UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

desperately seaking Susan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being an old-timer, I remember when this movie came out and EVEN then, I refused to go see it. However, I think it's cool that Madonna has a cigarette. I'm so sick of the anti-smoking freaks, I may buy one just for that! :lol:

Yeah, it seems like we get a disproportionate number of smoking Minimates with Starbuck, Kingpin, and Madonna. Where is DST's sense of civic duty? Don't you know that every other kid seeing this is going to say to him/herself: "damn that Madonna Minimate looks cool, maybe I'll try smoking, too!"

I suspect that this is the result of back-room deals between DST and RJ Reynolds execs.

Being an old-timer, I remember when this movie came out and EVEN then, I refused to go see it. However, I think it's cool that Madonna has a cigarette. I'm so sick of the anti-smoking freaks, I may buy one just for that! :lol:

Yeah, it seems like we get a disproportionate number of smoking Minimates with Starbuck, Kingpin, and Madonna. Where is DST's sense of civic duty? Don't you know that every other kid seeing this is going to say to him/herself: "damn that Madonna Minimate looks cool, maybe I'll try smoking, too!"

I suspect that this is the result of back-room deals between DST and RJ Reynolds execs.

Get into the Groove(sorry...had to)! Thank God they aren't being politically correct or we'd never see a Buffalo Bill minimate (Of course to the Public Health loonies, smoking is obviously worse than making a "Woman Skinsuit")

Seriously though, I think we should all buy this set just to show DC that their decision to end their line was a poor one.

Let's make Rosanna Arquette outsell Superman! ;)

You're an old timer? I knew Madonna before she was a virgin :biggrin: I know nothing of 'Desperately..' & little about smoking but there seems to be little wrong with Madonna's 'lungs' :P

[Thank God they aren't being politically correct or we'd never see a Buffalo Bill minimate (Of course to the Public Health loonies, smoking is obviously worse than making a "Woman Skinsuit")

yep cause every day people die from second hand serial killers.

It really does confuse me that DST continue to say these are marketed towards kids...

I mean Desperately Seeking Susan, I do not know any 7 year olds that even know who Maddona is , let alone this shitty 80s movie.

How many kids have seen silence of the lambs, or For a Few Dollars More, Platoon?

I think it is time to fess up DST this IS a collectors line.

and for what it is worth Chaz...smoking is a messed up habit I lost 2 grandparents due to lung cancer.

If you ever need a reason to give up the habit...watch someone in your family deteriorate and die from a bad habit.

[Thank God they aren't being politically correct or we'd never see a Buffalo Bill minimate (Of course to the Public Health loonies, smoking is obviously worse than making a "Woman Skinsuit")

It really does confuse me that DST continue to say these are marketed towards kids...

I mean Desperately Seeking Susan, I do not know any 7 year olds that even know who Maddona is , let alone this shitty 80s movie.

How many kids have seen silence of the lambs, or For a Few Dollars More, Platoon?

and for what it is worth Chaz...smoking is a messed up habit I lost 2 grandparents due to lung cancer.

If you ever need a reason to give up the habit...watch someone in your family deteriorate and die from a bad habit.

MOC, I agree totally with your comments about Minimates being a collectors line,an adult collectors line. Why else would there be' Platoon' (gang-rape,violence),'SOTL' (serial-rape,murder),24(serial-violence,torture),'Few Dollars,Fistful'(rape,murder,violence), 'Desperately SS' (serial-shite),et ad nauseum. However Minimates will no longer be sold in Europe because nobody will stump-up the 'Child's toy certification' costs......its bollocks.

My father died 2 years ago from emphysema which he himself knew was the result of 70 years of smoking.His dying wish would have been to have one last cigarette. I have never smoked. My older sister never smoked or drank more than the occasional glass of wine ....she died 10 years ago. Smoking is not a good idea but am I,was I,influenced by Popeye,Bogart, Howard the Duck,John Wayne,Ben Grimm,Sgt.Fury,Winston Churchill ,Groucho Marx etc.etc.etc. .....smoking? Of course not. I also see your point, MOC ,about 'passive smoking',it kills people. The symbolism of a Minimate holding a roll of tobacco is IMO not going to unduly influence anybody to start smoking. If it were, then the recent Minimate Thor Variant perhaps should have had a warning on the packet...'May induce facial-hair,thunderstorms & mis-pronunciation of Mjolnir'.

Smoking kills . Passive smoking kills. Smoking however is now outlawed in public ,so if you want to smoke in private...smoke! Minimates do not kill.

Edited by buttheadsmate

not that i condone smoking, i personally find it a disgusting habit, but i find it funny that we have the kingpin MM with cigar and we see him what 50/50 percent of the time in the comics with one, the thing with a cigar and we almost never see him with one, starbuck with cigar and we've seen this once maybe twice over the course of 3+ seasons, yet Doc cottle who smokes like a chimney doesn't come with a cigarette?

And the preachfest begins! :down:

Dinobot will be happy to see the sculpted boobs.

Hey now! Wait just a-- yeah okay.

Personally I see nothing wrong with smoking. If you wana smoke, be my guest. If you don't want to, thats fine. But I don't see why you should force someone to not smoke. I don't mind being around smokers, so I'm not gona complain. I've got a brother that smokes 2 packs a day, and a grandmother that smokes a pack. And that's fine. good for them for standing out from the crowd.

And here's something to think about. The death rate in the country is 100%. In fact, i'd venture to guess that the death rate in all countries in 100%. Why? I don't know, i think it has something to do with the fact that we all die. No big deal, it just happens. I'd say what happens after you die is a teency weency bit more important than the actual dying part actually. But whatever. The point is we all die, so saying "smoking kills" is stupid. Of course it kills. Breathing eventually kills you. Not breathing will kill you quicker.

But anyways, Minimates are denfinitly not a children's action figure line. If they were, they'd still be sold at Target, WM and TRU. But they're not. And think about this. Kingpin, Thing, Starbuck, and Modonna come with cigars or the ilk, Loki and Cain come with booze. Bullseye, Blade Taskmaster, Elektra, Cable, Bishop, Punisher, Silver Sable, They all come with guns and/or knives, with which they use to kill people. So, yeah, minimates are anything but pc (I like that) and they are not meant for kids.

Well, no one will ever agree on the smoking subject so I say we go back to the sculpted boobs subject:

At this point, I don't think I want them, it would just make all the females I have already look flat chested. They are block figures after all. I wasn't a big fan of Smart Hulk and Abomination having pecs either.

And the preachfest begins! :down:

cough * douche bag * cough :yes:

Nasty cough you've got there MOC, must be all that damn second hand smoke,

i know it does the same thing to me...

cough *Chazwinski* cough *Douche Bag* cough B)

You girls need to be carefull you might catch a bystander with all that handbag swinging.... :P

Seriously though guys, is there any need for the name calling?

T.