UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Your FAVORITE Toy Line, Period

Alpheon

:) It's me again, the Brain Picker. I wanted to know, is Minimates really your favorite toy? I know it's hard to decide, but think about it. I think it is Minimates for me. Really. All I'm asking you guys is to say what your true FAVORITE toy line really is. :D

Oh yeah, its minimates. I swear, at first, I thought it'd be a side hobby to my ML's, but no, they demanded superiority. The person who really helped me out is Shanester, who I thank whenever possible for getting me going.

I have picked up a couple of specific figures from a few other toy lines, but I've never gone all out and set myself on a mission to collect every single figure released from any one given line... except for minimates.

So, I would say that that simple fact is enough for me to be able to claim that minimates are my favorite toy line ever. :D

One word...

Transformers...

Don't get me wrong, i love Minimates even though i got into collecting them far later than most people i know, but the one toyline that i've always stuck with has been Transformers. It's a great toyline, nuff said...

At one time, the Batman: The Animated Series line was my very favorite. Then Marvel Minimates came along and took the title. Adding the DC minimates was the icing on the cake. But, after suffering through some frustration with quality and lack of product for a year, LEGO took the top spot. They have some awesome themes: Star Wars, Batman, Exo-Force, etc... and the Minifigs, the original block figures, are simple but cool.

I love my Minimates, but if I could only collect ONE toy line, it would have to be LEGO for me.

Throughout my time it's been Transformers, GI Joe, Minimates, SMC/Marvel Legends. Each has gotten a share of the top spot. GI Joe and Transformers were from my childhood. Lego has always remained on the side and have collected them occasionally. More frequently with the Spidey license, soon enough I'll complete the Batman collection.

Within the last 4 years, it's been Minimates and MLegends. First Minimates took over life as it were, but with the delays and lack of diversity, Marvel Legends took the top spot. At this point I've been close to quiting minimates. Hopefully with the upcomming licenses for minimates, they will reclaim the title. :D There is just something about the plastic crack :P

Man for me I guess I kinda go with the flavor of the week. Growing up it was Star Wars (of course) then GIJoe, Transformers, Lego, always wanted a Voltron (y'know the metal one with the seperate lions that joined to make Voltron, wicked cool). I got rid of all my stuff when I hit mid 20's and get heavy into comics (so says my collection of 10,000). Then early 30's I got into motorcycles. My latest love is an'04 Harley fatboy (pic attached, man I love parenthesis). Minis I kind of fell into as I only wanted the Iron Man figs my favorite superhero. The rest is infamy I guees, I stick with Minis. FOR NOW!!! Muah HAh hah HAhhh!!!

:lol:

It all started way back when I was a little tyke...

Starwars. Then came Masters of the Universe. Then Transformers. Then GI Joe. COPS. Marvel Superheroes/X-Men. Then I kinda bounced around a bit. Then they started making Starwars again...

After I grew tired of them, I really didn't have a solid, "gotta get them all line" except for the Resident Evil figures... Then I found Minimates...

They're the only line that I collect consistently, other than Sigma 6 and the Sideshow Buffy 12" figures...

I'm a child of the late 70's & 80's, so I went through all those great toy lines: GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Kenner Star Wars, Go Bots, and so on.

My favorite individual toy was the Hasbro Air Raiders Thunderhammer, because it came with an action figure named Jad. Hey, that's my name!

But if I could only take one toy line with me to the afterlife, it would be the Galoob Star Wars MicroMachines. Not the Action Fleet, mind you, though that would rank as another great toy line. No, I'm speaking of the Galoob Classic Trilogy MicroMachines, with platform playsets, HO scale figures, and plastic ships sold (usually) in three-packs.

If you've got a complete run of the toy line (like me!), you've got:

- every major character in every major costume

- platform sets or transforming heads to represent almost every single scene from the Classic Trilogy

- every major and most minor ship represented in plastic, including many battle damage variations

- tons of army builders - Stormtroopers, Jawas, TIE Pilots, Ewoks, you name it!

- transforming playsets! Open up the Double Takes Death Star and you find... Tatooine? Sure, why not! Or how about Vader's lightsaber becoming the Death Star trench!

- storage space! A complete loose set can be stored in one large plastic tub

- money! Most of the sets can be had on eBay fairly cheap

There you have it! Man, now I want to get my MicroMachines out...

Well, I too am an old guy. Looking back, my Megos and my GI Joes were the best things going. Today, minimates are just about the only thing that have kept my attention.

Star Wars. From Kenner and Galoob to Hasbro, this line has such much breadth and depth and continued potential it's kept me collecting for three decades. I love the 3 3/4" scale.

Honorable mention: Star Trek. Same kind of variety (Galoob's Micro Machines and Playmates Toys' figures) though it ultimately became a real pain in the ass to collect and – at least for the time being – will remain incomplete though it could have gone on indefinitely.

As a kid it was Action Man (Gi Joe to you unrefined Yankee devils) then Star Wars.

As a growed up kid it's still Star Wars (man, I can't believe I sold my original figures to fund cigarettes and booze! :D) but Minimates are a very close second and right now, if I had to choose between Star Wars with it's constant reissues and minimates with the DC and BSG mates imminent I think I'd go with the mates. It'd be a bloody horrible choice to have to make though.

My favorite of current lines has to be Minimates-there's nothing cooler on the market.

But, my favorite line that I've been the most passionate about was Palisades' Muppet figures. Those things remind me more of my childhood than any toy I actually had and I was fortunate to be involved with the line some. I got to work with them at WWC twice, including right when the line started, was big on the message board, won contests and even have my name on the box of the coolest playset ever (the Swedish Chef kitchen). I was sad when the line ended and even more so when the company was sold. I don't think I'll ever have a chance to be apart of a line like that again.

My favorite changes every few years. Currently it is minimates (the only toy line I collect). In the past it has been Movie Maniacs, World of Springfield, and Marvel Legends. But those have all went the way of the eBay. However, I don't see myself changing from minimates anytime soon. :)

My favorite now is definately Minimates, but years ago(like Minivenom) I was heavily into the Batman: TAS Line.