UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Godzilla minimate thread. Gojira!

Well I’m just gonna say this now, if, IF we don’t get Rodan and King Ghidorah, I’m gonna go on an EPIC gloat fest because I knew from the beginning THIS WOULD HAPPEN! I’ll save it until this line is confirmed done, but I’m just gonna say: DST MAKE A THIRD SET WITH AT LEAST KING GHIDORAH AND RODAN TO SHUT UP MY FAT, STUPID, UGLY FACE!!!

You don’t want me walking around all smug, DST, there will be NO living with me! I’ll be even worse then I am now! Put me place and prove I was wrong!

On a more upbeat note:

IMG_1429_zps306d6d45.jpg

Battle Beast snake head looks pretty good on Godzilla if you want an angrier look

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'd say that Godzilla is specialty-only when I can site-to-store the first set from Walmart.com for $15.99 plus tax.

Really can't beat that, although TRU and Kmerp also have it for sale on their websites.

We just have to wait for them to sell themselves. Which may take awhile because Godzilla minimates are shy and afraid of commitment. Also, non-kaiju have cooties.

Wal-Mart, TRU, and K-Mart (and possibly Target) are partnered with other companies (Entertainment Earth, Sci-Fi Genre) to sell items via their website, so yes, Godzilla is still a "Specialty Only" release.

Not according to Walmart customer service. If that typo really bugs you, I can ask her to have a supervisor confirm what she said.

SF2np1A.jpg

I'm at least supporting what I say with evidence. I'd think Godzilla not actually being specialty-exclusive would be a great thing for the line's future.

But to keep playing, I responded with:

"Could I have a corporate buyer or managing supervisor who works directly with Diamond Select Toys product confirm that the information I have received is correct?"

I love minimates and DST but this is really frustrating. Godzilla is an epic property and if they stop at two boxsets that's going to be a huge downer.

Marvel keeps going and going and I can't believe after all these years the walking dead is the only new license/series that is still going. I feel like so many potential lines get dropped out of nowhere and cut short.

Where's the cast of lost in space? Why are there two munsters coaches and not even a low run set with the rest of the family? Why try and get a license to do minimates and give up when you are just building steam?

To be fair, I think the decision to continue a line or not comes primarily from sales. Marvel is an evergreen property, but one that very well could have died if not for the support of TRU and the increased popularity of the movies. Walking Dead is still going fairly strong because of the ongoing show, the general popularity of zombies, and again, TRU support. Almost all of the other Minimate licenses lend themselves to being one or two waves and done. TMNT could go long, depending on the legs of he show, and the greater focus on casual buyers and new distribution channels.

Godzilla, while it would be great to see that line carry on for boxset after boxset and give us every character in the library, just doesn't have the mass appeal. It's not really fair to say DST hasn't done their due diligence in trying to push Minimates; if they're not selling, they're not selling. Why fault them for trying in the first place?

It would be a pity if those people wanting a third box set don't get their wish .

I could take the conversation much further if I knew the production run.....I don't . Some box sets (all licences) have been produced in numbers of about a thousand but with all the tooling on these critters I doubt if the runs have been that small ......it therefore becomes obvious that sales of the first 2 box sets will completely dictate whether a third box set will be made .

Regards Lost in Space & The Munsters , I think there is far more chance of the latter .

'Rock & a hard place' Minimate marketing decision ..........

...........example: Thundercats ......................... Box set 1 is perhaps the most sale-able Minimate box set yet made ........sold out everywhere early , loved by all & continues to climb relentlessly in price on ebay .

"Let's make have some more [box sets] " woot.gifbanana.gif

..........sets 2,3,4 & Ho are readily available everywhere......discounted . wallbash.gif

I do think the weak design of Godzilla himself didn't help, but I'm still hopeful that there's more to this line.

I'd have to agree, Godzilla's face looks a bit like a happy dog, plus I still think he should be a fully bulked up 'mate with bulky sculpted hands/boot style feet/biceps, as is he looks too skinny.

Also, as much as some people dislike the idea, with all the monsters and potential variations of Godzilla himself, Godzilla 'mates would be ideal for blind bags.

Some additional things included in the box like small buildings or background dioramas for custom displays would go a long way, even if they were just papercraft cut/fold/tape items.

Edited by youbastards

We do not sell Godzilla Minimates to Walmart. We'd like to, but we don't.

If we did, the numbers would utterly and completely justify the massive amount of tooling each set requires.

A good indicator is if they are also selling Marvel Select figures. We do not sell those to mass market stores, for contractual reasons.