UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Godfather Minimates?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My all time Minimate holy grail but it's still so non-PC & I just can't ever see it happening.

After

and Hannibal the Cannibal, I wouldn't rule anything out.

There's a reason there's no Kubrick-related merchandise out there: the Kubrick Estate is very protective and Warner Bros. won't license it without their permission.

I'm sure "A Clockwork Orange" would be a Hot Topic staple if the rights were available but they're not.

My all time Minimate holy grail but it's still so non-PC & I just can't ever see it happening.

After

and Hannibal the Cannibal, I wouldn't rule anything out.

There's a reason there's no Kubrick-related merchandise out there: the Kubrick Estate is very protective and Warner Bros. won't license it without their permission.

This isn't totally true. There are figures based on A Clockwork Orange.

Check em out

PS

Maybe this should have its own thread?

Totally unlicensed, however. The greatest 1/6 scale Kubrick figure was discussed elsewhere on these boards, and is the "Screaming" Jack Torrence. Obviously not licensed, but still one of my favorite 1/6 scale releases of the last year.

Edited by karamazov80

Totally unlicensed, however. The greatest 1/6 scale Kubrick figure was discussed elsewhere on these boards, and is the "Screaming" Jack Torrence. Obviously not licensed, but still one of my favorite 1/6 scale releases of the last year.

My bad. I just assumed that since they were being shown at places like SDCC they would be licensed.

PS

That Jack is sick!

Edited by Rheul

I'm sure "A Clockwork Orange" would be a Hot Topic staple if the rights were available but they're not.

Huh, that does kinda explain a lot.

Although... perhaps somebody can explain this?

Going by some of what I recall from my urban vinyl days, Frank Kozik seems to come up with a lot of Clockwork Orange-related merch for some reason. It's not exclusive to Qees and Toy2r; he also released a lot of Kidrobot stuff... Dunnies, Labbits, you name it. He even released this limited-edition bust of Beethoven kitted up like Alex from the movie (I think Malcolm McDowell even autographed one of those at one point.)

EDIT:

kozik.jpg

Edited by NorthRaider

I don't know, but would infer that the items in the above link are such a loose, "artistic" interpretation of the characters from Clockwork, that the manufacturer of. . .whatever those things are, didn't need to get anyone's permission.

Every example of "A Clockwork Orange"-related merch in this thread shows either a full-blown bootleg (high-quality ones, but still unlicensed) or something obviously inspired by "ACO" that has enough of a twist to avoid paying licensing.

Furthermore, they're all low-profile (especially the ones that are flat-out bootlegs) and not worth the effort for Warner Bros. and the Kubrick Estate but well-known companies like DST are legitimate and have to play nice with official licensees.

I have a figure of Anton Chigurh from "No Country for Old Men" but it's not approved by Cormac McCarthy, the Coens, Javier Bardem or Miramax, it was just done in a small run by a small company operating out of China or something. I think they made 75 of them worldwide so none of the "powers that be" are going to go after them because they're just a little drop in the bucket.

Actually, "needle in a haystack" is more appropriate. Is it really worth tracking down a few guys in China for selling $7500 worth of figures? No, but you could find out who runs a legitimate toy company in like 2 minutes and a lawyer could probably have papers served within hours.

Edited by GuruAskew

But Frank Kozik isn't low-profile: he's probably one of the best-known urban vinyl artists out there if only for how danged prolific the man is. And it's no secret among vinyl collectors how sometimes his work will follow the Clockwork Orange motif.

Then again, this is urban vinyl we're talking about. It's an "industry" that practically lives on aping pop culture and twisting ordinary stuff out of the ordinary. If guys like Ron English can get away with producing satirical art of Ronald McDonald and Mickey Mouse, then maybe the Kozik-CO pieces are something of a moot point.

But Frank Kozik isn't low-profile: he's probably one of the best-known urban vinyl artists out there if only for how danged prolific the man is. And it's no secret among vinyl collectors how sometimes his work will follow the Clockwork Orange motif.

Then again, this is urban vinyl we're talking about. It's an "industry" that practically lives on aping pop culture and twisting ordinary stuff out of the ordinary. If guys like Ron English can get away with producing satirical art of Ronald McDonald and Mickey Mouse, then maybe the Kozik-CO pieces are something of a moot point.

But he's not flat-out doing "A Clockwork Orange". He is doing original creations with an obvious "Clockwork Orange" twist, but enough where he can play the homage and/or parody card. If he just put out "Clockwork Orange" stuff with no twist or spin they'd be on him right away.

The companies that just come right-out and make an Alex figure or bust, however, are illegal every step of the way. They don't have any law or right to hide behind.

And it's no secret among vinyl collectors how sometimes his work will follow the Clockwork Orange motif.

Complete guesswork, but is there actually anything illegal about a Kozik dunny inspired by Clockwork Orange? It's not Alex after all, it's an orange rabbit dressed up like him. Occasionally people here have talked about DST's rights to likenesses and how they can be considered "parody" to avoid obtaining rights... Maybe Kozik's various takes on the movie are legal as long as they can't reasonably be mistaken for official merch?

Edit: um, what he said ^

Edited by battlecat

I feel weird talking about Godfather Minimates in this thread, but wanted to point out that DSTs new shipping dates have Godfather as TBD. I'm hoping this doesn't mean they're having to wait for retail support.

Sadly, going from an August release to a "we don't know when" release is generally a good indication that there's a problem with the set selling.

To be fair, though a fan of the movie, there is just SO MUCH other product available and coming soon that it's easy for this set to get lost in the crowd. Sure, I'd like to get it, but if I don't, oh well. I felt the same about Desperately Seeking Susan mates. I missed them entirely, but don't feel like my collection is really lacking.

Now that is one set I am VERY sorry we're not getting. This line should have continued through movie #4.

I bet that set would have sold far better than the Rocky 2 set, and probably better than the Rocky 1 set. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan? C'mon, DST, give it a chance! You have released figures with far less potential for sales *cough* TRU BSG 'Mates *cough* , so I know you have it in you.

Edited by karamazov80

I think the TRU waves are a totally different situation.

TRU places an order for an entire run of Minimates. DST produces them, gets their money, and it's out of their hands whether they sell or not. With something like the Rocky or Godfather mates, DST pays for them upfront, sells them case by case, and are on the hook for whatever doesn't sell.

At least that's the way I understand it to work.

I'd be disappointed, but not all that surprised to see the Godfather mates shelved. They're another set that's more "huh, it would be kind of neat to see a novelty product of (insert random movie)" than "wow, these are cool and fun to play with!" I think that "play factor" is why Ghostbusters is doing so well.