UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy Fair 2013 Minimate News

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me if we have the box set for ghostbusters that can be seen in the top left of this photo. It looks like it come with marshmellow hair for ray and egon. Also if you compare the coloring of the suits with the poster(?) the suits appear more khaki color than grey.

Wait where did you see minimate kid arms and legs?

Good toy fair so far but still hope there are some surprises left.

post-3154-0-09650900-1360604776_thumb.jp

Edited by Phiz

There are definetely some really nervous people in the world.I was checking out dst's fb page and saw a guy complaining that we won't get any figures from lara croft.I tried to explain to him that minimates are their go to line.Anyway here's his post:

Aaaand only Tomb Raider Minimates. Why get the license if you're not going to make figures. There're a lot of us that actually don't LIKE Minimates, you know....

Me:

Most people who buy dst's products are minimate collectors.It's their main toyline and sells a lot more than figures.If you don't like minimates you can buy square enix's new tomb raider figure based on the new game.And even if they made figures you would probably get only lara and maybe the main antagoinst so it doesn't make much of a difference.And why should they not pick up a licence?Minimates were the number 1 product one speciality stores and are constantly growing.

And that's his answer:

Alright, allow me to make myself clear: I couldn't care less about those of you that enjoy the Minimates, nor the statistics surrounding the line's sales. NOR did I say that if we can't have both, you can't have any at all. You buy the Minimates? Good for you. That's for you. But there are those of us who DON'T appreciate them. That DON'T buy them. Therefore, if you're going to tie down a license, why not cater to the rest of us NON-Minimates collectors as well? Does that make sense? Have you got it now? Or are you going to continue analyzing and trying to interpret what I'm saying to benefit your argument? Oh, and your argument that we'd "only get Lara and the main antagonist so it'd be pointless", then turning around telling me to go buy the SOLE Square Enix one is idiotic.

Also conspicuously absent: Battle Beasts.

When Zach said series two had not been confirmed just a few days before toy fair, that pretty much seals the fate of Battle Beasts in my eyes. Timing killed this line more than anything else. A pre-Christmas release would have satisfied both kids and minimate hungry collectors during a mm drought versus post-Christmas release after kids have had their fill and collectors are overdosing on multiple simultaneous releases along with Toy Fair announcements. Battle Beasts then gets the T-Dog treatment.

Harsh stuff Kostis. I've realized just how spoiled we are here in Minimateland, where fans are generally polite and show respect to DST in general. Reading what people put on their FB page (mainly about the Marvel Select and Star Trek) makes me feel sorry for Zach and Co. for having to respond to crap like that.

And I'm not counting out Battle Beasts yet. I thought what Zach was saying was that they weren't going to confirm series two until at least the TRU stuff showed up in stores. If it does well there at least then I foresee more.

And Phiz, the upcoming ThunderCats set has smaller arms and legs for the kitten characters (which aren't being shown at Toy Fair). Zach also confirmed that they will be used in whatever the new boxsets they're releasing (but haven't confirmed what the license is yet).

There are definetely some really nervous people in the world.I was checking out dst's fb page and saw a guy complaining that we won't get any figures from lara croft.I tried to explain to him that minimates are their go to line.Anyway here's his post:

Aaaand only Tomb Raider Minimates. Why get the license if you're not going to make figures. There're a lot of us that actually don't LIKE Minimates, you know....

Me:

Most people who buy dst's products are minimate collectors.It's their main toyline and sells a lot more than figures.If you don't like minimates you can buy square enix's new tomb raider figure based on the new game.And even if they made figures you would probably get only lara and maybe the main antagoinst so it doesn't make much of a difference.And why should they not pick up a licence?Minimates were the number 1 product one speciality stores and are constantly growing.

And that's his answer:

Alright, allow me to make myself clear: I couldn't care less about those of you that enjoy the Minimates, nor the statistics surrounding the line's sales. NOR did I say that if we can't have both, you can't have any at all. You buy the Minimates? Good for you. That's for you. But there are those of us who DON'T appreciate them. That DON'T buy them. Therefore, if you're going to tie down a license, why not cater to the rest of us NON-Minimates collectors as well? Does that make sense? Have you got it now? Or are you going to continue analyzing and trying to interpret what I'm saying to benefit your argument? Oh, and your argument that we'd "only get Lara and the main antagonist so it'd be pointless", then turning around telling me to go buy the SOLE Square Enix one is idiotic.

Best is to not bother with someone that stupid. LOL.

On their fb page dst said to look out for pics.No site has covered anything yet.I'm really anxious to see aliens,movie mates,ghostbusters and whatever that tmnt thing is.I just hope that they make some tmnt mates in the future.Either way,more licences will be announced throughout the year (2 licences at nycc i think).

I will still buy anything packaged under the name "minimate" but so far nothing amazing has shown up imo....Also are the prices for the toys r us sets going up?

Harsh stuff Kostis. I've realized just how spoiled we are here in Minimateland, where fans are generally polite and show respect to DST in general. Reading what people put on their FB page (mainly about the Marvel Select and Star Trek) makes me feel sorry for Zach and Co. for having to respond to crap like that. And I'm not counting out Battle Beasts yet. I thought what Zach was saying was that they weren't going to confirm series two until at least the TRU stuff showed up in stores. If it does well there at least then I foresee more. And Phiz, the upcoming ThunderCats set has smaller arms and legs for the kitten characters (which aren't being shown at Toy Fair). Zach also confirmed that they will be used in whatever the new boxsets they're releasing (but haven't confirmed what the license is yet).

That's one of the reasons I am really not looking forward to the return of Trek Minimates. Trekkies are just mean. But yeah, Kosti, that's harsh. I can see where the guy is coming from, given that it is often not financially viable for DST to pick up a license JUST for Minimates, according to Chuck and Zach anyways. But that dud didn't have to be so bitter.

Can anyone tell me if we have the box set for ghostbusters that can be seen in the top left of this photo. It looks like it come with marshmellow hair for ray and egon. Also if you compare the coloring of the suits with the poster(?) the suits appear more khaki color than grey.

Wait where did you see minimate kid arms and legs?

Good toy fair so far but still hope there are some surprises left.

Looks like concept art for a new GB box set.

The new Walking Dead stuff looks great. I'm super excited about Invincible and and the new Aliens stuff.

I'm not a fan at all of the new Marvel Now TRU wave. Looks like that'll be the first wave that I completely pass up. I just noticed that the Fury Jr. Minimates comes with an alternate head so we can finally get a Commander Rogers!

Soooooooooooooo.................what's up with the picture drought?confused.gif

remember there is a time difference so as I post this its coming up to 9pm my time but only coming up to 4pm new york time. The show could still be on going and then at end of day ppl will be sorting through pictures etc.

Also I think Toyfair is a trade show not really open to the public so I dont think any board members are there so all pictures are through the major toy sites.

I just noticed that the Fury Jr. Minimates comes with an alternate head so we can finally get a Commander Rogers!

And the Rogers hands include a shield peg, so hopefully a holoshield will be included as well. Hopefully.

The NOW wave is pretty expected. I know it can be pretty hard to get excited about the regular cast of characters, but it looks like DST has knocked each of these out of the park. The amount of detailing on Cap is insane. Wolverine, IM, and Wanda all look like perfect 3-D renditions of their 2-D counterparts. Hulk is a little boring looking, but still... these are the heavy hitters of Marvel NOW. We knew they were coming, it's just nice to see them done so well. (And now that we've seen these, I hope really hope Thor, Havok, Rogue, Captain Marvel, and Hyperion get released at some point too.)

I'm not going to lie, while the new Trek stuff looks cool and all, it's still a bit irksome that out of TNG we have THREE versions of Picard and no one else. Same for DS9 and Sisko. Kinda hard to get all the way on board when it seems like DST is having a hard time doing the same. If this were a TNG or DS9 wave, I'd preorder them at warp speed. As it is, I might pick them up as an impulse buy

Yeah, that is kind of lame. I know Captains are heavy hitters and all, but 2 Siskos and Picards being released simultaneously, when both already had a previous release? Too bad. I would love to get Data, Worf, Riker, Quark, and a number of others.