UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I know. However nonadjusted is, oddly enough, the one everyone hears about.

It's kinda weird... But still. At least they can stop saying "Titanic is the top grossing movie of all time."

Did you read that article? While Avatar does have the highest international gross ever Titanic is still the top grossing movie of all time domestically and overall. Avatar is sitting at $552.8 Mil. and Titanic at $600.8 Mil so as of right now Titanic is still top grossing movie all time domestically and over all. Avatar will be taking the top spot overall by the end of this week and the domestic crown in 2 weeks, 3 at the most.

Yeah I read it. I didn't SAY it had won completely. I should have been MUCH more specific... my bad. Sorry about that. Though I did mean for the full story to come out in that article. It will easily win overall though, probably in one week. I'm more optiimistic about its chances.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah well.

Shame this movie is doing so well. Us poor folks have wait that much longer to see this at the dollar theater. :rolleyes:

Why are we still gauging a movie's success according to how much money it's made? Like everybody said, with the "adjusted for inflation" business it all gets too messy. Isn't there a more reliable way, like counting how many tickets a movie's actually sold or something?

Oh, and the lines here are so long that I still haven't seen Avatar. No big loss to me honestly, if it's all about the eye candy then I guess I can do without it for a while.

Isn't there a more reliable way, like counting how many tickets a movie's actually sold or something?

That's actually what boxofficemojo does when possible, multiplying # of tickets sold by current average ticket price. Where that number is not available, they use more typical inflation adjustment calculations.

Even the highest number of tickets sold is a dubious number because in 1939 the average movie ticket cost $.23 and in 1977 it was $2.23 and quite frankly there was little else to do then. It was far before the days of Xbox, PS, Wii, not to mention the Internet with it's MMMV and piracy. There are a million more reasons not to go to the movies today as there were even in 1977. Plus the grosses for GWTW and Star Wars are kind of inflated because they have both been released multiple times while Avatar has amassed over half a billion dollars in a little over a month. I feel like Avatar's lawyer after all that.

I would make the argument that despite the gap in technology, people found ways to occupy themselves, even in the 70s. They just did things that were slightly more worthwhile, like physically interacting with people, going outside, etc. :lol:

The internet piracy thing is a valid concern, but consider also that there are more movie theaters than ever before, word of mouth and hype are more easily bandied about due to the internet and cable TV, the hollywood promotion machine is more powerful than ever before, and places like China, Russia, and various other parts of the non-Western world show U.S. based movies now. Taking all that into account, I figure it's gotta offset that other stuff to some extent.

I took the wife to see Avatar in 3d tonight and to my surprise she really liked it. Seeing it in 3D for the second time was awesome, just like the first. Avatar should be the number one movie all time by Thursday. I wonder how long the record will stand this time?