UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Awards Season Discussion

Trekker 42

The Golden Globes has come to a close and The Oscars are coming close to opening. Nominations are being announced in just over two weeks and I believe this is as good a time as any to talk awards.

So let's get started

First off, The Globes. I did not see a single movie up for Best Drama or for Best Comedy (though Burn after Reading looked good as did Benjamin Button) Heath Ledger's victory was well deserved. I honestly think Gran Torino should have been up for Best Drama and then won as that was a great movie (and we all know these guys are too stuck up to put up a comic book movie like the REAL best Picture: The Dark Knight)

The Oscars on the other hand, I'm prepared to be pissed at, as usual. I don't like the Oscars as most of the time, they never nominate anything I see and I see quite a lot. The last Best Picture winner I saw in theaters (and may have been last nominee I saw in theaters) was Return of the Kng. I hope something like Gran Torino or (unlikely though it may be) The Dark Knight at least gets nominated. Those were two of my favorites of the year and I'd rank Gran Torino just under Iron Man and make it my third favorite movie of the year.

As for Best Actor, I'd give that to Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man and I've heard he was great in Tropic Thunder.

Actress, well, I don't know. Probably I'd give it to Karen Allen from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull simply because she was a lot of fun in that film.

Best Supporting Actor is Heath Ledger HANDS DOWN.

Best Supporting Actress I would give to Cate Blanchett from Crystal Skull simply because supporting actresses I can't think of right now.

Director goes to Christopher Nolan, no question.

Adapted Screenplay: The Dark Knight.

Best Original Screenplay: Gran Torino (I believe it's original)

Best Animated: Wall-E

As for the rest, I have no idea. Except score goes to The Dark Knight or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously the chances of Iron Man or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hitting it bid in the Oscars (barring the FX categories or something) are doubtful. But at the very least I'd like to see at ;east RDJ get his due for his awesomely spot-on Tony Stark.

Who else is in the running for "Best Animated" besides Wall-E? For some reason that's a category I always watch for.

Strangely enough ....for a change ....I'm not looking for a laugh but the fact is if you're dying or ...even better... dead ,you'll probably get that Oscar you deserved.....maybe 3 years ago (Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain) or maybe umpteen years previously (John Wayne.....many movies way better than True Grit). I genuinely do not mean to be offensive just honest.

Obviously the chances of Iron Man or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull hitting it bid in the Oscars (barring the FX categories or something) are doubtful. But at the very least I'd like to see at ;east RDJ get his due for his awesomely spot-on Tony Stark.

Who else is in the running for "Best Animated" besides Wall-E? For some reason that's a category I always watch for.

Kung-Fu Panda and Bolt were the Golden Globes nominees, so they're probably the Oscar ones as Golden Globes couldn't fill the full 4 nominations. Make sense?

Kung-Fu Panda and Bolt were the Golden Globes nominees, so they're probably the Oscar ones as Golden Globes couldn't fill the full 4 nominations. Make sense?

Uh-huh... I only ask because I'm wondering if there's gonna be a dark horse foreign entry for the Animated category this year, like The Triplets of Belleville, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle or Persepolis from years before. I always found the foreign entries a wonderful change of pace for this typically US-dominated category, especially if they really are that good enough to actually win (My brother is a Hayao Miyazaki fan, and we just watched Persepolis last night and it was spectacular).

Don't get me wrong, US-made animated features are no slouch either (I only wish the Best Animated Category already existed when films like Beauty and the Beast and Waking Life first came out... they would've been Oscar shoo-ins in my book). But surely though, after seeing so much kiddie fodder (crimefighting pandas, crimefighting dogs, penguins, fish, princesses) saturate the animated-film market it would be nice to see what sort of monkey wrench-entry something from France or Japan could possibly add to the mix.

Best Actor, I'd give that to Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man and I've heard he was great in Tropic Thunder.

Actress, well, I don't know. Probably I'd give it to Karen Allen from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull simply because she was a lot of fun in that film.

Best Supporting Actress I would give to Cate Blanchett from Crystal Skull simply because supporting actresses I can't think of right now.

As for the rest, I have no idea. Except score goes to The Dark Knight or Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Did you only see those four movies this year? ;)

Here are my picks.

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler. He was heartbreakingly good in that movie and turned in an honest and very real performance and is deserving of all of the praise that is being heaped on him.

Best Actress: Kate Winslet for Revolution Road. She is always great and I think this is the year that she is rewarded for her awesomeness. If she doesn't win the actress category then she will certainly win supporting for The Reader.

Supporting Actor will probably go to Heath Ledger for Dark Knight. It's not that I don't think he was amazing in Dark Knight but I have to wonder if he had not died would there be all of this hype?

Best Original Screenplay will probably go to Frost/Nixon.

Best Adapted Screenplay has to go Slumdog Millionaire. Regardless of whether or not it wins best picture it is the best movie of the year.

Best Director is Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire. If you have not seen this movie make plans to correct that huge oversight immediately.

Best Animated is Wall E. If the Oscar for Best Animated Feature was a championship like in wrestling and Wall E had to defend it every year it would remain undefeated forever. That movie has a soul which is rare for any movie these days let alone an animated one about a robot love story. Wall E should also be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Picture is Slumdog Millionaire. Period.

.....I only wish the Best Animated Category already existed when films like Beauty and the Beast and Waking Life first came out... they would've been Oscar shoo-ins in my book.

Waking Life came out in 2001 and here are the nominees for Best Animated Feature for that year.

2001 (74th) ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius -- Steve Oedekerk, John A. Davis

Monsters, Inc. -- Pete Docter, John Lasseter

Shrek -- Aron Warner

Shrek won.

Supporting Actor will probably go to Heath Ledger for Dark Knight. It's not that I don't think he was amazing in Dark Knight but I have to wonder if he had not died would there be all of this hype?

Personally I'm not even feeling that optimistic the Academy really will cave in to all that fan pressure to give Ledger that Oscar for Dark Knight, although I think the fact that Ledger had in fact been nominated in that category before (Brokeback Mountain, in a role many felt he SHOULD have won the Oscar for... no offense to George Clooney) will probably be an even more significant factor for his nomination than Ledger's death. On this regard I keep thinking about a blogger's comment about the Oscars from two years ago, and Martin Scorcese's "pity Oscar" for The Departed (they call it a "pity Oscar" because some will argue that his previously-nominated films like Raging Bull and Taxi Driver were even better, and should have won then).

Back on topic, who else would be Ledger's main competition for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar? The only other person I can think of at the top of my head is Kevin Bacon for Frost/Nixon, and some people were actually raving about that portrayal. Dunno what his chances would be against Ledger, though.

.....I only wish the Best Animated Category already existed when films like Beauty and the Beast and Waking Life first came out... they would've been Oscar shoo-ins in my book.

Waking Life came out in 2001 and here are the nominees for Best Animated Feature for that year.

Shrek -- Aron Warner

Shrek won.

Must've been one of those pesky eligibility requirements, then. This is only my personal opinion but I cannot imagine how something like Waking Life COULDN'T have gotten nominated (let alone won) for some sort of Oscar, especially when it's got films like Jimmy Neutron for competition.

Shrek winning though I can understand: aside from the 3D tech (which is otherwise mainly Pixar's shining jewel), it subverted the tropes of typical fairy tale stories in a positive way.

Best Actor, I'd give that to Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man and I've heard he was great in Tropic Thunder.

Did you only see those four movies this year? ;)

Here are my picks.

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler. He was heartbreakingly good in that movie and turned in an honest and very real performance and is deserving of all of the praise that is being heaped on him.

Best Actress: Kate Winslet for Revolution Road. She is always great and I think this is the year that she is rewarded for her awesomeness. If she doesn't win the actress category then she will certainly win supporting for The Reader.

Best Original Screenplay will probably go to Frost/Nixon.

Best Adapted Screenplay has to go Slumdog Millionaire. Regardless of whether or not it wins best picture it is the best movie of the year.

Best Director is Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire. If you have not seen this movie make plans to correct that huge oversight immediately.

Best Animated is Wall E. If the Oscar for Best Animated Feature was a championship like in wrestling and Wall E had to defend it every year it would remain undefeated forever. That movie has a soul which is rare for any movie these days let alone an animated one about a robot love story. Wall E should also be nominated for Best Picture.

Best Picture is Slumdog Millionaire. Period.

Shrek -- Aron Warner

Shrek won.

I saw more than those four. Those four just stood out as the best of the year. I also saw The Incredible Hulk (Which I would give Visual Effects to if Iron Man didn' snatch it up first.), The Day the Earth Stood Still, Cloverfield (another runner in VFX), The X-Files I Want to Believe (which might go in for a razzie or two, you know, the worst movies award) The Mummy 3 (which will almost DEFINATELY win a Razzie), Jumper, Narnia, Speed Racer, Get Smart, Hancock, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Bolt, Bedtime Stoies, and Quantum of Solace.

What is Slumdog Millionaire?

What is Slumdog Millionaire?

From Danny Boyle (who also directed 28 Days Later, Millions, Sunshine, Trainspotting, and The Beach) It is the story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Each chapter of Jamal's increasingly layered story reveals where he learned the answers to the show's seemingly impossible quizzes. But one question remains a mystery: what is this young man with no apparent desire for riches really doing on the game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out. At the heart of its storytelling lies the question of how anyone comes to know the things they know about life and love.

Personally I'm not even feeling that optimistic the Academy really will cave in to all that fan pressure to give Ledger that Oscar for Dark Knight, will probably be an even more significant factor for his nomination than Ledger's death.

The thing about the academy though is that the Hollywood professionals vote on it and everyone in that town will be sympathetic and vote for Ledger. So everything boils down to a popularity contest. This summer many were saying he had an outside shot at best but honestly I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that the "hip" thing to do will be to vote for him.

although I think the fact that Ledger had in fact been nominated in that category before (Brokeback Mountain, in a role many felt he SHOULD have won the Oscar for... no offense to George Clooney)
Clooney won as Oscar that year but it was in the supporting category and Ledger was nominated in the Best Actor category which went to Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Capote.

Back on topic, who else would be Ledger's main competition for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar? The only other person I can think of at the top of my head is Kevin Bacon for Frost/Nixon, and some people were actually raving about that portrayal. Dunno what his chances would be against Ledger, though.

Hoffman again may play a fly in the ointment for his role in Doubt, as could James Franco in Milk, Josh Brolin in Milk. Like I said before it's a popularity contest, and though I have no intention of taking anything away from his brilliant performance in Dark Knight, Ledger is the popular choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... this is an awards conversation. ANd this is an awards show of some sort. I guess I can post these Nominees.

Presenting The Nominees for the Golden Raspberry Awards.

In case you don't know, the Golden Raspberry Awards, or the Razzies, recognize the year's worst movies.

Tomorrow I'll put up the Oscar nominations.

I really didn't want to like slumdog but was totally blown away by it. A film I would have ignored but the hype caught my interest and I'm glad it did.

Ok onto the razzies

I hope Love Guru sweeps the board I watched it on DVD and wish I could have got my money back. Also The Happening for me was a total non event. I'm surprised X-files 2 didn't make the list.

I'm surprised X-files 2 didn't make the list.

So am I. Perhaps in "Worst Sequel, Remake, or Rip-Off." Indiana Jones didn't deserve that as X-Files was SO much worse. Hell, I liked The Day the Earth Stood Still more than X-Files 2.

Of all the Razzie nominees the only one I actually watched in full was (EEP!! :blink:) The Hottie and the Nottie. Makes me wish I'd have watched at least Speed Racer or any of the other noms first, felt like I'd just (involuntarily!) pissed away hours of life with this one.

Come on Oscars...

Of all the Razzie nominees the only one I actually watched in full was (EEP!! :blink:) The Hottie and the Nottie. Makes me wish I'd have watched at least Speed Racer or any of the other noms first, felt like I'd just (involuntarily!) pissed away hours of life with this one.

Come on Oscars...

I actually liked Speed Racer. Not the best movie of the year, but it was still pretty fun to watch. Not great, just fun.

I actually liked Speed Racer. Not the best movie of the year, but it was still pretty fun to watch. Not great, just fun.

I wanted to watch Speed Racer for two reasons mainly: the Wachowski Brothers' wild & psychedelic-looking vision for the film, and my long-ago, ancient fangirl fascination with Emile Hirsch (That's why I can't wait to watch Milk for Oscar season :P)

Perhaps the only cringe-worthy moment for me was whenever he and Trixie (Christina Ricci) would go "Hubba-hubba" in the trailers... for some reason watching that was both funny and hamtastic :blink:

Oscar nominees are in!

So The Joker is now officially in the running for Best Supporting Actor. Robert Downey Jr. getting nominated for Tropic Thunder was definitely a surprise. And it's also interesting how this was the second year Penelope Cruz has gotten nominated for an Oscar. Otherwise I'm really not surprised at the selection this year.

Two guesses who will win Best Animated Movie this year. :lol:

Kung Fu Panda was pretty dang good, but there can be little doubt that Wall E was one of the best movies of the year period, cartoon or no. I just hope that either Rourke or Jenkins wins best actor. Somehow I see Pitt winning, unfortunately.

This is the first year I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees. Looks like I have some movies to rent (for those that are on dvd now).

I agree about Wall-E for best animated film. I was also happy to see it got nominated for best original screenplay. It was definitely original.

• 1 month later...

The time is ripe to bring this topic back as today is The Oscars and the Golden Raspberries are also in

So first off: The Razzies

So to discuss this, I'm PISSED that Indana Jones "won" for worst sequel. Close Wars had that in the BAG!! But I'm biased as I really liked Indiana Jones. It wasn't as good as Raiders but it was a good damn movie and honestly who expected it to be as good as Raiders? Clone Wars, on the other hand, was final irrefutable proof that George Lucas is raping his great creation up the ass and laughing. Though the show is actually OK, the movie should have been an episode of the TV show. It would have been an outstanding three parter but instead it was a shitty movie.

From what I've heard of it, I'm not surprised that The Love Guru kicked its own ass here. The Hottie and the Nottie is up there too. Though I know NOTHING abut it.

Second, The Oscars.

I'm bored and my TV is next to the computer. And as I started this topic, I think that I might as well just do a live posting of the winners as they come about.

I hope nobody minds. I'm ready for the culmination of 2008's movie season. Who's with me?

People give the Indy movie more hate than it deserves, and I think the hype has perpetuated itself to the point where people simply can not view it on its own merits anymore. I'm with you Trekker, it was good for what it was.

As for the Oscars, I don't care much for them. It is almost never about who or what was "best," but rather who or what deserves a given award because they haven't had one yet and are "due," and what was the best, last movie (sort of like the stupid BCS system). If a movie came out early in an "awards season," then it has no chance.

Nate Silver (who correctly predicted the U.S. election for all states but one) has already figured out who will win using a LOGIT statistical analysis. And it is Heath Ledger for supporting actor :)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_pi...silver-pre.html

Winslet and Ledger winning would give pretty strong support to my earlier post.

Edited by karamazov80

The Hottie and the Nottie is up there too. Though I know NOTHING abut it.

I do, and believe me you're better off not knowing. I only watched it because my younger sister insisted, and I still feel dirty (yecch, no pun intended) having watched it. :yucky: It was even more entertaining listening to my brother's snarky voiceover commentary when he rewatched that movie with his friends.

Second, The Oscars.

I'm bored and my TV is next to the computer. And as I started this topic, I think that I might as well just do a live posting of the winners as they come about.

I hope nobody minds. I'm ready for the culmination of 2008's movie season. Who's with me?

Hear hear! I think the last Oscar year I was remotely interested in was the year Brokeback Mountain, Capote, etc. were nominated.