UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man Movie

Jatta Pake

Just to update everybody. According to boxofficemojo.com, Iron Man has raked in $104 million domestic and $96.7 million overseas for a grand total of $201 million worldwide. With a production budget of $140 million (not including promotional) IM's not doing to shabby for it's first weekend. I smell fast tracked sequel!

Edited by MINI_MYTE

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have seen talks about:

Tony Stark having a small appearance in The Incredible Hulk. I would love to see Tony and Nick Fury talking about the fact that if they can contain the Hulk, he could be a great asset to the Avengers. Loving it!!

This is true, there was actually a video of it at the New York Comic Con, I believe. I have seen it linked at Aintitcool.com. It shows Stark meeting with Thunderbolt Ross, to discuss their respective "issues."

As I have said many times in the last few years... Now Is A Great Time To Be A Super Hero Fan!!

I agree 100%. This is my childhood dreams come true, and I'm glad that I have a 6 year old nephew that I can use to vicariously enjoy this stuff as if I were a kid again. And this goes for all the nostalgic toys (GI Joe 25th Anniversary, Transformers Classics and Alternators) as well as tv shows and movies.

Just to update everybody. According to boxofficemojo.com, Iron Man has raked in $104 million domestic and $96.7 million overseas for a grand total of $201 million worldwide. With a production budget of $140 million (not including promotional) IM's not doing to shabby for it's first weekend. I smell fast tracked sequel!

This is a problem that I actually had with the end of the credits deal. It's like the decision to give Superman a kid--it paints the movie-makers into a corner, IMO. You can't ignore the Avengers thing in part 2, can you? Its as if they want to do the Avengers next, but I think that a Cap film has to be made first, obviously, and that it would also behoove them to do another Iron Man flick first, to milk that franchise for a bit more money, obviously, but also to give him some more conflicts and character development before throwing him into a movie with 5-6 other superheroes fighting some massive alien threat or something, where you won't have the time to do such a thing. . .but what can you do? They wanted a cool, geeky ending and cameo, and they made it. I just hope that they can back away from that and take their time with any potential "Ultimate Avengers" movie.

--edit: plus, I forgot that an Edgar Wright "Antman" is in the works. Seems real strange to be pushing for a team-up flick before the audience really gets to know these characters.--

Edited by karamazov80

Glad to hear you liked it TBT, I know what a IM fan you are ;) Do you have the screen saver on your computer? I downloaded one from the Iron Man site yesterday. Got tired of looking at the Harry Potter one I downloaded for my wife for The Order of the Phoenix movie. It's pretty cool and shows the evolution of the suit, being a fan, it should be on your computer. Karamazoo, I wouldn't worry about

your thoughts on them doing a Avengers movie before working out the rest of the team independently. From what I've heard, they are going to be doing the independent movies 1st and then move onto the Avengers movie. Both Thor and Ant man (doubtful he'll be in the Avengers) are in early production or script developement, same with Captain America. Trust me, I think they are being a little more smart about things, now that the films are under their control and not the studios. BTW, how long are we going to give folks before we stop using spoiler tags?

Edited by The_Donster

Ant man (doubtful he'll be in the Avengers)

Just out of curiosity, why do you think this? Is it because of the presumably comedic nature of the forthcoming movie?

Even if that is the case, to give one of the core, founding Avengers a solo movie, but not put him in a later Avengers film would seem beyond bizarre to me.

Ant man (doubtful he'll be in the Avengers)

Just out of curiosity, why do you think this? Is it because of the presumably comedic nature of the forthcoming movie?

Even if that is the case, to give one of the core, founding Avengers a solo movie, but not put him in a later Avengers film would seem beyond bizarre to me.

Because too many players will affect the story and they'll most likely go the Ultimate Avenger direction. Plus, it would be better to go the Giant Man/Wasp angle, not Ant Man. Not to mention the Ant Man movie not being about Hank. Sorry there are no spoilers, but this is common knowledge and I'm on my phone at the moment.

[Taken from The Minimates' Arms]

Just a couple of notes first!

-It made over $104 million, making it the 2nd highest selling non-sequal release behind Spider-Man.

-For those that were patient there was an awsome little clip at the end of the movie!

As far as the movie itself. I went to the 7pm show last night (Sunday) with my wife. She was hesitant because she's not a comic fan and didn't know who Iron Man was. She likes the Spider-Man movies but can't stand the Superman, Batman or X-Men movies. But, I talked her into taking one for the team. The best review I can give to you guys is hers, which was, and I quote, "Wow, that was a really good movie." "Better than Spider-Man?" I asked, "Yeah, I think so!" So, from the mouth of my beautiful, Non-Comic Fan, wife, two thumbs up!

As for my impressions, they are more of the same really. I loved the movie in almost every way. I've said it from the first announcement, Robert Downey Jr. is the best guy for the job. Now, after seeing the movie, I can honestly say that RDJ was born to be Tony Stark. Never have I seen a more perfect transition from page to screen. If the think of the greats what comes to mind? Hugh plays a mavelous Wolverine. Toby pulls off Spidey almost to a T. And I have to believe that Patrick Stewart middle name is Xavier. However, as good as they are, RDJ is better. I'm not saying his a better actor, but I'm saying he is a better character brought to life. Everything about his settle charm to his overwhelming confidence to his realization of the gravity of his life feels flawless on screen. Shoot, I'd watch an Alien Vs. Preditor Vs. Iron Man movie if RDJ played Tony Stark !!

The story was great, it kept the classic origin almost straight down the line, only changing the setting really. The idea of Stark stepping up to the plate and wanting to take responsibility for his actions is good to see and you can clearly see the drastic change of character. The story doesn't feel forced and you can completely believe and support his motives for becoming someone.......something better.

What can I say about the eye candy? The movie looked AMAZING. The suit was SO DANG COOL. Honestly, If I could afford to buy an Iron Man suit like that I would wear it to the mall every saturday, it was that dang cool. They way they did Tony's face on the black screen for inside the helmet was amazing. You really feel like you understand how everything works now. The comics have done it, but to see it live and in action makes it so much more real. It feels like you could actually do it. And that first scene in the Mark III suit was one of my favorite Hero moments yet!

Was it perfect? No, but most aren't. While Jeff Bridges did really good, I felt his talent was way underused. In fact I would have prefered they kept him through the Triology before making the switch. Of course, the film has to have a villian and that was my biggest complain. While the Iron Monger looked amazing, it was grossly underused in the film.

All in all though it is a Must-See movie for anyone, fan or casual view alike. The acting by all 4 of the main players were great. The subtle hints (SHIELD) for the fans is nice. The story was top notch and written and directed beautifully. This is now my 2nd favorite Origin movie over Spider-Man and just behind Batman Begins, and is 3rd all time behind Batman Begins and Spider-Man 2. If we see the progression between Iron Man 1 and 2 as we did with Spider-Man, IM2 may just be the greatest Superhero movie of all time. Only time will tell. But, in the meantime stop reading this and go buy a ticket. You won't be disappointed! neo

Edited by neolego

Just got back from seeing Iron Man, I LIKED IT!!! :D . Ican't wait for the minimates, I want to do a custom "movie"

War Machine from the mark II armor.

. Did this for the benefit of those who haven't seen the movie.(shame on you. :P )

Read that line up on superherohype as well. I think for me the hardest one to do will be the Thor movie. I just cant see it getting across to audiences that easily. Its just Thors look I cant see it on the big screen.

Ironman has the armour and it doesnt really matter what the build of the actor for Cap Am a good costume design can give the muscle look where needed, But Thor is supposed to be a big guy I'm not talking hulk big but well above average big. I just cant see how they are going to get a balanced look.

There is 3 ways I can see them trying it but cant pinpoint one that for me works the best.

CGI go the Hulk route and have a digital Thor. My fear one this is that I have not seen a human CGI that passes as a human. Hulk was ok and Gollum was much better but they could really be shaded or whatever and being none human.

Bodysuit bulk out an actor to get the size. I just cant help thinking of Robin Williams in Popeye. I know the suits have got better but its just the arms I keep seeing Popeye arms.

Or lastly just use a big guy. I cant think of anyone that can act that are close to the physique of Thor. They could use bodybuilders or wrestlers but I dont hold out much hope of finding one that wont be just plain wooden. Throw in some Shakespeare Thor speak and a bad actor could make peoples ears and eyes bleed at the same time.

Theres still a longway to go on this but that was my first thoughts.

They could do what they did in FF2 with the silver surfer when they use a body actor and then used Larry Fishburn.

I think HHH is the best looking thor I have in mind. But he was in Blade 3, then agian so was ryan reynolds and he is in Wolvie as deadpool so anything is possible.

Read that line up on superherohype as well. I think for me the hardest one to do will be the Thor movie. I just cant see it getting across to audiences that easily. Its just Thors look I cant see it on the big screen.

That's the first thing that came to my mind, too. I imagine they would just do a roided-out fella like Schwarzenegger in Conan (I guess HHH, though he would sound absolutely stupid trying to speak in the pidgin olde English that Thor tends to use). I don't see that as being a problem, but I don't see a Thor movie working as something that people would really want to pay money to see. He's just not as cool or interesting from a character, or design-perspective as Iron Man, Spiderman, Hulk, or Batman, in my eyes. The only way I can really see it working is if they try to do an all-out fantasy Thor movie, taking place in Asgard. Then, they may be able to pull in sci-fi geeks or kids who like to see a bunch of crazy stuff like dragons and giants, but if you do a story of Thor living with an alter-ego, discovering that he isn't really a disabled person but a God, etc., I don't know. Given, I haven't read much Thor in recent years, so they may have come up with some really interesting, fan-pleasing stories for him. But a Thor movie? They could do much better re-booting the FF franchise, or doing another X-spin-off I would bet.

Edited by karamazov80

......imagine they would just do a roided-out fella like Schwarzenegger in Conan........trying to speak in the pidgin olde English that Thor tends to use.......

.......buttheadsmate is Thor :D

Strangely enough I've just read Thor 1-8 . I tend to buy my comics as lots & then read them altogether. Stunning .

Just got back from seeing Iron Man, I LIKED IT!!! :D . Ican't wait for the minimates, I want to do a custom "movie"

War Machine from the mark II armor.

. Did this for the benefit of those who haven't seen the movie.(shame on you. :P )

Dude, I just thought I'd point out you don't need to spoiler what you said. #1 the Minimates are clearly visable to anyone so we know there is a Mark II Minimate. #2 War Machine is NOT in the movie so you aren't spoiling anything. And #3, I'm sure you are not the only one that is thinking of a War Machine Custom. No big, just thought I'd point that out :).

As for the other movies mentioned, here are my thoughts:

Captain America - is going to be dangerous. A Boy Scout dressed in an American Flag is very touchy. I don't know if it will be as easy to get across as Iron Man, but if they nail Steve like they nailed Tony it will work.

Avengers - I have no comments. I'll wait and see how Hulk, Thor, and Cap are!

Thor - Is the most intriguiging to me because like Minifiend mentioned, this is VERY HARD to visuallize. If they weren't moving toward the Avengers movie, I would say so something just like Beowolf. That would be the best direction they could do Thor. All digital, CGI over actors. To pull off the Mystical worlds/fights like they need to, it should be CGI. That being said, they appear to be moving toward a huge Avengers Tie-In. So, with that being said I think the only want to make it believable and inviting to a casual audience is to go with an "Ultimate" type of approch. Base it all in the real world with NO acient Greek worlds. Play him as a half crazy drunk, maybe even a hint of "Handcock". Loki comes to this world to take over and the Crazy man who believes he is a God gets a chance to prove himself. They have to get a human actor. Thor is stacked, but he is no Thor. If you go CGI ala Hulk it will be a disgrace. Get a super strong guy and make it about the Hammer and the power. Let him wear his Ultimate get up with Simple armour and no hat/wings. Again, I think it can be done, but it's going to be a stretch to make it good! neo

Edited by neolego

In more ways than one I am old school Marvel & when I was a kid, Captain America was, to an English kid,OK but not 'up there' with Iron Man & Thor. Either the comics(in general) themselves or perhaps I lost my/their way for a long long time until a friend of mine gave me the latest issue of 'Captain America' a couple of years ago. It was the first Marvel I had read for quite some time & I was even complaining about the glossy paper..............

"For f**k sake get to the point" :rolleyes:

...........OK ....OK.....I'm back into reading comics & the point is that the Captain America comic-book has been brilliant for ages & the time is ripe for a film. Captain America personifies the USA as we (Johnny Foreigner) hopes it could be & hopefully will be again....is it just coincidence that he's dead at the moment?

I've just read 're-booted' Thor(1-8) & apart from that helmet (WTF) it is truly moving in parts . I'm not sure were ready for a Thor film yet though . If someone could come up with the budget I see Thor with his Asgardian cohorts working in the LOR style ,not before.

I haven't seen Iron Man yet .....I need to. :yes:

Neolego....'Hancock' is the name of the film, 'Handcock' describes one or two members here :P

Edited by buttheadsmate

Just got back now. the verdict.....a massive sigh of relief. Usually When a movie gets this much hype it can be disappointing but not this baby oh no. finally Marvel have their own Batman begins and by that a comic movie that seems to be held in such a high regard by both fans and non fans alike.. I CANT WAIT FOR THE MATES NOW

Just got back now. the verdict.....a massive sigh of relief. Usually When a movie gets this much hype it can be disappointing but not this baby oh no. finally Marvel have their own Batman begins and by that a comic movie that seems to be held in such a high regard by both fans and non fans alike.. I CANT WAIT FOR THE MATES NOW

Agreed. I was worried I would enjoy it less due to all the hype. Thankfully I was wrong. I loved every minute of this movie, and the two+ hours flew right by!

Now the last two movies I need to see this summer (in theaters) are The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones!

Agreed. I was worried I would enjoy it less due to all the hype. Thankfully I was wrong. I loved every minute of this movie, and the two+ hours flew right by!

Now the last two movies I need to see this summer (in theaters) are The Dark Knight and Indiana Jones!

What? No Hulk or Narnia love?

Haha! Hulk has love, but as a college student, he doesn't have my movie theater love. I have already seen Hulk on the big screen. As for Narnia, I never got around to watching TL,tW, & tW... which is odd cause I read the books when I was young.

Indiana Jones movies are pretty much my favorite ever, and Batman is my favorite DC superhero.

Haha! Hulk has love, but as a college student, he doesn't have my movie theater love. I have already seen Hulk on the big screen. As for Narnia, I never got around to watching TL,tW, & tW... which is odd cause I read the books when I was young.

Indiana Jones movies are pretty much my favorite ever, and Batman is my favorite DC superhero.

Well if you read the Narnia books, it's just about a perfect translation to the screen in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe except that Tumnus is much younger on fill so its not a creepy him taking Lucy home for tea. If it was verbatum to te book, Tumnus would have been a pedophile

I'll definitely have to check it out. I understand the producers reasoning for making Tumnus younger, some things just can't transfer well from book to movie, and would be perceived wrong by the audience.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know if Cap's shield was in the movie? Someone at the HQ said it was.

Found it. Here's Linkage. Look below Tony's right arm (to the left of the picture) on the clearest pic you can find on the page. That looks like a piece of Cap's shield like he's working on it, but he isn't quite done. See the star?

EDIT: Best pic to see it in is the last one. It's not easily seen in the first and the second is too blurry.

Edited by Trekker 42