UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Transformers Thread

Alpheon

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh maaaaaaaaan!!!

It's the Devastator my Classics collection desperately needs.

But it's still $60 a Con.

Blast it all.

I was just sayin' what I saw in early estimates. Those were enough to get me to give up on them.

Yeah, the price is beyond insane for this thing. But with it's size and awesomeness, it will likely be the centerpiece in many collectors' Transformers collection.

Edited by karamazov80

Oh I wish I could afford it. It represents the Devastator that we thought we were getting when we were kids and bought into the Sunbow/Marvel designed hype. Instead we got a small, shaky, fragile toy with the possibility of a brick. So in a way, it's not unlike Masterpiece Prime. Unfortunatly, unlike Prime I can't afford this one. :sad:

I was genuinely angry when I saw this in the store, and realized it was what Hasbro was trying to pass off as a "Classics" Devastator:

classicsdev2.jpg

Ugh. I really wish Has/Tak would just give the G1 fans more of what we wanted, and made all these 3rd party companies unnecessary. BUT. . .they won't (with some notable exceptions), so they are.

Edited by karamazov80

Dude, you DO realize Scrapper is already out, and he's $100, right? That thing is going to be at least $500 when all is said and done.

Actually KA, I like that Devvy. I am a huge fan of the Energon molds, not a fan of G1, so it was perfect for me. I can't believe how expensive this Classics stuff has gotten. Nor how the 3rd party market has exploded. It's both nice and frightening. I wish I could get in on it.

$600. There are, or at least should be, 6 Constructicons. Which is why the Energon/Classics release didn't work for me. Not saying I hated the Energon Mold in general, they worked for Bruticus (mostly) and Superion. But Devastator was not a "Scramble City" style combiner. And that's what bugged me the most about the energon mold and why I passed on it both times.

Oddly, I liked the RiD/Car Robots Build King/Landfill mold better in original Constructicon colors. Yeah it's only four guys, but like the original it's such a non-standard combination scheme that I dig it, and it's serving as my Classics Devastator.

Actually KA, I like that Devvy. I am a huge fan of the Energon molds, not a fan of G1, so it was perfect for me. I can't believe how expensive this Classics stuff has gotten. Nor how the 3rd party market has exploded. It's both nice and frightening. I wish I could get in on it.

I'm obviously a G1 snob who keeps my head in the sand about non-G1-type-stuff, so I didn't know he was supposed to look like another version of Devastator, and I'm glad to hear that he actually looks like some other, existing form of Devy anyway. But he's still fugly IMO. :D

The 3rd party stuff has really reinvigorated my interest in Transformers, though I wish they weren't so damn pricey. Though Hot Toys figures are expensive, they feel like they're worth it.

I'm obviously a G1 snob who keeps my head in the sand about non-G1-type-stuff, so I didn't know he was supposed to look like another version of Devastator, and I'm glad to hear that he actually looks like some other, existing form of Devy anyway. But he's still fugly IMO. :D

The 3rd party stuff has really reinvigorated my interest in Transformers, though I wish they weren't so damn pricey. Though Hot Toys figures are expensive, they feel like they're worth it.

I'm the same way K80. I really want to start getting some classics and 3rd party stuff but just having a hard time spending the money. I recently sold my MP Prime because he's just so freaking huge. Yet I can't find myself pulling the trigger on the Faith Leader. I really REALLY like the classics Wheeljack and thundercracker...those look great. If I had time I'd consider customizing 2 thundercrackers into starscream and skywarp so they are all in scale. I really want to get a rodimus if/when they start showing up at TRU. I recently sold my Grimlock MP and starting to regret it.

Saw it and passed, cause without the trailer it's just Masterpiece Hot Rod. I have an Alternators Hot Rod that fills that role fine. Saw the Shortpacked/Walkie guys using it as a 3H Wreckers display, but I'd rather use that money to hunt down a "reasonably" priced Grapple, Windcharager, and Lugnut. (missed them in the discount stores,sigh.)

Missed MP Grimlock retail by half a day, they arrived in the morning and were gone by lunch. Heard that the Cary TRU got second case, but missed it completely too. (man... I've had lousy hunt luck on Transformers this past year)

FYI, the Amazon exclusive Unicron is currently up on their website. Apparently it's a popular figure or whatever.

If you buy, go through affiliate link at the bottom of the page to help fund the MMMV!

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure. I don't think MP Optimus, Megs, Starscream, or Grimlock look generic. For the most part, they look like the old toys should have, if technology had allowed it. But YMMV.

Edited by karamazov80

The complete "Hercules":

8271cf6egw1dl0i20qlnmj_1315653735.jpg

Hercules-2_1315676636.jpg

Pretty bad-ass, IMO. Will look forward to having that mofo on my display.

And iGear released pics of a forthcoming seeker, "Lightning". . .

iGear-Lightning_1315592086.jpg

I know these 3rd party guys necessarily infringe on Has/Tak's intellectual property because they are based on legit. TF designs, but this is the first figure that really made me wonder if it is acceptable to me or not. Even Faith Leader (small MP Prime) is significantly different from the MP version due to size. This is the same size, same character Takara/Tomy released, just slightly different paint apps and some leg mods.

Not sure if I'll go after it or not. Still on the fence about the coneheads. $400+ for the 3 is tough for me to justify, though it would make for an impressive display, no doubt.

I personally have no loyalty, and the only reason I don't buy KOs is because of poor quality. If it's good enough though, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. They already announced on their FB page that they're doing Skywarp, which just made me roll my eyes. They'll loose money so bad on that one, if Hasbro couldn't move them at $30 here.

I saw that Exgraver in person today. He's HUGE. Devastator is going to be SICK. Unicron sized, for sure.

Also, if you missed it in the haul thread, I got Botcon Moonracer. XD

Yeah, I don't completely get Skywarp. I guess the "anime" colors will be slightly different, and the legs will be a different mold (where he doesn't have the "kibble" that the official ones do). But when you can easily find Hasbro Skywarp for less than $50. . .for their sake, I hope they aren't producing that many of them. Even official Starscreams don't go for much more than they're asking for these figures. But, I'm a huge Starscream mark, so if he's more gray and has some other color changes I'll probably pick that one up.

I saw the "Masterpiece" Rodimus last night. Just my opinion, but he looks kinda junky! Are the other Masterpiece figures that generic looking? I've never seen them in person...

The other G1 MP figures were designed with three ideas in mind- A robot mode that looked like the Marvel/Sunbow animation, a lot of articulation in robot mode, and a realistic looking vehicle mode. Now with Grimlock and Hot Rodimus, the vehicle/alt. mode too looked like the Marvel design. And then there's the tons of extra's and accessories. Screamer came with a litle Dr. Arkeville, Optimus his wrist axe and flip up comunicators, Grimlock came with a little serving tray, his mind transfer helmet, even the crown he wore as supreme Autobot leader in the Marvel comics. Rodimus can be changed from Hot Rod to Rodimus in robot mode. The Japanese version came with a trailer that allowed you to change him from his two forms in vehicle mode as well, but Hasbro decided the trailer was to costly to import, so they compensated by including Firebolt. Like K80 said, these were the toys you thought you had in your imagination when you were playing with the amazingly brick like originals.

As far as lightning is concerned... I think IGear is pushing their luck. Hasbro has been remarkably tolerant of the 3rd party guys, as long as they were sticking to things that Hasbro didn't feel they could reasonably produce, like trailers, accesories, or fancy combiner limbs, even that Hercules that Hasbro could not possibly produce and make money on. But this is different. This may actually bring the Hasbro hammer down, and that's gonna be ugly for everybody.

That's precisely my fear. Folks are arguing that there's no real chance Hasbro would want to produce an MP Thundercracker, and the Takara/Tomy version has been sold out, so there's no harm of cutting into Has/Tak's profits. But I don't know that. And even if there was no real chance of that, it's the closest approximation of a straight knock-off yet, despite the differences IMO. When I first joined TFW in '07, it seemed like Hasbro really didn't tolerate any of this kind of thing. But now, they're allowing it and companies are popping up left and right producing awesome stuff. I think it does benefit Hasbro on the whole because it encourages folks who otherwise wouldn't be to be interested in Transformers, to buy legit products that the 3rd partiers provide accessories for, etc. But I don't know if the benefit is that substantial. And if they do push it too far, then Has/Tak could push back and shut it all down. And that would suck.