UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

tell all about the Wii

minijeff

because we just got one by surprise on the bus tonight!! came home from my parents to a message that there was a package waiting at the bus depot and when my wife gets home I open the door and she ask if Wii would like to play! :O:O

Jeff of the Miniacs

We have a wii and I have to say the the whole family enjoys it. The Graphics may not be as impressive as the other two main consoles but the gameplay is much better.

It is a console for more group play I have found and can easily get none gamer interested in playing then anything else I have found

Ah, the Wii, once the Apple of my Eye! :)

Here you go, Nintendo Wii 101

The console itself is pretty sexy. It's small and that glowing blue light is very pleasing to the eye. You will be introduced to the "Wii Channels" Menu once you're on. Wii Channels are basically programs or features that you can use on the Wii. Booted up you will have Disc Channel where you can play your game as well as a Shop Channel, News Channel, Weather Channel, Photo Channel, and Mii Channel. They are all cool and unique, but loose their shine after a while. You can also download new channels from the Shop Channel, included the Everybody Votes Channel and the Internet Channel (for a cost!). The Menu is slick and pretty self explanitory. There are some nice tricks, but I'll leave those up to you to find!

The Wii is wireless internet ready right out of the box. So, if you have a wireless router a quick run through the settings screen will get you online. If you do not have a wireless router you will have to buy a seperate adaptor to run a Cat cable to your Wii.

The real beauty of the Wii goes in the Remote Controller or as we like to call it, the "Wiimote". Right out of the box you will have Wii Sports, and to this day there isn't a better game to showcase just what the Wiimote is about. Once you play Home Run Derby or Hit 9 Holes or just Bowl your first strike you will be sold.

I also need to mention the Virtual Console. From the WiiShop channel you can purchase classic games from consoles such as the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, and a few others. You can purchase all the Classic Super Mario Bros. Games, as well as The Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Punchout, Star Fox, Wave Race, Castlevania, and tons of others. If you like your classics games you will be able to find something here. There is also a few feature they call WiiWare, which is bascially brand new games created for your Wii Console. They use the WiiMote in some cool ways. You download the full game and it appears as it's own Channel on your main menu screen!

Negatives? There are always some. The biggest problem that the Wii faces to Shovelware. That's what the industry refers likes to call games that are half-@$$ed and just put on the console because people are dumb enough to buy anything! On top of that you are going to suffer from Last-Generation syndrome, where most of the games you will play look like GameCube games. You can say what you want, but most of the games feel like polished GameCube games, so if you are a graphics whore you will be disappointed. But, as MiniFiend pointed out, the Wii is about all Gameplay and not horsepower. And, finally, the is the lack of Online Connectivity. Still relying on a Flawed Friend Code system, and offering limited features and even games. If you are heavy into online co-op and the like, you will not find much here!

Overall I've had my Wii since launch and I still play it on almost a weekly basis. It's still fun, but the real beauty of the system comes with a room full of people! There is nothing like going for an all out Bowl-o-thon from the your living room. While games like Halo and Call of Duty came be enjoyed by 10 people at a time online, nothing beats the interaction of a room full of friends having a blast!

Recommended Games:

Mario Galaxy

-If you are a gamer at all you will be familiar with Mario. Mario 64 set the bar for what the 3D world would be. WHile Galaxy doesn't do the same, it does feel like the first true sequel to that classic and it's a worth addition to any library. It's fun and challenging and it's Mario!

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

-Twilight Princess takes Link into a very real looking world with another grand adventure. It's the same Zelda we've all loved since Ocarina, but it does all the use of the WiiMote for things like Bow and Arrows! It's a classic tale of Link and Zelda and probably the best since Ocarina!

Boom Blox

-Seven Speilberg himself put his name on this game so it's to be good right? Well, note counting Indy 4 he does have a good track record. The easiest way to describe Boom Blox is "Jenga with the WiiMote"! However, that just barely scratches the surface. Not only can you pull the Blox down Jenga style, but you can also toss baseballs at the stack and knock Blox off for points. Plus there is a full creator mode where you can create any Blox Tower you can imagine!

Warioware

-If you're not familar with Warioware, it's like crack! It's a collector of like 200 mini games from Japan. They are all wierd and LOL funny. Each games last about 5 seconds and you play through levels to see how far you can get before failing. This is another great game to play with a bunch of friend around. It also supports 16 player pass the WiiMote mode!

Zack and Wiki

-This was a very great game that flew in under the radar. It's a point and click adventure where you try to solve puzzles to find the teasure. It was well received by critics but didn't sell very well. If you can find this game, buy it!

MLB Power Pros 08

-This was the most recent game that I've purchases, but I have to give it props. If you are a sports/baseball fan you need this game. if not, you can stop reading, lol. This is the most detailed baseball game that I've ever played. They take this dwarfed japanesse player models and put them in the big game and while it looks simple and kiddy, it couldn't be farter from the truth. This is tried and true baseball, no graphic glitches, no crappy baserunning, no hard to understand controls. This is a game that puts fun back into baseball! Again, a must own for Baseball/Sports Game fans!

WiiPlay

-After 2 years on the market, WiiPlay still finds itself near the top of the best selling list. Why? Because of the WiiMote. A Seperate WiiMote is $39. You can buy Wii Play for $49 and you get a collection of Minigames AND a WiiMote. So, you are basically getting a game for $10. Now, don't get the wrong impression. You get what you pay for. WiiPlay is a very simple, with about 6 or 8 minigames. There are a few that are decent (Pool, Combat) and a few that are "eh", but in the end it's only $10 and it's worth that! If you can find one of these games you should pick it up, you're going to need the extra controller anyway!

Honorable Mentions:

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

-WiiFit

-Mario and Sonic at the Olympics

-ExciteTruck

Well, I hope that helps. If I think of anything else I'll pass it along and if you have any other questions let me know! neo

Two other obvious, fun games to get are Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart, and one that I personally dig, but that is really just a compilation of existing NeoGeo games, is the Metal Slug Anthology.

Edited by karamazov80

What I like about the Wii is that it communicates with all types of people. I am not much of a "gamer" and neither is my wife, but we can have fun playing the Wii. Also, if a friend or family member decides to play against us, our experience and skill levels do not always mean a completely lop-sided match. A newbie can play tennis with me and not get totally killed because I have a higher skill level.

The Wii is definitely a fun system to own.

I can agree with everything above, but would like to add a couple games to the list.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: basically like X-men Legends 1 and 2, top view beat'em up with slight RPG elements like character leveling. It's fun to sit around with some friends and just beat the crap out of the villains of the Marvel Universe.

If you have folks who aren't into video games but like gaming, I would suggest Mario Party 8.

Board game style like Every other Mario Party from the past but alot more interaction due to using the Wiimote.

And Shane is right, high skill level doesn't necessarily mean victory.

My wife and I Wiisports Tennis and she has a hard time with gaming depth perception, yet destroys me in the game cause she swings randomly and still ends up hitting the ball! XD

Yeah, what everyone has said is really true. The best part of the Wii is that it's accessable to anyone and everyone. In fact, the person who enjoys in the most in my house is my Mother-In-Law. Almost ever time she's over she's like, "Wanna play Boom Blox?" She loves that game and will play for hours and she's turning 50 next week. So, it is a console that is ageless and whether you've played for years or for the first time, it's a blast to play.

I can also agree with Smash Bros (Can't believe I left that one off) and Mario Kart. In fact, my 2 year old daughter's favorite game is Mario Kart because she can actually play. It's as simple as holding 2 and steering! Marvel: UA is also a great game, that didn't come to mind because the 360 version is much better, but if a Wii is all that you have it's a must own for Comic fans!! neo

• 3 months later...

I have to say that Metroid Prime 3 is one of the most entertaining games on the Wii. Hell of a shooter and a good story to boot. You don't even have to understand Metroid Prime 1 and 2 to get this. I've never played either and I'm perfectly fine on 3.