UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Restored "the Wolverine" movie mate speculation thread. Now w/ added "Days of Future Present"

Mirymate

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just saw the move (good movie by the way) and Zach wasn't kidding about them not having much reference material. The minimate they created and are calling Shingen Yashida looks nothing like him but looks like Mariko's fiancee Noburo instead. Shingen didn't even have facial hair.

Not getting an actual Shingen in samurai armor or hallucination Silver Samurai, jumpsuit Viper and Silver Samurai-Bot are all missed opportunities for some great minimates.

This wave is a mess and with it not coming until Sept(??) it's most likely going to warm the pegs at TRU. Hopefully DST can get some earlier reference material for DOFP.

Fox has little interest in merchandising. Remember, this is the studio that allowed Lucas to retain merchandising rights to that space movie he did back in '77. I know things were different back then but it appears they've got the same mentality. I guess they're more interested in making money at the box office for a few months and on home video thereafter than on toy store shelves. Not that they haven't done well with the Alien franchise or Planet of the Apes but even Avatar product managed to flop.

I'm sure they like merchandising, but they always seem to be behind the 8-Ball on getting their stuff out there. Case in point, X-Men 3 and First Class were barely finished in time to get to theaters, and The Wolverine didn't get a trailer until a few months before the movie came out. I don't blame DST at all, they should be commended for doing as much as they can considering Fox's nonsense.

That's kind of the point regarding Fox, Zach. I know that this film might be the most toyetic X-movie ever but retailers tend to respond well to tie-ins. Nolan's bat-flicks weren't very kid-friendly but Toys R Us and other mass market retailers are that shit up.

Then again, Warner Bros. Consumer Products has a much better track record when it comes to licensing than Fox. Not saying it's easy, just saying that Fox doesn't take advantage of it as a profit center the way other studios do.

Either way, once again DST/AA gets product on the shelves. Maybe not in time for the movie release but hopefully it'll do well on home video. (And, hey; it's Wolverine.)

I'd gladly trade both The Wolverine waves for that cancelled TRU Thor 2 wave. I know people have said kind things about the movie, but I'm just not interested enough to go watch it in the theater, I'll wait for the Blu Ray. (Of course I'm leaving in a few minutes to go catch Pacific Rim in IMAX one last time :) ) But yeah, people in civilain clothes versus Asgardian designs and completed teams - I can tell you which one is more appealing to me. I really hope these do well, but if they don't, I sincerely hope it doesn't effect the chances of DOFP mates.

Also, the new design of the DOFP Sentinel leaves me cold. I'm just not feeling it. Hopefully I'll like it more when the movie comes out. But given it's size, I'd prefer a vinyl minimate-style rotocast bank instead of an undersized minimate.

We don't have the Marvel bank license, so that's out.

Poor sales of Thor Minimates led to fewer Minimates of Thor 2, so I have to imagine the same applies here, assuming DOFP is seen as a being of the same series as Wolverine AND XMFC.

Wolverine is in every pack, and there are five (!) exclusive figures, and DOFP hype seems to include Wolvie, so here's hoping!

I have no reason to expect that the next X-film will be merchandised any differently by Fox than the rest. (IE - piss poor)

DOFP seems like a great opportunity to play catch-up with veteran fans of the franchise as well as drawing in new ones but the feeling I get is that this is the last hurrah. With X-Force already on the slate, I think we're saying good-bye to X-Men movies for the foreseeable future. And if DST can't get the necessary assets from Fox, I'd sooner offer a comic-themed tie-in. (And that's coming from a guy who prefers movie product.)

I'm only just seeing Wolverine product even at my own store, so Fox is really screwing the pooch in merchandising. I don't necessarily blame them, but it is pretty sad. I'm not sure i'll forgive Hasbro ditching Phoenix 5 Cyclops from their own Wolverine lineup, so that may still be picking at me, too.

To be fair to hasbro, I don't think they wanted that to happen, I think the lack of proper media support and advertising for the Wolverine until the very last minute kind of killed interest in the line at retail. I definitely don't think they wanted the wave to become a Preview's exclusive. Although to your point if they would have just made it a six figure wave instead of the rolling change plan that they have not done successfully once, we could still have Rogue and Phoenix Cyclops.

Wait - we lost Rogue as well ? verymad.gif

FRAAARRRQKKSS!!!!

That Rogue was awesome. I was really looking forward to a ML scale Rogue that didn't look like a blind wh0re who was a little too liberal with the rouge.