UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Awards Season Discussion

Trekker 42

The Hottie and the Nottie is up there too. Though I know NOTHING abut it.

I do, and believe me you're better off not knowing. I only watched it because my younger sister insisted, and I still feel dirty (yecch, no pun intended) having watched it. :yucky: It was even more entertaining listening to my brother's snarky voiceover commentary when he rewatched that movie with his friends.

Second, The Oscars.

I'm bored and my TV is next to the computer. And as I started this topic, I think that I might as well just do a live posting of the winners as they come about.

I hope nobody minds. I'm ready for the culmination of 2008's movie season. Who's with me?

Hear hear! I think the last Oscar year I was remotely interested in was the year Brokeback Mountain, Capote, etc. were nominated.

Sadly enough, the last one I gave a rat's ass about was, I think, the Lord of the Rings sweep. And 2006 pissed me off as I HATED the Departed with a passion. Hated it. SO the fact that it won Best Picture really annoyed me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... okay, now I'm really intrigued by Werner Herzog's Best Documentary nominee (about scientists in Antarctica). I remember when his last one "Grizzly Man" was just premiering on the Discovery Channel, and I still feel like kicking myself for missing it.

I want Hellboy 2 to win Best Makeup. Anyone can look 20 years older on film, all they'd need is several hours of free time, a broadband line and MMMV. :P

Also, Peter Gabriel (who sang the nominated Wall-E song "Down To Earth") is boycotting the Oscars.

Also, Peter Gabriel (who sang the nominated Wall-E song "Down To Earth") is boycotting the Oscars.

After seeing this post and reading about it (be basically refused to do a one minute version of his song as part of a "medley" of all the best song nominees), I don't blame him. Gabriel has produced some great music over the years, and undoubtedly some of the most memorable music videos from my youth. He deserves more respect than that. They really wouldn't ask Bruce Springsteen to do something like that.

Edited by karamazov80

And here... we.. go...

Hugh Jackman has done a brilliant tribute to last years movies

"The Reader. I haven't seen The Reader!"

I like this host.

Lots of presenters announcing the Best Supporting Actress category's nominees. Whopee Goldberg is one.

Best Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz! Vicky Christina Barcelona

Steve Martin and Tina Fey presenting Best Original Screenplay

Winner: Dustin Lance Black for Milk

Best Adapted Screenplay also announced by Martin and Fey.

Winner: Simon Bofoy Slumdog Millionaire.

Jack Black and ? presenting Best Animated Film. Poor Oscar. Wall-E Doesn't seem to care much for him.

Winner: Wall-E

Black and ? (probably Jennifer Aniston) presenting Best Animated Short Film

Winner: La Meson in Petite cubes (sp? I hate french)

Edited by Trekker 42

Sarah Jessica Parker and Daniel Craig presenting Best Art Direction:

Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Craig and Parker Best Costume Design

Winner: The Dutchess

Craig and Parker presenting Best Makeup

Christopher Walkin, Allen Arkin, Joel Grey, Kevin Kline, and Cuba Gooding Jr. presenting Best Supporting Actor

Winner: Heath Ledger!! HELL YES!!! Trekker Happy!

Craig and Parker presenting Best Makeup

WHAT! Why didn't Hellboy or Dark Knight win?

I thought Hellboy was a given here. But apparantly not... Button was just too intelligent to not win. I think it's "Comic book prejudice." Though Heath Ledger won so... Though I bet it's because it's Ledger.

Some guy presenting Best Documentary

Winner: Man on Wire

Though Heath Ledger won so... Though I bet it's because it's Ledger.

Sadly, if he hadn't died, I doubt he would have won (if would even have been nominated). But like I posted earlier, more than just a "comic book" bias, it is also a bias against movies that came out too long ago.

Same dude presenting Best Documentary Short:

Winner: Smile Pinky

Though Heath Ledger won so... Though I bet it's because it's Ledger.

Sadly, if he hadn't died, I doubt he would have won (if would even have been nominated). But like I posted earlier, more than just a "comic book" bias, it is also a bias against movies that came out too long ago.

Yeah it is. BTW, what do you guys think of this year's entertainment? Damn Jackman is an awesome host.

Will Smith (introduced with Dark Knight score) presenting Best Visual Effects

Winner: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

It's an injustice, I tell you.

Will Smith presenting Best Sound Editing

Winner: The Dark Knight

Will Smith presenting Sound Mixing

Winner: Slumdog Millionaire

Will Smith presenting Best Film Editing

Winner Slumdog Millionaire

Edited by Trekker 42

Yeah I'm not liking old Benny right now either.

I never did see it.

Zac Efron and Alicia Keyes presenting Best Original Score

Zac Efron and Alicia Keyes presenting Best Original Song

Winner: Jai Ho (Slumdog Millionaire)

Frieda Pinto and Liam Neeson presenting Best Foreign Language film

Winner: Departures (Japan)

Queen Latifah is presenting the In Memorium montage.

Gone but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace

Reese Witherspoon presenting Best Director

Winner: Danny Boyle Slumdog Millionaire

Ugh. I am biased against Benjamin Button. Don't feel like reading the book/story it was originally based on. Such a simplistic premise, Oscar bait?! (And I was actually alright with Crash beating Brokeback for Best Picture!)

Gone but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace

Aww... anyone we know?

Zac Efron and Alicia Keyes presenting Best Original Score

Zac Efron and Alicia Keyes presenting Best Original Song

Winner: Jai Ho (Slumdog Millionaire)

Alicia Keys: a fine, gracious musician. Zac Efron: WTH?

Sophia Lauren, Shirley McClane, Hallie Berry, Nicole Kidman, Marion Kotiard (sp?) (Introduced with Gone with the Wind score, awesomely enough) Presenting Best Actress

Winner: Kate Winslet in The Reader

Gone but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace

Aww... anyone we know?

Charleton Heston, Roy Scheider, Heath Ledger, Ricardo Montalban, and Paul Newman to name a few

As for Efron: Has to be because of High School Musical 3

Edited by Trekker 42

Sophia Lauren, Shirley McClane, Hallie Berry, Nicole Kidman, Marion Kotiard Cotillard (Introduced with Gone with the Wind score, awesomely enough) Presenting Best Actress

Fix'd for you. And Gone With The Wind = :wub:

Winner: Kate Winslet in The Reader

.... Ehh. No offense but I'm getting pretty weary of Winslet nowadays.

Gone but not forgotten.

Rest in Peace

Aww... anyone we know?

Charleton Heston, Roy Scheider, Heath Ledger, Ricardo Montalban, and Paul Newman to name a few

... they already commemmorated Heath Ledger last year. Otherwise it's sad indeed we now have so many greats croaking on us. I seriously dread that inevitable day when we'll be announcing people from our time on these.

As for Efron: Has to be because of High School Musical 3

They can give the reins to some blonde pretty boy from a Disney movie but they can't cut Downey Jr. some slack on what is arguably his comeback year?

Oh wait, it's the Oscars. Eh, he'll be getting one next year for Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man 2 and/or Master Mind for sure. :P

... and now I'm finding it vaguely suspicious that Hollywood isn't lavishing so much inordinate attention on Vanessa Hudgens as Zac Efron. If you're gonna "honor" a Disney movie, at least be consistent about it.

Oh wait, Efron also appeared in Hairspray. Silly me. :stick:

Edited by NorthRaider

Robert De Niro, Sir Ben Kingsley, Anthony Hopkins, Adrian Brody, and Michael Douglas presenting Best Actor

Winner: Sean Penn in Milk

"You commie homo-Loving sons of guns"- Sean Penn. Oh my God I busted out laughing on this one.

Edited by Trekker 42

Winner: Sean Penn in Milk

Aww... and I thought Roarke had that in the bag for sure. :(

"You commie homo-Loving sons of guns"- Sean Penn. Oh my God I busted out laughing on this one.

Best Best Actor Onstage Gag since Daniel Day-Lewis getting knighted by Helen Mirren.:lol:

Benjamin Button

The Changeling

Milk

Frost/Nixon

Doubt

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

So many sucky movies, so little time...

The only ones from this year I'm actually excited to watch are Milk and The Wrestler. Not a Slumdog fan, but only because all the movie's content is too close to real life here. Feels pretty redundant.