UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Vehicles Axed?

The vehicles were shown (never solicited) when AA was running the show BSG wise. DST then stepped in as partners and everything changed. DST have told us to "forget everything we saw when AA were running things"

So basically all of the classic lines and the vehicles are presently in limbo.

I hear you. I'm not too hapy about the change either, but I can understand the logic behind it.

AA simply doesn't have the resources to continue to produce lines on their own. They work best as a design house - they design the product and other companies (DST, DCD) handle the manufacture and distribution of said property. I've said for years that this is how AA should operate and I'm actually happy to see them going in this direction. AA has some talented folks working for them (Robert Yee being one that I've known for a while) and getting production and distribution off their plates would free them up to work on lots of other things.

Is this simply "on-hold", or are there ACTUAL limitations on this line (like Marvel's "no vehicles" nonsense) due to specific contract restrictions with DST? Has there ever been an official statement regarding the limitations of this particular license that I may have missed? Matt? Anyone? If it is restricted, I'm sad to say that I may have to seriously reconsider continuing with this particular line of "mates" as I find the 1:12 scale line more appealing(for "modern"BSG, that is). The greatest appeal (to me personally) of these particular mates was the small-scale and prospect of them being able to pilot funky little ships around my computer-desk! Without these, much like a "Speed Racer" line without cars, I have little interest. Besides, what-the-Hell is Chief supposed to do?! Or "flight-suit" Starbuck, Apollo, etc. for that matter? "All dressed-up with NOWHERE to go"!!! These really should have been the FIRST things released for this line IMO.

P.S. And don't even get me STARTED on my disgust about the MIA "classic BSG" mates!!! LOL(and tears)

They're killing themselves here! This was going to be the highlight of the line (Six excluded), but they ruined it!! :angry: They couldn't have done anything worse... *Thinks this through*... Okay, I take that back.

Glomit

Is this simply "on-hold", or are there ACTUAL limitations on this line (like Marvel's "no vehicles" nonsense) due to specific contract restrictions with DST? Has there ever been an official statement regarding the limitations of this particular license that I may have missed? Matt? Anyone? If it is restricted, I'm sad to say that I may have to seriously reconsider continuing with this particular line of "mates" as I find the 1:12 scale line more appealing(for "modern"BSG, that is). The greatest appeal (to me personally) of these particular mates was the small-scale and prospect of them being able to pilot funky little ships around my computer-desk! Without these, much like a "Speed Racer" line without cars, I have little interest. Besides, what-the-Hell is Chief supposed to do?! Or "flight-suit" Starbuck, Apollo, etc. for that matter? "All dressed-up with NOWHERE to go"!!! These really should have been the FIRST things released for this line IMO.

P.S. And don't even get me STARTED on my disgust about the MIA "classic BSG" mates!!! LOL(and tears)

The only thing that's been officially said is (as Ady noted) "forget everything we saw when AA were running things" - beyond that, nothing specific has been said about the vehicles or classic lines.

While it would have been cool to get old school bsg, I am happier that they decided to focus on the new bsg. I mean would there be enough support for the classic line? It is similar to the discussion that is happening in the marvel forum when ever a movie license comes out, the classic comic book fans get up set because they see it as a set back for comic book based lines. It would be the same here classic BSG would push back production of the mates the majority of people want.

As for the vehicles I fear a repeat of what happened to C3.

If it were up to me, the core line would focus on the modern, ongoing series. I'd offer vehicles to retailers as exclusives. Classic BSG would be offered as a boxed set, maybe two depending on sales.

Then "Thank-the-Gods" it's not! Just kiddingLOL. While I agree that it is the current series that is generating all of the hype, I have to disagree about the vehicles (especially if you're referring to retailer-incentives like Starbuck, which I'm sure you're not. LOL I think I know what you mean). I believe that "vehicle asst.s" would have served better to draw collectors (especially those not already collecting MMs) INTO the line of BSG mates. Example: you make one impulsive purchase because it's a "neat lil' viper/raider with a block-figure"; shortly after, you find out that there are individual fig.s as well (Wow, gotta have that Adama, Six, Baltar, etc.). Next thing you know, your're a raging "mini-holic"!! I could go for the "classic BSG box-set" idea, but it would need to include a MINIMUM of 8 figures (Adama, Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer, Baltar, Cylon Centurian, Imperious Leader, and Lucifer) or 2 sets of 4 (Colonial Warriors Set and a Cylon Empire Set). I'd buy at least 2-3 sets (depending on whether they are in one or two sets)to swap body-parts so I could have Apollo, Starbuck and Boomer in Colonial Warrior AND Celebration gear and extra parts for custom Col. Tigh, another "bridge member" (maybe Athena), and a "gold" Lucifer. Hell, I might even buy more to make Sheba, Cassiopea, Jolly, etc. (all you need is to draw some boobs and swap heads...yeah, this works for Jolly too LOL!). However, we're back to the problem of vehicles for the "classic"BSG mates...maaaaybe a retailer exclusive (except with Starbuck or other "right-handed" character since Apollo is a "lefty" and has his holster on the opposite side...not good for other customs IMO); I'd probably buy at least 3-6 of each (Viper and Raider). You could also have an "Exclusive 2-pack" of some sort with "Muffit and Boxey"("shrunken" like DC Penguin). Regardless, I just need some vehicles and "hopefully" some Classic BSG too!! C'mon DST, honor an aging-man's wish (I can't wait forever).

See, I'm just not sure that a building set would be the thing to lure in new customers. C3 is still a bad taste in some of the higher-ups mouths. Granted, we aren't talking huge sets like the Batcave, but still, it could cause some hesitation. I do think the occassional vehicle might be a good thing, so long as it is cost effective for the line. Who knows, the availability of minimates that aren't burdened with building sets could be what it takes to keep a C3-like line going. An interesting thought though, is that if the availability is out there, there may be a market for these. After all, Speed Racer is progressing into a second wave while the Street Fighter line is floundering at the moment.

As for the classic line, I think it would work a lot better as one or two boxed sets, as MPL said above. As many people that remember the classic show, there are many more that just missed that boat. I'd much rather see anything from the classic show released in a couple of one-shots as opposed to seeing an entire line bogging down production on other things I'm more familiar with.

We might just have to start building ships out of Legos and the like. At least that way they would be in continuity with the C3 stuff... and a reason for the little holes in the feet.

From the latest Q/A:

Why are the BSG Mini-flyers only possible as of right now? I love the idea of the figure/ship combo. I can't even imagine how cool a fleet of Vipers and Raiders would be.

DSTChuck: AA showed them to the buyers for a couple years and their was not a great deal of interest.

• 2 years later...

Committing some thread necromancy here.

I just started collecting Galactica MiniMates and I stumbled across some pics (didn't see them anywhere else on the forums).

These things are so damn cool and they even look like they're ready to go into production. But I guess there just isn't the demand for BSG minimates. Even Series 5 and 6 was canceled. Does anyone know why BSG minimate sales are so dismal?

artasylumDSC04818.jpg

artasylumDSC04833.jpg

artasylumDSC04827.jpg

artasylumDSC04828.jpg

artasylumDSC04830.jpg

artasylumDSC04832.jpg