UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

wave 23 and 24

maxcarnage

They are comic accurate, you're thinking of the movie too much where the arcreactor was a plot device as much as a method to keep tony alive.Tony's artificial heart in the comics does not power the suit.

In the comics Tony only wore his suit for 2 issues before faking his death, leaving an updated sexier suit for Jim Rhodes to wear. The light is a unibeam not an arc reactor.

hope that helps:)

T.

Thanks for the trivia! At least this explains both the chest light AND Rhodes' dainty feet!

(I so hope I can get/find that darned variant. A War Machine without shoulder cannons just isn't War Machine to me.)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the trivia! At least this explains both the chest light AND Rhodes' dainty feet!

(I so hope I can get/find that darned variant. A War Machine without shoulder cannons just isn't War Machine to me.)

You're welcome, :)

BTW both versions have shoulder cannons if you go back and look at the numerous pix you'll see they store on the back of the minimate when not on the shoulders :D

T.

One thing I thought would have made a real nice touch was if the cape a little bigger so you could maybe fit dagger "in" Cloak like in the comics and the Marvel Select figure I have. That would have been pretty cool!

http://www.toysngamesstore.com/images/MARV...IGURE-23670.jpg

That would also be a effing-huge cape for a 2-inch action figure. But I agree, it would've been nice if the mates also achieved that looming cape effect. Plus it'd come real handy for a Spawn custom ;)

BTW both versions have shoulder cannons if you go back and look at the numerous pix you'll see they store on the back of the minimate when not on the shoulders :D

T.

And thanks again for the info TBT. Must've missed the cannon on Tony's shoulder in the preview pics. You just saved me several hundred bucks' worth of anxiety right there :D

I am LOVING this wave. And the waiting game is killing me too.

I'm a little weirded out by something though...

WHY does Rhodes' armor come with that light in his chest? If that light's supposed to be the Arc Reactor-thingy then shouldn't it be on Tony's armor instead? Perhaps a simple head-swap is in order to make the War Machines comic-accurate? Or is this another one of those comic-insider things I'm not getting?

They are comic accurate, you're thinking of the movie too much where the arcreactor was a plot device as much as a method to keep tony alive.Tony's artificial heart in the comics does not power the suit.

In the comics Tony only wore his suit for 2 issues before faking his death, leaving an updated sexier suit for Jim Rhodes to wear. The light is a unibeam not an arc reactor.

hope that helps:)

T.

I am asking rather than querying but in the first appearance Iron- Man (Tales of Suspense #39(?)) surely his chest-piece powered his suit for quite a period of the story-arc. I appreciate that there is a chasm in my Iron-Man 'reading' & there may have been a re-invention of him which I am unaware, I refer specifically to my reference ToS .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I am asking rather than querying but in the first appearance Iron- Man (Tales of Suspense #39(?)) surely his chest-piece powered his suit for quite a period of the story-arc. I appreciate that there is a chasm in my Iron-Man 'reading' & there may have been a re-invention of him which I am unaware, I refer specifically to my reference ToS .

Yes for a while it did... but that was something like 300 issues back ( I will look up and see if I can find the first suit he made after having a smaller implant directly in his chest) ;) and the pods you see on his hips going WAY back are actually battery pods!

In fact I'm not even sure the new status Quo means Tony Stark has a artificial heart after the Extremis virus, it totally changed his physiology and rebuilt him at a genetic level, I assume it fixed his dodgy ticker too.

Of course post "Secret Invasion' start doesn't have extremis any more so it's a little unclear.

All of that is kind skipping around the question asked by NortherRaider, At the time of the War Machine debuts Stark was wearing a techno undersuit because his nervous system was shot to pieces and that was his life support not the War Machine armor ( Which was still called Iron Man armor for the Stark version )

Ok having re-read that I think I scared myself with my uber Ironman Geekyness!

T.

Thanks for that ,as I said I'm not trying to score points ....just to learn.

Never thought you were, despite your endless punning I dont see much in the way of 'tude coming from you.

No need to tiptoe around me though, I'm still mostly harmless ;)

T.

Yes for a while it did... but that was something like 300 issues back ( I will look up and see if I can find the first suit he made after having a smaller implant directly in his chest) ;) and the pods you see on his hips going WAY back are actually battery pods!

In fact I'm not even sure the new status Quo means Tony Stark has a artificial heart after the Extremis virus, it totally changed his physiology and rebuilt him at a genetic level, I assume it fixed his dodgy ticker too.

Of course post "Secret Invasion' start doesn't have extremis any more so it's a little unclear.

All of that is kind skipping around the question asked by NortherRaider, At the time of the War Machine debuts Stark was wearing a techno undersuit because his nervous system was shot to pieces and that was his life support not the War Machine armor ( Which was still called Iron Man armor for the Stark version )

Ok having re-read that I think I scared myself with my uber Ironman Geekyness!

T.

Perhaps "TBT" really stands for "That Beloved Tin-man" or something :teehee: (Yes, I know tin and iron are two completely different elements. I'm lousy at acronyms, okay? :lol:)

I'm still wrapping my brain around the notion of a Tony Stark without an artificial heart. It strikes me as kinda freaky, like a Storm without the white hair or a... Batman without the cape.

Thanks for that ,as I said I'm not trying to score points ....just to learn.

Never thought you were, despite your endless punning I dont see much in the way of 'tude coming from you.

No need to tiptoe around me though, I'm still mostly harmless ;)

T.

Thanks for that Timbo :)

OK then ......I'm right & your bloody wrong :lol:

I don’t know if this has officially been stated yet, but I believe that Waves 23 and 24 are arriving in comic shops to West Coast-ish states first (1/7/09). Then the rest of the US gets them next week (1/14/09), which has always been the norm. My comic shop has them listed this week, but the shipping list for Diamond Comics doesn’t have them.

I don’t know if this has officially been stated yet, but I believe that Waves 23 and 24 are arriving in comic shops to West Coast-ish states first (1/7/09). Then the rest of the US gets them next week (1/14/09), which has always been the norm. My comic shop has them listed this week, but the shipping list for Diamond Comics doesn’t have them.

I'm gonna have to agree. I just called my LCS not even a minute ago, and he said that he didn't se eit on the list, but call again tomorrow anyway. They may come. i'm leaning towards the 14th. I'm hoping for it too, because i can't get there tomorrow, and some kid and his dad go in every day they arrive and clean out the variants. :( I'm gonna need that Jim Rhodes.

Great Thread! :biggrin:

I've been looking forward to the War Machine Mini for years.. so glad its finally close to happening.

So if I don't find the variant, can I put an extra Rhodes head (from the movie) on the Tony War Machine and be all set? I guess there are still some differences in the suits.. but I just have to have Rhodey in the suit.

Do you guys think these will look best with the movie versions or which(if any)of the previous Iron Man releases?

And as a side note, I met some of you at Comic Con last year (2007) and this is a good group of collectors.

Long live the Multiverse and long live Minis!

-Vox

I ordered the whole iron man movie set last thursday, and wave 24 minimates this past sunday, and none came yet, anyone know why? AFX said they would come to me in 3 days.

I ordered the whole iron man movie set last thursday, and wave 24 minimates this past sunday, and none came yet, anyone know why? AFX said they would come to me in 3 days.

Unless you ordered them "overnight express," you shouldn't expect them in 3 days. They might get to you that fast, but probably not. Even if it is Priority Mail or something, you have to take into account the time it takes to package and ship them, plus the potential for delay depending on how far you are from the shipping center and the number of hands the package goes through on its way to you. I ordered from AFX a few times, and their Hawaii center got stuff to me in a few days, whereas their California center got stuff to me in about a week.

Actually I think you are confusing they will ship in 2-3 working days with actual shipping time.

The 2-3 days is for them to leave the shipping depot.

Having said that, I live in SoCal and almost every order once processed from AFX gets to me in 1-2 days. I guess it all depends where you live!

T.

Thanks karma and TBT!, that clears things up.

So if I don't find the variant, can I put an extra Rhodes head (from the movie) on the Tony War Machine and be all set? I guess there are still some differences in the suits.. but I just have to have Rhodey in the suit.

Do you guys think these will look best with the movie versions or which(if any)of the previous Iron Man releases?

Heh heh, I was just thinking about doing that myself! Of course, some here would probably still harbor a preference for the War Machine Rhodes since his facial expression looks grittier/more dramatic/more comic-accurate compared to the relatively clean/sunny Movie Rhodes head on any other War Machine suit.

As for how the Movie armors would look next to previous ones, there are bound to be a few glaring discrepancies in the overall look of them but I guess that should come natural for Minimates. Take for example how simple the original wave 6 Iron Man would look when compared to the much shinier Movie Mark III, or how much curvier (and shorter) the Movie Mark III looks next to the more angular Civil War Iron Man (correct me if I'm wrong but is this armor the Extremis version?)

Personally though I'm perfectly happy having all those different-looking minimate IM armors (IF I ever acquire that many) grouped altogether: the visual variety of 'em all is just fun to look at, and besides, in real life Tony Stark would have a whole smorgasbord of armors! B)

There is something wonderful about that word ...smorgasbord. The first time I ever heard the word was on holiday in Queensland years ago . I remember dithering over whether to buy tickets for the 'Seafood- Smorgasbord' . I wasn't sure if I'd like the taste of a Smorgasbord & enquiring if it was caught locally :blush: