UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate panel at NYCC

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like thats the last of what TNI had, no pictures sadly.

The FA Avengers will be a nice addition to the collection. I would have prefered modern versions of Yellowjacket, Ant Man, and Wasp, but I'll take what I can get. As far as Gold Iron Man, I've wanted one since the FA Silver was released a few years back, so it's very good news.

Possibilities of Stiltman is nice, I don't care for him personally, but whenever we get really obscure guys like Stiltman, Gamora, or Spymaster, it means that menial characters that I like are a possibility at some point. (Holding out for Spider-Ham and Captain Americat.)

The big news for me has to be Heroes though. I love that show, and wanted some merchandise, but I stopped collecting 6" action figures, and the Mezco figures have very little articulation anyway. Hope these come to pass. I really want to see Peter from season 2, D.L., Hiro, and Claire.

YES! More classic avengers =) Its great to hear that more focus will be put on Marvel Minimates too.

im actually kinda psyched to see a wasp & ant-man. also HERO-MATES OMG!

Interesting news so far...

Coming up are Jack Kirby Hulk, classic Avengers Wasp, Ant-Man and Giant-Man and Gold Iron Man with hammer arm accessory

This sounds like good news to me.I guess I wont have to make that custom Giant-Man that I was thinking of doing.:)

Now we just need pictures. :biggrin:

Star Wars and Indiana Jones have been persued as licenses, but it's unlikely George Lucas will grant it due to his prior relationship with Lego, which has a similar style of figure.

Diamond has approached Microsoft about making Halo Minimates, but Microsoft already has a contract with Kubriks in Japan and were concerned about the similarities in the product, so they declined.

Well...that's sad news to hear, but reasonable.:(

TRU will most likely be carrying the line next year.

This is very good news for collectors and DST since it will be easier for collectors and the casual buyer alike, and DST will be able to reach a bigger (also kid friendly) market by selling them a TRU stores.

There will be some box set exclusives for the SDCC, though what they will be won't be revealed today.

Can't wait to see these. :D

Marvel has put a moritorium on any further Marvel Zombie merchandise of any kind. Marvel was concerned about the negative image seeing their major characters would have on the public so they pulled the plug on any further Zombie products.

I'm not a fan of the Marvel Zombies (though they were really detailed) and I do see why they're doing this, what I don't understand is why would they make Desperately Seeking Susan minimates if they're trying to aim at kids?

Can't wait to see more news and pics! :)

what I don't understand is why would they make Desperately Seeking Susan minimates if they're trying to aim at kids?

Can't wait to see more news and pics! :)

My theory is that when they do begin to sell them in the stores TRU is going to to review and make sure that they are "appropriate" for the mass market. They don't want alot of angry soccer moms writing letters complaining that DSS Mates made their kids start smoking. DSS Mates aren't being currently sold in a typical family store and you also kind of have to think, if you owned a comic store right now and you felt like they were inappropriate you just wouldn't buy them to stock in your store. On the same note, if some parent came into your store and told you they thought they were offensive you would have the option of telling where to stick it. In order to make them marketable to kids I don't think we will ever see another cigar smoking, drinking minimates.

Hot Dang! Heroes, heck yeah!

And a great line-up of Avengers. Think of all the variant possibilities Wasp brings to the game. ;) So, umm... what does "FA" stand for in FA Avengers?

Thanks to all who gathered this news in: Avenger, Reideen, minimadman.

And a great line-up of Avengers. Think of all the variant possibilities Wasp brings to the game. ;) So, umm... what does "FA" stand for in FA Avengers?

Thanks to all who gathered this news in: Avenger, Reideen, minimadman.

"First Appearance" maybe?

And yeah, it'll be interesting to see what Wasp and Ant Man bring to the table.

And I second the thanks to our roaming reporters.

I just about fell out of my chair when I read that Heroes bit. I was thinking about picking up the Mezco line when they announced the line-up for series 2 but now, hopefully, I'll be able to get me Heroes toy fix in Minimate form. Awesome to the max!

Target is now selling Superhero Squad and feels their small PVC toy needs are met, though Diamond in actively pursing getting Minimates back in there.

Someone needs to choke Target to death with their own balls.

"Sorry, we aren't interested in carrying your style of figures any more,"

"Sorry, we can't carry you cause we picked up a line just like you,"

well, there's some logic in that second one, TM2.

also, Heroes AND Classic Avengers! woot woot. finally, wasp and ant-man! [EDIT: no yellowjacket :( ] they're among those whose looks haven't changed all that much or gotten dated, so that's awesome. also, gold classic iron man!

EDIT: toynewsi had some concept art pics up.

img7718scaled600gr4.th.jpgimg7719scaled600xn4.th.jpgimg7720scaled600zk6.th.jpgimg7717scaled600sz8.th.jpgimg7721scaled600hh3.th.jpg

if these are sold as 2-packs, it'd make sense for ant-man or giant-man to be the variant. but they seem to be missing a character or two for the numbers to be right; maybe this'll be a boxed set. i'm not too thrilled at another hulk but he does look really good; gold iron man might just fill my need for the classic armor . wasp looks nice; i'll just give her some regular hair and we're off to the races!

Edited by lastmaximal

I think Ant-Man and Giant-Man are actually the same figure with an interchangeable helmet and chest piece. That may very well yet be a box set, though you do need Thor and Captain America (both available)

I gotta say, I'm surprised with how much they revealed at the NYCC. I expected them to just show what the Hulk minimates were gonna be and leave it at that (which they didn't even do).

Can't wait for FA Avengers and Heroes, though. Now I can't wait to see some actual figures. They didn't give any dates on any of the new figs, right?

This is good news for Saturday morning! I've been wanting a Wasp, Ant Man and Giant Man for quite awhile. Gold Iron Man is cool. Another Hulk ... whatever. I guess the only other FA Avenger is Thor, but his appearance didn't change much over the years, so it would be a waste of plastic.

Heroes mates ... ah, life is good.

Thanks for the information!

Hey guys,

Sorry I didn't get the PM until this morning... Minimate panel was a blast, though.

One of the audience members suggested not only some First Appearance Kirby-styled X-Men #1 pieces, but there was also a suggestion of doing some add'l movie Minimates (Breakfast Club, maybe?) This triggered some back and forth, and I tossed in "Weird Science" as something I'd personally like to see. Anyway, Silver Screen 2-packs came up from the audience, and I think a Casablance set would be brilliant, particularly if done black and white or sepia toned.

Obviously this was just a fun Q&A, but I could definitely picture 'em!

Hope everyone's doing well!

Matt

aka Iron-Cow

FA means something quite different in the UK! As for First Appearance Avengers.....F**k**g Amazing ,I am absolutely thrilled we're getting these. I'm looking forward to the Civil War set but these will be ...I'm actually struggling for superlatives...bloody brilliant. I loved tha AF Spider-man incarnation recently & now these.... These were 'my' Avengers way back before most of you lot were 'glints in your dad's eyes'. One thing that would be interesting to know is what size the Pyms will be. I know the answer but wouldn't it be amazing if they were smaller,even half -size. It won't happen though will it ? I really can't wait for these . Heroes? Great show but I wonder how well more 'civilian' 'mates will do. The size of 'mates dictates that they need an uniform or costume to be instantly recognisable & therefore sell, I am not sure the 'Heroes' characters have that capability, I hope so.post-638-1208614587_thumb.jpg

These were 'my' Avengers way back before most of you lot were 'glints in your dad's eyes'.

I know, right? They've been giving us current characters and classic characters, but seem to be studiously avoiding anything that happened during the 90's.

Why do you hate 30-year-olds, DST?

j/k :P

I'll be happy to get my hands on all of these.

well there goes another batch of customs made obsolete

I woudn't say that at all. Your customs have a 3" scaled Hulk, along with super tiny Ant Man and Wasp. All of the figures in the boxed set would be the standard 2" sculpts, so just add them to your customs as relaxed "non-scaled" versions?

Oooh... I'm liking that version of Hulk. I know we've had several Hulks already, but they seem to finally be truly capturing the character in 'Mate format (yes, big feet and all). It should a piece of cake to swap out for ripped-pants pelvis and legs to get a more modern Hulk.