UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bronze Meddling Wave 6: Villains for Hire [pg12]

elhonez

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I've been dong vehicles, I tend to fill out sheets with vehicle stickers to use later, if I don't have a full sheet.

Lately I've been 3d printing my customs and I usually make 3 and then pick the best one. I make a few duplicate stickers in case I screw something up. And still I feel like I waste some sticker paper.

I have to remind myself sometimes that I can afford to use a whole sheet for one custom if I want. I don't really need to treat it as preciously as I do but it's good not to be wasteful.

Edited by cylonchaney

8 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

Since I've been dong vehicles, I tend to fill out sheets with vehicle stickers to use later, if I don't have a full sheet.

Lately I've been 3d printing my customs and I usually make 3 and then pick the best one. I make a few duplicate stickers in case I screw something up. And still I feel like I waste some sticker paper.

I have to remind myself sometimes that I can afford to use a whole sheet for one custom if I want. I don't really need to treat it as preciously as I do but it's good not to be wasteful.

I like that philosophy, and I think if I'm honest with myself, I just like the idea of being able to drop a lot of new customs at once. The character list requiring decals has expanded to 40, but I'm already 7 into them, so that's a positive sign.

10 hours ago, Kotter Comics said:

Or, and hear me out, you could do something akin to Luke's custom offerings and print a whole sticker sheet worth of decals for the same character and either sell them as "do it yourself applications" or complete them as full custom figures for sale.

I'm thinking about providing the art sheet free of charge to folks who want to print their own when all is said and done. I lack the parts (and frankly the patience) to make multiples, and I wouldn't feel right about charging for my novice art. Plus a key Luke differentiator/innovation in his last batch was pre-cut sticker sheets, which is definitely something I'm happy paying for, but lack the logistics to deliver.

Also, my stuff is... super niche. I will wager that even the most diehard Marvel fans will get to learn about characters they've never heard of before as I slowly knock these out.

EDIT: I re-read your comment and now understand you were suggesting printing multiples of the same character -- I think that's a good idea! But I'll probably stay committed to this "big batch" idea since I'm 25% through it. Even though I say I've completed 7, there are also pre-existing decals from older customs on my main sheet which counts for another handful. So, maybe there will be some takers when I offer up a PDF at the end of all of this.

Edited by elhonez
my lack of comprehension

On 6/28/2023 at 1:07 AM, elhonez said:

53007711848_5d000a622f_b.jpg

Awesome set, I am wishing they would have made tis set as they are cool and have some nice details. I would certainly buy a set of these as I like Western figures.

Thanks!

I agree, I would definitely pick up a Marvel Western set. It wouldn't require any new tooling either, although I'm sure they could improve on/refine the existing cowboy hat options. 

Another thought: I wasn't able to be this ambitious for this "release," but I did start thinking about how I might incorporate Venger's horse into a custom. 

Edited by elhonez

Man, that is one of my biggest wants right now. Cowboy hats. Just a couple of different styles (Wide flat Tombstone style, Curved Lone Ranger Style). I've tried for years to find someone to 3d print minimate size cowboy hats that i could buy some bulk in for customs. The good existing hats are locked behind paywalls for the Dollar Trilogy sets mostly unless im missing some other good options. 

Great job elhonez! I'd buy that set or any western themed sets in a heartbeat like many others.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:48 AM, buttheadsmate said:

I'm no expert but I have had a good experience  (years ago) with a Lego Wehrmacht helmet ....it fitted a Minimate head no problem . Just a suggestion .

Google 'Lego cowboy hats' ,there seems to be plenty of choice. 

-cowboyhatsmate

I would love it if it were that easy but if Im not completely mistaken....I don't think Lego hats or hair fit on Minimate heads. I unfortunately don't have any lego figures sitting around right now to verify but just looking online even they appear to have different sized heads. I found some knockoff playmobileish styled western figures years ago that had hats that fit ok but they were not easy to find. I wonder if you could make cowboy hats for 1/18 figure heads fit? Dime Novel Legends makes a few styles of hats but not sure they would work. I kept looking for years and hoping someone would post a minimate sized/style cowboy hat on one of the 3d printing sites that I could purchase but never found one. I need to make more friends with 3d printing people hah.

38 minutes ago, jettstorm said:

I would love it if it were that easy but if Im not completely mistaken....I don't think Lego hats or hair fit on Minimate heads. I unfortunately don't have any lego figures sitting around right now to verify but just looking online even they appear to have different sized heads. I found some knockoff playmobileish styled western figures years ago that had hats that fit ok but they were not easy to find. I wonder if you could make cowboy hats for 1/18 figure heads fit? Dime Novel Legends makes a few styles of hats but not sure they would work. I kept looking for years and hoping someone would post a minimate sized/style cowboy hat on one of the 3d printing sites that I could purchase but never found one. I need to make more friends with 3d printing people hah.

I believe you are correct. I use lego hair models for some of my 3d printed characters and have to upscale them to fit a Minimate head.

PS It's still on my radar to make some Minimate hats and release them for free but other projects are higher on the list currently. I made one hat with a separate [hair below the hat] piece for ease of printing. But I didn't account for the hair when designing so the hat looks too far forward with hair. Looks OK on a bald guy. It's more of a pimp hat though. One of these days I'll finish and post that project. :)

Edited by cylonchaney

I had an epiphany. 

I was doing too much with my self-imposed decal challenge, and once I hit 18 characters worth of decals I realized I had enough to start printing. So I'm gonna.

However, I am now faced with an even harder part, now that I've got a good production pipeline for decals and a good-enough painting setup. That harder part is PARTS. Parse that. Although even the Parthenon is partial presently. Par for the course? Pardon me, what I mean to impart is...

Parts are the real bottleneck for my customs. There are just some things that don't turn up on eBay anymore, at least with any regularity. And some of the parts I need... ahh. I'm kicking myself. At least two are parts that I've had, but sold, thinking, "I'll never need this bit for a custom." Which is extra aggravating considering I'm normally Scrooge McDuck with parts, dreading this precise moment where my mini-fisted FOMO proved insufficient insulation from the demands of future innovation.

So without further ado, my Hail Mary entreaty for some parts for my next 7 waves, some of which I recognize carry higher relative value on the secondary market and would be compensated appropriately:

• Rolento (if partial: legs & feet)
  • Expendables Barney Ross (box set #2 version)
  • War Machine Mark II (James Rhodes Wave 23; if partial: just his torso cap/shoulder piece)
  • Age of Ultron Scarlet Witch (if partial: her arms)

I'd also like to consult with anyone who has successfully swapped shins+pins -- I am nervous.

• elhonez changed the title to Bronze Meddling Box 1: Sons of the Tiger [pg8]
21 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Great customs! I read about them in the Marvel Handbook, but never any of their stories.

Never let it be said that I don't dig deep for some of these. :D

Over the next few waves, I'm sure there will be more than one character whose sum comic appearances could be counted on a single hand. 

Lookin at you, xxxxxxx!

53343731261_8190b3909c_b.jpg

I decided to go back and fix up / meddle with / otherwise improve some of my very first quick-ish customs. Some got more TLC than others, but all are now more comic-accurate. No "HangMate" this time, since this wave name was already out there in the very first post.

Cheshire Cat is basically all-new, since I had the color wrong the first go-round. I added some Janine Melnitz glasses to complete the look.

I remember these being somewhat timely in that I made them after the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode aired that featured a bunch of c-listers (including Spear and the Mangler), but before Netflix's Luke Cage aired, which of course heightened Shades' and Comanche's profiles. 

Fun Fact that I only recently learned: Shades is the father of the second Power Man, Victor Alvarez. (well, technically 3rd if you include Erik Josten's early alias).

Edited by elhonez

• elhonez changed the title to Bronze Meddling Wave 1: Partners in Crime (redux) [pg8]
8 hours ago, elhonez said:

53343731261_8190b3909c_b.jpg

I decided to go back and fix up / meddle with / otherwise improve some of my very first quick-ish customs. Some got more TLC than others, but all are now more comic-accurate. No "HangMate" this time, since this wave name was already out there in the very first post.

Cheshire Cat is basically all-new, since I had the color wrong the first go-round. I added some Janine Melnitz glasses to complete the look.

I remember these being somewhat timely in that I made them after the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode aired that featured a bunch of c-listers (including Spear and the Mangler), but before Netflix's Luke Cage aired, which of course heightened Shades' and Comanche's profiles. 

Fun Fact that I only recently learned: Shades is the father of the second Power Man, Victor Alvarez. (well, technically 3rd if you include Erik Josten's early alias).

These are so awesome! Great job! I love seeing the lesser known characters represented in minimate form.

2 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

You have a real talent for Minimate customizing.

I like how you've captured the DST promo photo style as well.

Thank you! I'm excited to do more with this format. There should be at least 6 more PMIF-themed "waves" before I'm done with that group.