UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Brewer talks about DCD...minimates mentioned

minijeff

Over at Newsarama there is an interview with Georg Brewer, about the year in review for DCD and whats to come. No reveals as far as minimates, but here is what was said in reguards to them:

NRAMA: 2007 also seems to have been a good year for the Minimates program; what have you learned there? Does it curtail any thoughts of a more realistic line of small figures?

Brewer: Creatively Minimates has been a fun line to work on, and the mix of character choices has had some nice surprises. It would have been good had they performed at bit better, but their holding their own. To me these have little to do with a realistic line of small-scale figures, as I’m not convinced they would hit all of the same collectors. We have in fact developed prototypes of a 4” figure line, so you never know.

just passing it along...god to hear what the top brass have to say.

Jeff of the Minis

looking at the current release timeframe I have a feeling we will be seeing a new wave announced pretty soon....probably at or right around Toy Fair next month....man I cant believe it is almost that time of year again!

Jeff of the Minis

I don't think we'll have to wait until February. If I'm figuring this out right, Wave 9 of the DC Minimates will be released Sept. 2008. Which means they'll be in the April solicitations, which should be posted in next week or so.

I could be wrong, though - this is just a guess.

I don't think we'll have to wait until February. If I'm figuring this out right, Wave 9 of the DC Minimates will be released Sept. 2008. Which means they'll be in the April solicitations, which should be posted in next week or so.

I could be wrong, though - this is just a guess.

This is kinda what I am thinking too...I think we will have the line up before Toy Fair

Jeff of the Minis

"Brewer: Creatively Minimates has been a fun line to work on, and the mix of character choices has had some nice surprises. It would have been good had they performed at bit better, but their holding their own"

See I see that as a negative. would have been good had they performed better....never a good sign

maybe I am still in denial over marvel minimates...

See I see that as a negative. would have been good had they performed better....never a good sign

maybe I am still in denial over marvel minimates...

I was thinking the same thing, as are many people on some of the other toy-related message boards I've been trolling lately. But I don't see them pulling the plug on the line just yet. We may just see some adjusted numbers to how many are being produced.

As far as Marvel though, I'm still strongly supporting the idea that they aren't dead. There just isn't any news about it anywhere. If the line was dying, wouldn't there be more information out there than one blog posting and one supposed DST insider? But that's a discussion for another thread.

Thanks Jim!

The "performing a bit better" comment lends me to wonder if the newer DC waves will have a slightly more economical design. Maybe cut back on the new sculps and stick with three waves per year. I don't think DCD ever said Pocket Heroes were "holding their own" so this sounds positive to me. And my understanding is DCD is using the Pocket Heroes budget to fund Minimates.

My hope though is the "holding their own" will result in more waves per year. Please DCD! At least give us a fourth wave in December!

Thanks indeed. Welcome to the forum Jim.

Cool place. I got a bit hooked on Minimates after initially resisting them. Now I find that Resistance is Futile :lol:

I'm limiting myself to DC and Marvel Zombies for now.

I'd also be curious to know what everyone thinks of GB's mention of prototyping a new 4" line of DC figures.

Jim!

I'd also be curious to know what everyone thinks of GB's mention of prototyping a new 4" line of DC figures.

I'm curious about them. Hasbro seems to be pushing the action figure market towards the 3 3/4" sizes (especially with the rumored Marvel line this summer), so the thought of smaller DC figures that would fit with GI Joe, Star Wars & Marvel really appeals to me, and possibly be a great new market for DC Direct.

The drawback is it's from DC Direct, which means poor articulation. And no matter what, I'd still rather have an extra wave of Minimates each year then 4" figures.

Welcome to the forum, Jim. I enjoy reading your column.

Jim!

If it's a choice between 4" DC figures or more DC minimates, I'll take more minimates please.

Minimates are the 1st product from DCD that has had a somewhat consistent scale. (Yes Mr PL, I know, Bane shouldn't be 2.5"....) I'd hate to see 'mates abandoned in favor of a 4" line that'll have inconsistencies after the 1st couple of waves. Not to mention my obvious bias toward minimates. :D

Weren't Pocket Heroes 3 or 4 inches?

*shudders*

What's wrong with Pocket Heroes. I liked the Pocket Heroes. They were fun for me. Plus they had BLACK MANTA!

Pocket Heroes was a nice homage to the MEGO line. Pocket Heroes was MEGO's attempt at competing with the original Star Wars toys.