UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 23

While I know this is still months away from hitting the shelves I was wondering why Gamora was selected over Annihilus. Not complaining about the selection but I would have thought that since Annihilus was the central antagonist in last years Annilation series he would have been created to go along with another character that we don't have in our collection (aka Nova).

Also how big of a character was spymaster, because when I went to marvel there was only a small paragragh about his role in the MU?

I think Gamora was selected because she has had a more lasting role in the cosmic universe, with her involvement in Annihilation, Conquest, Nova, and the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. Budget may have also been an issue, since they only get a certain allotment each wave, and Annihilus would have warranted more sculpts possibly.

As far as Spymaster is concerned, he was an Iron Man villain and fairly prominent around the era that they're capturing with the War Machine mate, so his inclusion was a good choice. Plus, he needs very little in special parts, making him a no brainer in a wave featuring a heavy amount of parts.

I gotta say, personally I'm not too excited about wave 23. I know nothing about Nova and Gamora. They just look like super sci-fi characters and I'm normally not into those comics. Warmachine seems okay, but again, who is Spymaster? A seemingly random selection, when characters like Yellowjacket aren't made yet. In fact, that combo would have worked a lot better, since they're both in Avengers: The Initiative and that seems to be selling pretty well. The only characters I'm kind of interested in are Cloak and Dagger, and that's because they've started putting these characters back into the mainstream MU. While they don't have a series they regularly appear in, they've been in a couple runs of Runaways and the past couple main events (ie. House of M, Civil War,...).

And that's my little rant on Wave 23, hah.

Warmachine seems okay, but again, who is Spymaster? A seemingly random selection, when characters like Yellowjacket aren't made yet. In fact, that combo would have worked a lot better, since they're both in Avengers: The Initiative and that seems to be selling pretty well.

re: Spymaster... He is the perfect pairing for those two War machines, he was the villain in the issues those WarMachine suits debuted.

http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/index.ph...ost&p=63234

Also he's a nice 'no new parts' figure that allows them to do nice partsy figures in the set.

T.

partsy (par-tzee)

1. adj. used to describe a Minimate with a pleasing number of auxilliary sculpted accessories; having more than the standard compliment of hairpiece, weapon and/or cape.

Those new Iron Man mates sure are partsy.

2. n. the ceremonial low, scraping bow performed when Chuck enters the room.

Matt, when Chuck find out you let the wave 24 lineup slip, you better partsy like your job depends on it!

I gotta say, personally I'm not too excited about wave 23.

I am actually with you on this one. I don't have problems with the wave, b/c I know a lot of fanboys (and girls) like those particular characters. Personally, though, I don't like them, I don't think they look very good generally, I never liked the New Warriors or Cloak and Dagger back when I read comics in the early 90s, and so, I am only really psyched about War Machine.

partsy (par-tzee)

1. adj. used to describe a Minimate with a pleasing number of auxilliary sculpted accessories; having more than the standard compliment of hairpiece, weapon and/or cape.

Matt, when Chuck find out you let the wave 24 lineup slip, you better partsy like your job depends on it!

One part potato,two parts swede,3 parts minced lamb or beef, & a n'onion baked in pastry. Cornish Partsy :biggrin:

partsy (par-tzee)

:) I laughed out loud when I read this... The sad part is it was typed while I was talking to a client on the phone and I didn't realize I'd made up a word.

If should be an official MMV word from here on in though.

T.

I just noticed that there hasn't been a wolverine or spiderman figure in a wave since wave 17 and 18 (Spiderman) and 14 for wolverine. Maybe they are going to listen to all of the people complaining about those two flagship characters being made all the time. I personally think they just need to make a spiderman and wolverine box set (spiderman being one of my all time favorite characters). Put the adamantium skeleton variant for wolverine, a cosmic spiderman, spider-ham, a nwe symbiote spiderman and maybe a few others.

I just noticed that there hasn't been a wolverine or spiderman figure in a wave since wave 17 and 18 (Spiderman) and 14 for wolverine. Maybe they are going to listen to all of the people complaining about those two flagship characters being made all the time. I personally think they just need to make a spiderman and wolverine box set (spiderman being one of my all time favorite characters). Put the adamantium skeleton variant for wolverine, a cosmic spiderman, spider-ham, a nwe symbiote spiderman and maybe a few others.

Erm there was a spidey in the last two waves that were just released and the two before were spiderman waves!

I think that DST is realising that the collectors market is different from mass and that they can be more varied with choices.

Of course I'm sure Chuck and Co. will continue to slip as many versions of these figs in when they fit the theme ofthe wave.

T.

Don't forget the recent releases of Scarlet Spider, Zombie Spider-Man, and Zombie Wolverine, not to mention the upcoming Civil War Spider-Man. I think the more varied assortment allows them to be more selective when releasing a Spider/Wolvie variant instead of having to use them as a central theme for each wave.

Of course, one could argue that with the recent appearance of "Torment" Spider-Man and "Amazing Fantasy" Spider-Man means that the variant pool is starting to get empty.

Don't forget the recent releases of Scarlet Spider, Zombie Spider-Man, and Zombie Wolverine, not to mention the upcoming Civil War Spider-Man. I think the more varied assortment allows them to be more selective when releasing a Spider/Wolvie variant instead of having to use them as a central theme for each wave.

Of course, one could argue that with the recent appearance of "Torment" Spider-Man and "Amazing Fantasy" Spider-Man means that the variant pool is starting to get empty.

''Amazing Fantasy'' Spider-Man is for me an instant classic & well worth the effort despite the myriad of Spideys we already had.

Quiet you! Don't give them any ideas!

[Puts Chloroform napkin to Marvel Zombies face.]

''Amazing Fantasy'' Spider-Man is for me an instant classic & well worth the effort despite the myriad of Spideys we already had.

I agree. I had him in my pocket all day! :D

I wasn't saying AF Spidey was a bad variant, I was just saying that some would argue that artist specific variants are a bottom-of-the-barrel approach to variants. First appearances are iconic and I'd say that AF Spidey is the benchmark in the modern Minimate day Spidey.

I wasn't saying AF Spidey was a bad variant, I was just saying that some would argue that artist specific variants are a bottom-of-the-barrel approach to variants. First appearances are iconic and I'd say that AF Spidey is the benchmark in the modern Minimate day Spidey.

I have actually wanted people to say 'nice things' about AF Spidey for ages. I took the opportunity today because no -one else seemed to have taken to him like I have. 'Retro ' is such a shite word but he's so .....retro.....so flippin' 'Kirby'.Love it.

I have actually wanted people to say 'nice things' about AF Spidey for ages. I took the opportunity today because no -one else seemed to have taken to him like I have. 'Retro ' is such a shite word but he's so .....retro.....so flippin' 'Kirby'.Love it.

He is actually my favorite figure from that wave, and is my second favorite Spidey (following the wave 2 Spidey, of course).

Just gt the set and I must say that AF spidey is the best spidey ever. In fact, I have a box of minimates I use with one of each character in it and I have the box of minis that are variants of a type of character. I have now officially removed Series 2 Spidey from that use box and replaced him with AF spidey. It was a momentous occasion.

Just gt the set and I must say that AF spidey is the best spidey ever. In fact, I have a box of minimates I use with one of each character in it and I have the box of minis that are variants of a type of character. I have now officially removed Series 2 Spidey from that use box and replaced him with AF spidey. It was a momentous occasion.

I only started getting minimates a few months ago and spent a lot of money on e-bay getting as many A-list characters that I missed as possible. I was glad for the AF Spidey coming out because I didn't have to dish out extra money for the Series 2 Spidey. He's my best version as well...My other Spidey's were battle-damaged because they just came with the Sandman and Spider-Woman I bought.