UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC minimate news poll

SDCC 08 minimate announcements.  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What news has you going GA-GA?

• Marvel Minimates wave 24 (Spidey & villains)
    • Marvel Secret Invasion boxed set
    • Iron Man "Hostile Takeover" boxed set
    • Charm City cakes minimate
    • Potential ressurection of the DC minimates in boxed sets
    • Potential Spirit minimates
    • Potential Punisher War Zone minimates

So there have been a few new announcements "minimatewise" at this year's San Diego Comic Con and I was wondering what's got your major interest for later this year. Here are your choices.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I guess it's wave 24, since I've know about the Invaders box set. Spirit is interested. I'm sure how excited I am about potential punisher mates ... I'm actually about to drop the comic from my pull list. I was hoping for some Star Trek minimate news.

DC 'Mates would be the best news, but as luke says, it doesn't look very likely, so I'm going with the Invasion set. Beast! After that would be the cake chef-'Mate with all the cool accessories.

seriously...nothing

I mean I like the invasion box set for the beast. But over all

spirit = boring as shit

no new movie news = not good for the future of the movie lines

another iron man set = we get it iron man is a hot property=you can stop now

punisher war zone = the equivalent of ghost rider movie mates. actors in civilian clothes

some dude that makes cakes = are you fucking kidding me?

the only things that came out at SDCC that i was excited about was the marvel 3 3/4 scale figures (since they will interact with the 25th anniversary joes) oh yea and Crossbones Marvel legend was the bomb...

other than that a lot of anticipation with a huge let down after the smoke cleared.

in all honesty, starting to wonder if minimates are on the way out...

that is all

moc847

For me its the DC boxsets be it ever so slim I really dont want to see the end of DC mates.

As for the rest Charm city I just dont get it Maybe its because I'm in the UK this show is as far as I know not showing over here. I will prob purchese a set if I saw them in a store just for the accessories. Spirit minimates if they are comic based designs cool but I've watched the trailer and as much as I love Sin City and 300 this Spirit movie just doesn't cut it for me it looks more Sky Captain then uber cool Sin City. So I'm in 2 minds over the mates if comic based cool but if based on the movie characters then no thanks. Punisher Movie mates I have to say minimates and superhero movie franchises are hit and miss and to be honest more miss then hit out of al the ones released for me the only set that are on the money are the Ironman stuff.

So as I said at the start for me its my vote for DC no matter how slim

I would have liked to see some news on a new license or maybe some new BSG.... Sadly, of all the stuff that was discussed or shown, the Cake guy is the most exciting, largely because of the cool accessories.

Not that the comic stuff isn't cool, but it's just not my thing

I feel disappointed about no new BSG, Star Trek, or movie mates. These are some of my favorite lines and I was all excited about seeing some new stuff...but nothing...major bummer!

I hope this isn't a sign of bad news for these lines!

I imagine DST wants to see what some of the current movie licenses do before they extend their reach further, which would likely explain the lack of any new movie licenses. After all, we still have Rocky 3, Desperately Seeking Susan, Platoon, Fistful of Dollars, and The Good the Bad and the Ugly, with other movies such as Silence of the Lambs just hitting shelves recently. That's a lot of questionable money.

As far as what I'm most excited about, I'd have to go with the Punisher 'mates. I don't see how they can make a full wave out of them, since you'll definitely end up with either a Ghost Rider scenario (civilian heavy) or a Spider-Man 3 scenario (too many Punishers). Still, I love the character and I loved the first movie. The second one looks even darker and more intense, so I'd love to get my hands on some mates from it.

The Spirit might be cool too, though I don't know anything about the character or the movie. The Chef Duff one looks cool, mostly from a custom fodder standpoint, but I imagine it'll be a hard to find one. And I'm actually excited about all the Marvel 'mates coming down the line.

I doubt DC will pan out, as they clearly said they were breaking even with the 2-packs, so unless the box set route would cost less to produce and still brought in the same sales numbers, I doubt it'll even be worth their effort. Maybe they'll test the waters with a set to at least finish fleshing out one property, just to shut us all up. And I have no clue about the Doctor Who line. I imagine Underground knows that a huge bit of its appeal rests in the European market, which is where Minimates aren't being sold. I imagine a letter writing campaign could be in order, though I don't know if it will change their minds. I'm afraid we may see these join I, Robot and Kelloggs on the shelf of things that could have been.

DC Minimates Boxsets, slim chance or not, I want to fill out some teams. After that, I wasn't blown away witht the Secret Invasion Boxset, but it is well done, and will give me phoenix, jewel, and a wolverine mask, so I can't complain too much.

Punisher Warzone: God no, not only am I sick of Marvel Moviemate waves, the new Punisher movie doesn't even look good. If I could get a Thomas Jane punisher mate from the first movie, I'd be stoked, but I doubt I'll even see War Zone in theaters much less buy minimates based on it.

The Cake Thing: I have no idea what this is from, or where or how they'll sell it. It's not a definitie no-buy, but I don't care too much about accecories, and if it costs what a standard 2-pack does, my money will be better spent elsewhere.

The Spirit Comic-line: Know nothing about the spirit, so I'm not too interested, but I'm sure it'll please alot of people, so I'm all for it.

The Spirit Movie-line: The Spirit, as little as I know about him, at least I know he doesn't belong in Sin City, so I don't realize why the movie is being made into a cheap Sin City rip off. I doubt I'll buy a single Spirit movie-mate or see the movie they are based on.

The Spirit, as little as I know about him, at least I know he doesn't belong in Sin City, so I don't realize why the movie is being made into a cheap Sin City rip off.

Don't want to make too many inferences when only a few clips/trailers have been released, but it is probably because Frank Miller only seems to know how to (or only wants to) make movies that look like that. The trailer seemed extremely derivative of Sin City, and though I enjoyed Sin City, I don't necessarily want to see that style used for any other franchise.

seriously...nothing

spirit = boring as shit

punisher war zone = the equivalent of ghost rider movie mates. actors in civilian clothes

the only things that came out at SDCC that i was excited about was the marvel 3 3/4 scale figures (since they will interact with the 25th anniversary joes) oh yea and Crossbones Marvel legend was the bomb...

other than that a lot of anticipation with a huge let down after the smoke cleared.

that is all

moc847

What's with the negative vibe lately? I don't think I've seen a post of yours where you are not bitching or complaining for a few months.

Spirit= Boring as shit to you perhaps But others like it, sorry they are not making lines you want but ones that they can get licenses for and will probably sell.

IM= with that amount of tooling do you blame them for reusing the molds? would you rather have had a half assed movie wave here they didn't have half the moulded pieces etc because they couldn't recoup the costs by doing other sets?

Punisher= You havent even seen the concept art yet let alone proto's or the know who is in the wave, so you are simply blowing smoke.

Cake Dude= Go read the thread, these guys came to DST and payed to have these made, it's not like DST thought oh yeah lets do some cake based TV instead of another license.

Other news= DST have been drip feeding news on the other lines over the last few months and yes it was a quiet con for news but there is probably more in production now than ever... seriously think how much stuff we know about that isn't released yet, we are pretty much 2 waves ahead on all the licences. Minimates are DST's biggest line and are defiitely not on the way out.

Seriously man you need to realise (To use your favourite phrase) what a negative douche you are coming across as. Perhaps if you hate mini's so much right now then you should go take a break and come back when you feel a little less bitter about everything.

T.

seriously...nothing

spirit = boring as shit

that is all

moc847

What's with the negative vibe lately? I don't think I've seen a post of yours where you are not bitching or complaining for a few months.

Spirit= Boring as shit to you perhaps But others like it, sorry they are not making lines you want but ones that they can get licenses for and will probably sell.

IM= with that amount of tooling do you blame them for reusing the molds? would you rather have had a half assed movie wave here they didn't have half the moulded pieces etc because they couldn't recoup the costs by doing other sets?

Punisher= You havent even seen the concept art yet let alone proto's or the know who is in the wave, so you are simply blowing smoke.

Cake Dude= Go read the thread, these guys came to DST and payed to have these made, it's not like DST thought oh yeah lets do some cake based TV instead of another license.

Other news= DST have been drip feeding news on the other lines over the last few months and yes it was a quiet con for news but there is probably more in production now than ever... seriously think how much stuff we know about that isn't released yet, we are pretty much 2 waves ahead on all the licences. Minimates are DST's biggest line and are defiitely not on the way out.

Seriously man you need to realise (To use your favourite phrase) what a negative douche you are coming across as. Perhaps if you hate mini's so much right now then you should go take a break and come back when you feel a little less bitter about everything.

T.

A few months? I dont think so... and as far as me having a negative attitude. it hasn't been against anyone on the board. Nor have a I told anyone their opinions are wrong that seems to be your deal.

Edited by murderofcrows

MOC:

I was just pointing out your how negative you've been (Seriously go back and look at your last 10-20 posts and try to find something positive you've said) I cant stop you posting an opinion but if you want to be know as the boards whiny little bitch that's cool, just don't expect others to take your opinions seriously!

DRGN:

Actually they only showed 2-3 pieces of art from that line, I think it was Jigsaw, Punisher and Random thug - yep we are getting a random thug, something we've been asking for for ages.

Although Chuck let me get a close look it was pretty brief, What I did see was pretty cool looking and Punisher came with a plethora of accessories, I think I counted nine guns (New moulds), very sweet!

T.

I figured if they did a whole wave on Punisher, it would have to include some random thugs. At least based on what I know of the new movie. The Thomas Jane Punisher would flesh out pretty nicely into a wave, since you had a Howard Saint, a Russian, a Harry Heck, a Quentin, a Mickey, plus Joan, Dave, and Bumpo, and you could toss in that Frank Castle guy for good measure. But with Jigsaw being the only villain announced for this one, you'd have him, Frank, and that's about it. Hopefully we can get a cop in there somewhere, along with Wayne Knight's character. An accessory that plugs onto the random thug's head to simulate him having his brains blown out would be awesome, but something tells me that won't be included in the line-up.

An accessory that plugs onto the random thug's head to simulate him having his brains blown out would be awesome, but something tells me that won't be included in the line-up.

Ahh the joys of customising ;)

T.

The highlight for me (as an SDCC virgin) was listening to 'Digger' at the DST Forum who apparently is the 'Ancient One' in the Minimate world. He helped set the whole thing rolling ".....having seen Kubricks in Asia &......wanting to produce a more-articulated version in the US". I found that info fascinating,he loved kubricks & wanted better. News was thin on the ground that's for sure but is that so surprising when we were actually being allowed to buy 2 beautiful Marvel box-sets? I am not sure if anybody has posted the 'news' that an X-Men #1 is being 'more than just hinted at' .....if they haven't then surely that's news? The real bad news is the Who stuff, nobody knows & nobody seems to want to know! Away from the forum I heard Brewer from DC state that DC box sets were "....the most likely way (if at all) that DC mates would return". Now that is more optimistic than "ain't appenin' " isn't it?

To be fair to everybody that went to the Forum (including the presenters) it was spoiled by the fact that people were continually coming & going ,opening & shutting exit/entance doors to the conference room & spoiling the continuity. Much of what was being said was often barely heard.

SDCC was absolutely fascinating though ......do it one day.

I am not sure if anybody has posted the 'news' that an X-Men #1 is being 'more than just hinted at' .....if they haven't then surely that's news?

:):turned::teehee: (trying to represent rolling on the floor in glee, like a small child)

Edited by karamazov80