UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's Your Favorite Two-Pack?

hellpop

So last night I went out to the mall with my daughter, and stopped in the comic book store, naturally (which was a huge mistake, as I forgot that on weekends they turn the shop over to gamers. Why do you do this, comic book shops? Don't you know how unpleasant this is for non-gamers and casual customers? I hope you make enough money of these guys to justify it). Now, as I'm still waiting for wave 50 from Luke (through no fault of his own, of course), I haven't seen the Baron Zemo/Nova set yet, but I knew that I would be hard pressed to walk by it without picking it up. And, sure enough, ten dollars later, there it was. These guys have been such big, big wants for me for such a long time, and they turned out great. While I was playing around with them, it occurred to me that this might be my favorite two-pack ever. The previous champ is/was probably the Captain Marvel/Black Bolt set, another pair of top ten wants that turned out great. Can't say yet which set I like better, but I'm sure Zemo and Nova is my favorite of the year by far.

So that got me wondering: what is everyone's favorite two pack? The one condition I'd give is to remember this is about BOTH figures; Hulkbuster Iron Man might be your all-time favorite Minimate, but if you don't care about Gamma Hulk don't nominate the set. Okay? Okay.

This is a toughie, but I would say its a tie between 90's Storm/Black Panther or Wesker/Doom. I love the characters, the looks, and how exciting it was to finally get both. Runner ups include Phoenix Emma/Phonix Pitor (amazing set, and how DST included the fix to Phoenix Cyke) and Dormammu/Trish.

You should have also asked best box set. That would AvX SDCC exclusive, for thr record.

We're talking Marvel 'mates here, right HP? My favourite two pack has got to be the Magik/Warlock from TRU Wave 9 - both of them lovely figures, great attention to detail and lots of extra bits and bobs, although that new Ghost Rider/Onslaught set is no running it damn close. The weird thing is that I'm not a particularly big fan of the New Mutants, that release is just so good.

Honourable mentions for the Wave 28 Wolverine and Deadpool - for me, definitive versions of both characters, and the Movie Mark 1 and 2 Iron Men set from Wave 21 that is indeed a thing of great beauty.

I haven't got that Captain Marvel/Black Bolt two-Pack and therefore it doesn't come into the running but it does look pretty cosmic.

Edited by steviebabes

For me it was the Wave 28 Wolverine and Deadpool. I feel like this set pushed Minimates forward into new levels of detail (although it could be argued that this started earlier). It also gave us the option to display Deadpool in 3 different ways, which was a great service to fans who have been waiting for a Deadpool for years. And it is still my favorite Wolverine release of all time.

Mine would probably be the Wave 41 Unmasked Spider-Man & Green Goblin. I'm not a huge Spidey fan, but Amazing Spider-Man 39 is one of my all time favorite comic covers. The way that you can recreate that cover with this two pack is just so damn cool. It is a perfect set in my mind and represents what an amazing job DST can do with a theme two pack. It's one of the very few things I have an extra of to keep in the box. Add in the fact that the back has a picture of the Mr. Sinister figures on it, which is a huge bonus for me, and it's a lock.

As for my favorite packaged two pack, for some reason I love the TRU Wave 4 X-Force Wolverine & Vault Guard. There's something about the black/green color scheme that catches my eye. I always feel the impulse to buy one on ebay when I see it.

I exclude Best of Packs for this question.

For me it's Xavier and XForce Warpath, great to get Xavier with the chair, i remember debating whether to get the Kubrick. And I enjoy the XForce comic and do not own TRU Warpath.

Second Place is a tie between the two Storm packs, the 90's one with Black Panther and the newer one with Havok.

Yaknow I don't think a minimate two pack has ever been more perfect than wave 2 Spider-Man and Carnage. If they made a direct upgraded remake of that pack it'd STILL be the greatest. Two damn amazing minimates, two simple accessories (webline and the blade hand) and the ability to tell a simple Good vs. Evil story in one two-pack? Yeah I'd say that's my favorite.

I figured that the Wolvie/Deadpool pack would get a lot of votes, and deservedly so. I'm not fond of either character, but it's a great set. I'm surprised, though, that the Spidey/Goblin set is getting so much love. But I can understand the reasoning behind it. Maybe, if we get enough nominations, I'll throw in a poll here.

I also love that Spidey/Goblin pack. I actually thought it was a bit underrated since its value seemed pretty low, but glad to see others also realize its awesomeness. A 2-pack that basically gives you an iconic cover diorama? Win.

I'm having a tough time picking my own personal favorite though. Going through Ivan's site, I find myself having trouble finding something that really jumps out. With DC or movies it would be a bit easier. Wolvie/Deadpool is a great one. Hulk/Thing (from Wal-Mart/Target) is another one I really like--two great, early figures with a great history that work really well together. Nightcrawler/Colossus was also a great one, but had major QC issues. . .

Guess I'll go with Rachel Summers Phoenix (variant)/Sentinel. I'm a huge Excalibur fan, and that is a great figure. Plus, the Sentinel which is my favorite of all the army builders.

For me it has to be one of the first pack of minimates I ever got. The Brown Wolverine and Dark Magneto 2-pack. I know that pack gets a lot of hate but I don't know why. I'm a huge X-Men nerd and I can't help loving it. To me, that is the definitive brown Wolvie and Magneto. The yellow was far too bright for my taste on the outback wolvie. And that Magneto is so gorgeous. I love the shiny hot rod red they used (or whatever you want to call it) I know a lot of people complained about this feet falling off so I just took those dumb ankle boot things off and he's fine now. Looks better that way too. And that 2 pack comes loaded. Flight stand, alternate head & hair for mags, energy blasts, extra hands for wolvie, hair piece, and even a sword. (Oh and the mask hanging off his neck accessory was a nice touch too)

DSCF1218_zps45959c26.jpg

Yeah there was some white on his knee showing but I've since painted over it :D

Being a bit greedy I kind of have three, though all for different reasons. As an old school thor fan I would have to put the TRU pack with First Appearance Thor and Balder at number one, that is just the sort of stuff I love!

However, I also give honourable mentions to the wave 19 Ms Marvel/Ultron pack as that gave two great versions of some of my favourite characters in one fell swoop and also to the first Thing/Dr Doom pack as that was the first I ever bought and so kind of holds sentimental value for me.

Interesting thread, I don't usually think of mates in terms of the 2-packs they came in -- most of the combos I can't really remember, but some of the themed ones do stand out for me. The Unmasked Spidey set was pretty much perfect, as mentioned. The first 2-pack I remember being excited to see was Firestar/Iceman, and I also really liked when Cloak & Dagger were released in the same pack. I loved that they rounded Old Man Logan up to a 2-pack instead of it being just another lone Wolvie.

My favorite packaging is the Punisher/Battle Damaged Cap set with the illustration on the front. And I remember being really wowed by how detailed the paint was on that Spidey 3 preview set, for the time at least.

But I'd say my personal favorite is Shadowcat/Captain Britain, that's the 2-pack I was most excited to get ever, especially after years of "never happen" from Chuck smile.png.

Uh-oh, Battlecat, you mentioned Captain Britain, which will no doubt bring out BHM to lament about how they f**cked up his mask. But he's right... they f**cked up his mask. I love CB, and I love the Alan Davis design, and that 'mate is probably my single biggest disappointment. But I do really like that set, and wave 31 is probably my single favorite wave.