UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Should DST consider unlicensed minimates?

Hey Guys,

This is something that has been on my mind quiet a bit lately and wanted to start a new discussion on the subject.

So DST makes a lot of different licenses of minimates and those are moderately successful, they have just gotten TRU to start taking minimates which is a HUGE step forward in getting minimates the recognition they deserve however I think that DST's reluctance to consider toy "staple" figures or roles that are not part of a license might be holding em back?

I see that there could be a huge market at TRU and Target etc for packs with several figures with tons of accessories.

I'm going to throw a couple of ideas for expanding the line (for mostly well trodden & historically popular toys archetypes) and see what you guys think , feel free to add ideas or shoot these down.

Army men: Toy soldiers have always been popular, I cannot remember a time going into a toy store and they didn't have some type of army men. IMO if DST did minimate soldiers they would sell really well!

First responders: Police, firemen and medical people. These would work well with the existing lines as someone has to pick up the pieces after the super guys make a mess of NY yet again?

Zombies: Having figures that can be mixed and matched and have removable limbs etc is such a HUGE bonus for zombies. I want to see generic (non marvel)zombies, perhaps even give them names like Matt or Chuck and base the likenesses off the guys at DST as an in joke that fans will get but doesn't matter to people who just like zombies!

And then there is part ''b" of my thoughts...

DST should find a popular fantasy market like D&D or some MMO and make minimates from that. Once again the part swapping totally panders to the "I want it to look like my character" that people who play that sort of game want. I would even go a step further and say it should be sold with a simple gaming ruleset so that the minimates could be used as a miniatures game where the figures actually have the weapons or armor on the minimate that have differing stats. CMG's are pretty popular and I suspect there is a market out there for figures small enough to game with but with enough articulation to play and pose with. Perhaps to conform to the usualy CMG way of thinking it could be slightly collectable by having blind packed weapons or armor packs so people have that Collectability angle?

So yeah a bit of a getting it off my chest post but feel free to let me know what you think.

T.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a similar question to this in "ask dst" a few months back.

Steve Creger:

Have you guys ever considered making original, non licensed Minimates, like a cowboys/indians set or assorted soldiers or something? Also, what accessories will the New Captain America minimate come with? Thanks in advance :).

DSTChuck: Yes we have considered them, but to date the buyers have not shown much interest. The new Captain America will include his shield, gun, knife and alternate hair plus a shield-holding harness.

I asked a similar question to this in "ask dst" a few months back.

Steve Creger:

Have you guys ever considered making original, non licensed Minimates, like a cowboys/indians set or assorted soldiers or something? Also, what accessories will the New Captain America minimate come with? Thanks in advance :).

DSTChuck: Yes we have considered them, but to date the buyers have not shown much interest. The new Captain America will include his shield, gun, knife and alternate hair plus a shield-holding harness.

It's been asked many times, you're not the first or I doubt will be the last. I actually think that it wouldn't work at specialty but would work at somewhere like TRU and now they are back selling to TRU it's a valid idea again.

T.

I had a similar thought while playing with my CCC Duff Mate. It was 1 mate, but came with a ton of accs. I think something similar might work well. Use Playmobile as an example. They have a police officer, and he comes with a stop sign, a dog, a swat outfit, ect. Something similar might work for Minimates. Have a Paramedic that comes with a stretcher, a crash cart, a blood stained outfit, ect.

The problem is, how many people are really going to want accessory packs? I tend to throw all my energy blasts in a box and call it good. I don't have the room for dioramas.

I had a similar thought while playing with my CCC Duff Mate. It was 1 mate, but came with a ton of accs. I think something similar might work well. Use Playmobile as an example. They have a police officer, and he comes with a stop sign, a dog, a swat outfit, ect. Something similar might work for Minimates. Have a Paramedic that comes with a stretcher, a crash cart, a blood stained outfit, ect.

The problem is, how many people are really going to want accessory packs? I tend to throw all my energy blasts in a box and call it good. I don't have the room for dioramas.

Funny I was in the store and looking at playmobil the other day and I suspect it's one of the variables that sparked this topic in my head.

As a little kid I LOVED playmobil and had quiet a collection. A huge part of it's appeal was that they are small packs with a lot of accessories that are affordable and to this day one of my strongest childhood memories is of my parents coming back from a random shopping trip and giving me a cowboy/indian two pack that was jammed with accessories and I absolutely loved more than anything! (well except my little red pedal car but as they say that's a whole other story!)

T.

Believe me TBT, if DST tried anything with Minimates in the future like what you just suggested, I would be all over those sets like it was nobody's business.

I think the problem is that Minimates in general seem to fancy themselves as being part of a very specific market, namely the "limited-edition versions of an established character in comics/TV/movies/etc." one. Given that they don't have the same unlimited resources as bigger companies like Hasbro or Mattel, I don't blame them for wanting to play it safe and stick to a niche they can play their strengths to.

Of course these new things they're trying now like TRU and Amazon (not to mention bringing back the Free Comic Book Day mate) are probably a good sign that they really are making an effort to expand the Minimate brand, though they're probably still not at that stage where they can fully stretch their wings as a brand yet.

I guess it's just that age-old problem of Minimates having a bit of trouble carving a nice-sized presence in the mainstream toy market in general. We've all seen many excellent toy ideas ultimately fail or get shot down just because people either weren't ready for them or were just too attached to something bigger or more established in the business. Not to mention this weird stigma surrounding block-figure style toys in general (whether they're mates, Kubricks, Palz or Stikfas, they're all either too kiddie, too weird-looking or Lego rip-offs)...

If only there were more people out there willing to give the obscure a chance... :(

Edited by NorthRaider

It's an interesting thought, and like you said, one that has definitely crossed a few minds before. Without having the restrictions of an imposing license weighing down decisions and adding to overhead costs, it would hold a few possibilities. I imagine the big hurdle would be looking at market trends and seeing how similar ventures have fared.

Are there even any similar ventures? Stuff like Playmobil and Lego don't really mirror what would be done here, since those act as complements to larger building sets and themes.

I imagine it would be hard to find a foothold in the generic market too. A child may like army men, but from a parent's perspective, a bag of about 50 of those cheap plastic army men would likely run about the same price as a box set containing just a couple of Minimate army men and some accompanying pieces. And fighting an all out war with 50 soldiers will likely appeal a bit more than waging a small skirmish with only a couple troops.

That's not to say its a bad idea. In fact, it would be great. The civilian aspect would go a long way in helping fill out crowd scenes for our super hero battles, or creating a more epic conflict with our Platoon figures, or adding some more cowboys for Clint Eastwood or a time traveling Marty to interact with. And by having separate lines to help foot the bill for new tooling for more generic looking parts would help ease budget concerns when a new movie license or Marvel character needs a little extra attention to detail. It would just be a big hurdle to break into the generic market when other companies can and are doing it more cheaply.

Believe me TBT, if DST tried anything with Minimates in the future like what you just suggested, I would be all over those sets like it was nobody's business.

I think the problem is that Minimates in general seem to fancy themselves as being part of a very specific market, namely the "limited-edition versions of an established character in comics/TV/movies/etc." one. Given that they don't have the same unlimited resources as bigger companies like Hasbro or Mattel, I don't blame them for wanting to play it safe and stick to a niche they can play their strengths to.

Of course these new things they're trying now like TRU and Amazon (not to mention bringing back the Free Comic Book Day mate) are probably a good sign that they really are making an effort to expand the Minimate brand, though they're probably still not at that stage where they can fully stretch their wings as a brand yet.

I guess it's just that age-old problem of Minimates having a bit of trouble carving a nice-sized presence in the mainstream toy market in general. We've all seen many excellent toy ideas ultimately fail or get shot down just because people either weren't ready for them or were just too attached to something bigger or more established in the business. Not to mention this weird stigma surrounding block-figure style toys in general (whether they're mates, Kubricks, Palz or Stikfas, they're all either too kiddie, too weird-looking or Lego rip-offs)...

Xevoz... :(

The other problem is that when they become large enough to designate an entire section down the toy aisle, they are no linger Minimates. They're something else. They've reached the point where they weigh themselves uber carefully, and we at MMMV don't matter any more. They're global and have bigger fish to fry. So if we get out wish, they wouldn't be the backyard toy company we know and love. Matt wouldn't hang out with us. We wouldn't get cool prizes and reveals.

I think generic characters would sell & Medicom have tried it on many occasions with kubricks ,most noticeably the Special Forces Waves which I know TBT & Shanester own. How well they sell isn't known to me but they are stacked with accessories & are amongst my favourites. Medicom also produced customising 'sets' which as their name suggests :D allowed kubricks to be customised ....various hair-pieces,heads etc.

In my Minimate collection I treasure my FCBD2005 army which is always on alert & is rapidly recruiting the FCBD2009 boys to take on the Cylons.

I have...er..many Cylons.

.......... (well except my little red pedal car but as they say that's a whole other story!)

T.

......I guess that where you learned to pedal all this crap :biggrin:

I would like to hear the story.

I imagine it would be hard to find a foothold in the generic market too. A child may like army men, but from a parent's perspective, a bag of about 50 of those cheap plastic army men would likely run about the same price as a box set containing just a couple of Minimate army men and some accompanying pieces. And fighting an all out war with 50 soldiers will likely appeal a bit more than waging a small skirmish with only a couple troops.

I actually see it the other way around, parents are more likely to let the kids buy something that is not just a lumpo of plastic that is going to end up in the vacuum cleaner. I Think that if a kid can build a small squad he can customize, pose and roleplay with then it's a winner. When I was a kid and had stacks of toy soldiers it was always a case that 95% were background and a small group were the heroes who got all the attention.

The other problem is that when they become large enough to designate an entire section down the toy aisle, they are no linger Minimates. They're something else. They've reached the point where they weigh themselves uber carefully, and we at MMMV don't matter any more. They're global and have bigger fish to fry. So if we get out wish, they wouldn't be the backyard toy company we know and love. Matt wouldn't hang out with us. We wouldn't get cool prizes and reveals.

There is nothing I would love more than to see DST take on the world with minimates and win, even if it means they are too busy to hang out as much. I'd like to think that comnig from where they do that they wouldn't become quiet as clinical and nasty as some of the other big toy makers though.

T.

There is nothing I would love more than to see DST take on the world with minimates and win, even if it means they are too busy to hang out as much. I'd like to think that comnig from where they do that they wouldn't become quiet as clinical and nasty as some of the other big toy makers though.

T.

Unlike many(the majority)here I never collected toys.....they are toys...until I collected Minimates. I only back winners ;)

I actually see it the other way around, parents are more likely to let the kids buy something that is not just a lumpo of plastic that is going to end up in the vacuum cleaner. I Think that if a kid can build a small squad he can customize, pose and roleplay with then it's a winner. When I was a kid and had stacks of toy soldiers it was always a case that 95% were background and a small group were the heroes who got all the attention.

I guess it all depends on the parent though. My parents probably best fit drgn's description: they find it positively ludicrous that people would pay premium prices just for little pieces of plastic. It's actually a miracle I can still carry on collecting as many Minimates as I do right now while still living off them...

T.

Best case scenario for this is Lego. It's been said before, but this is the sort of success Minimates should probably hope to aspire to. Lego has been around for decades, yet they remain faithful to the play aesthetic that has driven the line from the very beginning. And where are now? One of the most successful lines in the world with plenty of fantastic licenses (Batman, Star Wars, etc.) but still experimenting with different ideas (Technic, Bionicle... does Duplo count? :P)

So, you are suggesting that these be pretty exclusively marketed to little kids and. . .us, right? Personally, I don't know that Minimates work well as a solely kid and hardcore Minimate fan-focused item, as those would be. For kids, they have too many small pieces that come off too easily, distinguishing them from Lego/Playmobile. Also, drgn says, those other licenses have large playsets that the figures complement, and I don't know how feasible it would be for DST to consider doing something similar (given the costs, potential risks, and the experience that AA had with C3).

The nice thing about "geek" licenses is that you will get much more attention from kids than generic stuff would, and the fact that they are well-known superheroes will outweigh the "small parts" issue to some extent. Plus, you get the massive horde of geek adults/adolescents collectors (who would have little to no interest in generic Minimates) showing interest, and neither demographic requires extra stuff like play sets to sell, since the figures are great "stand-alone" toys for these groups.

Of course, I would love to have stuff like this, and think that they would really stand out as being more distinctive and of a higher quality (in terms of design and attention to detail) than other popular, generic "kids' toys," but I don't know if that would be enough to move them.

However, a middle ground such as BHM suggests--generic army builders marketed to specialty outlets who would have interest in such, such as people who collect those little tanks and jets, or even to the role playing fans as TBT! writes about--could work. The Kubricks, it should be noted, are supposedly not targeting kids, since their little boxes always say "14 and over" or some such thing.

I actually just looked at my Toy Story Kubrick set, and it says on one side: "Adult Collectible. Not a toy. Recommended for ages 15 and up" (all in English, by the way); on the other side, it says, "Small parts. Not for children under 3 years."

I have a thought. What is they acquired a "cheap" license? Like Kirkman. They could do a Walking Dead 4 pack. They're zombies, but they can still fall under the comic title as a fall back. And (hypothetically for this discussion) the license is half as cheap as Marvel, and only slightly more expensive than nothing at all. Then they could do an "Invincible helper" pack, with Invincible and a fireman, cop and medic. Again, I don't know how well that would work out.

I think the simplest way to do this might be for the Marvel waves, with the variant to be packed with "Thug" "medic" or "cop"

I think the simplest way to do this might be for the Marvel waves, with the variant to be packed with "Thug" "medic" or "cop"

I like this idea and let's face it how many army builders are available in the Marvel universe. Although the T2 minimates will be giving us a LAPD cop and SWAT member. My only problem with say Walking Dead mates is the fact that they would likely be in black and white as the book is.

I have mentioned this before with a different idea, something not generic like Robin Hood, King Arthur, Mythology.

Imagine Greek Mythology minimates:

Theseus/Minotaur

Zeus/Heracles

Perseus/Medusa

VARIANT: Invisible Perseus/Medusa

Or Robin Hood:

Robin/Sheriff

Will Scarlet/Little John

Friar Tuck/Guy of Guisborne

VARIANT: Prisoner Robin/Sheriff.

And Arthur:

Arthur/Lancelot