartrich is one of the best villains of the decade.

And I'm willing to argue that Quartrich is one of the best villains of the decade.

Absolutely. He deserves to stand beside The Joker, Doc Ock (who was EASILY the best Spider-Man film villain. No Power Ranger suit and one hell of an acting job), the guy from Inglorious Basterds, (this is my personal opinion and a MAJOR spoiler)

Caramlengo Patrick McKenna

from Angels and Demons... list goes on man.

Hey, how about listing your favorite villains from each year of the 2000s? Kind of a decade end celebration of sheer evil. In fact, I think I'm gonna make a thread for that...

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am a late comer, but I have to say I loved it. I saw it today in Imax 3D and it was worth every penny. I agree it is a standard story, but I didn't watch it for the story. I watched for the visual eye orgasms. I was breathless with many of the visuals. Halfway through the film I actually turned to my wife and told her I wanted to see it again. I felt like a kid watching a magic show. I was totally amazed with the whole thing. This movie completely captured my imagination. I have spent hours already thinking of ways that would cause the evolutions of the flora and fauna. Mentally explaining all of the seemingly impossible sights. I rarely fall into a movie but this one...yeah I will stop. If you haven't seen it. Just watch the pretty pictures and allow yourself to fly on a Banshee.

Edited by vbpanizzi

Saw this today in 3d...

I liked it, not as a movie but as a spectacle. The story was very unoriginal (The tale is one we've been through in many other movies.) and frankly a little dull, but the world, effects and general atmosphere definitely made it worth seeing. The 3D was for the most part impressive but sometimes seemed to make things blurry (For me at least) esp during a couple of the action scenes or places where things were moving very quickly.

Definitely worth seeing IF you can see it on the big screen and in 3D, this is not a film to wait for it to come out on DVD.

T.

I saw it yesterday as IMAX 3D and it was amazing! Just like a lot of you already said, the story itself is very predictible - especially because Chekhov installed a few of his guns - and I wasn't really sold on it. I liked a few of the characters - especially her -, but all in all it wasn't more than nice in my eyes. But, as TBT said, I loved it as a visual spectacle! I had no problems with the whole 3D thing and was totally amazed by it. (I guess I haven't seen any movie that well executed in sense of 3D. On the other hand I don't remember my last 3D movie at all.) And the creatures' design, the flora and fauna, was really amazing! Guess I won't buy it on DVD, but really, really enjoyed the visuals.

I have spent hours already thinking of ways that would cause the evolutions of the flora and fauna. Mentally explaining all of the seemingly impossible sights.

Me, too! I can imagine a lot of those creatures and plants and although it looked very impressive and very extraordinary and excotic, I see no "evolutionary use" for the split/double forelegs. :geek:

I have spent hours already thinking of ways that would cause the evolutions of the flora and fauna. Mentally explaining all of the seemingly impossible sights.

Me, too! I can imagine a lot of those creatures and plants and although it looked very impressive and very extraordinary and excotic, I see no "evolutionary use" for the split/double forelegs. :geek:

That is one of the few I couldn't completely come up with a good reasoning or advantage of. The only reasoning I could think of was a defensive evolution to give them stability in a fight and/or a better ability to climb.

That is one of the few I couldn't completely come up with a good reasoning or advantage of. The only reasoning I could think of was a defensive evolution to give them stability in a fight and/or a better ability to climb.

Surely the answer is that "Because wheels wouldn't work" ;)

T.

I think I will be the sour puss here. I didn't really care for it. I saw it in 2D and all the images were really spectacular, but the story was kinda lame, often used, and very predictable. Change the blue guys into native Americans & the lead to Kevin Costner...boom, Dances with Wolves.

At the same time, that Colonel guy was a great charcter. My favorite for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

TITANIC'S RECORD IS DEAD!!!

That's right, according to Rotten Tomatoes, Avatar has beaten Titanic's record for highest grossing nonadjusted movie of all time. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/new...ecutive_weekend

I have to say this is a victory for geekdom. A sci-fi movie takes the place of a romance as #1 movie of all time.

As of right now, Avatar has 40 million to go to take the US box office high. Yeah. It's gonna make it.

James Cameron truly is king of the world. Again.

No denying the success of this film (surprising to me given how dumb the alien designs are, in my opinion), but the "non-adjusted" nature of the gross is an important factor. You have got to adjust for inflation if your numbers are going to mean anything, and as of now, Titanic is still way ahead of Avatar, and neither one comes close to Gone with the Wind or Star Wars:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I know. However nonadjusted is, oddly enough, the one everyone hears about.

It's kinda weird... But still. At least they can stop saying "Titanic is the top grossing movie of all time."

Did you read that article? While Avatar does have the highest international gross ever Titanic is still the top grossing movie of all time domestically and overall. Avatar is sitting at $552.8 Mil. and Titanic at $600.8 Mil so as of right now Titanic is still top grossing movie all time domestically and over all. Avatar will be taking the top spot overall by the end of this week and the domestic crown in 2 weeks, 3 at the most.