UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Stan the Man

smackman

I've recently been going through my Marvel Minimate collection upon my recent acquisition of a swanky new display shelf, and I've been noticing that there are a ton of lackluster civilian characters. Namely Aunt May from the new Spider-Man movie, the Punisher War Zone thugs, etc. It somehow dawned on me, why not a Stan Lee Minimate? How awesome would that be? I'd put him front and center in my collection. He's been in the comics, just about every movie, he's just as much a Marvel character as Hulk or Spidey, so why the hell not? Anyone agree?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have long wanted him included in a wave. I would even entertain the idea of a con exclusive.

I'm guessing it all comes down the license rights. When ToyBiz made the Stan Lee Marvel Legends figure, they were owned by Marvel, so they probably had all likeness rights and licenses already in-hand.

I would love an official Stan Lee Minimate, but unless DST plans on selling Stan Lee bottle openers, ice cube trays, neon signs, or vinyl banks, I don't thnk we can count on that happening anytime soon.

If it came out in a set, i probably wouldn't complain. But i don't really, actively want one. If Stan Lee is deserving of a minimate, is Jack Kirby too?

As a civilian thrown into a movie wave - sure, it could be cool. I just wouldn't want to be at the expense of a more significant character.... and i guarantee it almost always would be.

I would be happy with a simple Stan Lee/First Appearance Spider-Man re-do convention exclusive. It would have a Spidey, so Chuck would be happy, and Stan would be a great selling point for a con exclusive. It has to be better than a "sewer battle" exclusive, right?

I would love that!

I would be happy with a simple Stan Lee/First Appearance Spider-Man re-do convention exclusive. It would have a Spidey, so Chuck would be happy, and Stan would be a great selling point for a con exclusive. It has to be better than a "sewer battle" exclusive, right?

I would love that!

That's exactly what I'm saying, we get a lot of garbage exclusives like that, why not some love for Stan?

OK, I'm thinking that we may have had one or two 'not so great' exclusives ....'garbage' is IMHO a bit strong . Just saying because I'm not sure I'd ask DST to pursue Stan Lee's permission for his likeness etc. on the strength of the sort of encouragement that comment offers . wink.png

I'd love a Stan Lee Minimate & I believe (I know) that Heroclix did a Comic Con version which had a run of 20,000. That sort of run makes sense but I can't see 3-5000 working & that's what a Minimate 'exclusive' run would be .

I would love that!

That's exactly what I'm saying, we get a lot of garbage exclusives like that, why not some love for Stan?

Garbage? Wow.

Edited by Zach Oat

I would love that!

Garbage? Wow.

I just did not care for the sewer battle exclusive. It felt unnecessary. The same goes with the Iron Man 2 exclusive with Tony and Black Widow in the leopard print dress. They're not exactly bad, just not my cup of tea.

I would love that!

Garbage? Wow.

Hmmm...Sewers are full of garbage? Clever pun?

I would love that!

Garbage? Wow.

I just did not care for the sewer battle exclusive. It felt unnecessary. The same goes with the Iron Man 2 exclusive with Tony and Black Widow in the leopard print dress. They're not exactly bad, just not my cup of tea.

Well, there's a big difference between "garbage" and "I chose not to purchase them." Maybe they were unnecessary to your collection, but to the kid who bought them as his first Minimate set, they were VERY necessary. Our store at conventions is swarmed with kids. The set sold well. You were under no obligation to buy it. It didn't take the place of some hypothetical "awesome" exclusive. There were two other Marvel box sets on sale at that show. This one was a bonus.

The divide between people who are worried that they won't be able to get an exclusive set without paying out the nose and the people who are mad that an exclusive set "isn't special enough to warrant purchasing" is an odd one.

And if anyone wants a Stan Mate, ask DST. Seriously, I'm not sure we've looked into it enough to see whether the challenges are surmountable.

Whether I chose to buy them or not isn't the point, the point is that, some minimates are just poorly executed. The sewer battle lizard is virtually identical to it's regular wave counterpart, with the exception of a few scratches and splotches of sewer gunk, and the spider man, although slightly different, is just the same movie spider man with mud, or whatever it's supposed to be splattered on him. I'm not hating on minimates, quite the opposite actually. What DST cranks out 99.9% of the time is pure unadulterated awesomeness. I love collecting them, I still get goosebumps when I open them, and I get stoked for every new wave that's put out there. With the exceptional quality that we've been spoiled by lately,(i.e. Modok, Hulkbuster, Best of 1&2, Venom through the ages) I can't help but to be disheartened when they just aren't up to par with the rest of them.

I will ask DST to make a Stan Minimate, I hadn't thought of that, will do. :)

Are the regular ASM Spidey and Lizard Mates poorly executed? I remember them being pretty well received. So how does ADDING paint apps to them suddenly make them sub-par?

I understand someone not wanting them. I would even understand someone calling them "lazy" -- although I would prefer "easy," since the hard work was already done on the regular releases. But to say the Minimates are of poor quality... Don't confuse quality with individual desirability.

If taking two quality Mates and altering them slightly to make them available to a new, different audience makes them somehow "less than", then I think you have to indict far more than 1% of the line.