UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man 3 Minimates -

Nessex

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail the sculpt vs. tampo discussion, but I have a quick question... I haven't seen IM 3 yet and am wondering how many Extremis Soldiers appeared in the movie. I'm not trying to get an exact match or anything, but were there a lot of them or maybe 10 or so? Just trying to figure out if I want to get more of them while they're pretty easy to find.

I suspect we got a lot more into sculpted parts for the movie line because it was intended to appeal to a broader audience than core Minimate collectors, and they wanted them to seem more "action figure-y" than the standard block bodies might look on casual appraisal.

Good point, and I'm sure DST wanted this line to blend in with previous offerings. I'm all for the sculpted bits BUT in some cases they actually interfere with the figure's range of motion. If I can't raise a figure's arms without them popping off because of a should collar issue, that's bad.

The upgrade from the first Iron Man to the "Best of" Iron Man managed to add a couple bits without sacrificing articulation. I'm all for that.

fig0036flg.jpgfig1401flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan some more!)

Isnt sculpting cheap then tampoing?

I believe that's what we've been told but I recall we were also told the tooling is what prevented us from getting more armor variants.

Sculpting might be less expensive overall but I'm guessing pad printing is quicker. If it's the difference between making more sales or not... confused.gif

Not to derail the sculpt vs. tampo discussion, but I have a quick question... I haven't seen IM 3 yet and am wondering how many Extremis Soldiers appeared in the movie. I'm not trying to get an exact match or anything, but were there a lot of them or maybe 10 or so? Just trying to figure out if I want to get more of them while they're pretty easy to find.

IMDb lists two dozen different actors playing "Extremis Soldier."

Build that army and bring back pics!

IMDb lists two dozen different actors playing "Extremis Soldier."

Build that army and bring back pics!

I was thinking a little over a dozen, but if imdb says so....

Notably, from what I recall from the movie:

An Asian

Two African Americans

Two Females?

And the rest where white men

All in all? More diverse than the US Congress :P

And, yes, bring pics!

Edited by Onyx_6

Thanks for the help! Checking IMDB didn't even cross my mind.

Not sure about how to go about the diversity of the soldiers though. I'm more of a parts swap than decals and painting type of person when it comes to customizing. I was planning on just throwing different hair pieces on the white guys.

Good point, and I'm sure DST wanted this line to blend in with previous offerings. I'm all for the sculpted bits BUT in some cases they actually interfere with the figure's range of motion. If I can't raise a figure's arms without them popping off because of a should collar issue, that's bad.

The upgrade from the first Iron Man to the "Best of" Iron Man managed to add a couple bits without sacrificing articulation. I'm all for that.

fig0036flg.jpgfig1401flg.jpg

(Hail Ivan some more!)

I always swapped the parts on those two. It makes it look so much classier.

IM1copy_zps6977da9c.jpg

Sculpting is cheaper depending on number of parts, amount of tampo and quantity being made. The sculpting cost is minor compared to the tooling cost (cutting steel molds), but the tooling can be amortized by increasing the quantity made, spreading out that cost. With tampoing you have to pay for every color and every strike on every part, and I don't believe making more of them makes it any cheaper. BUT a metal tool (mold) can only hold so many parts. You can only make what will fit in the budgeted number of tools, or you need to start in on another block of steel, and your tooling cost increases by 50% to 100%.

Sculpting is cheaper depending on number of parts, amount of tampo and quantity being made. The sculpting cost is minor compared to the tooling cost (cutting steel molds), but the tooling can be amortized by increasing the quantity made, spreading out that cost. With tampoing you have to pay for every color and every strike on every part, and I don't believe making more of them makes it any cheaper. BUT a metal tool (mold) can only hold so many parts. You can only make what will fit in the budgeted number of tools, or you need to start in on another block of steel, and your tooling cost increases by 50% to 100%.

Awesome post Zach , I.....& I'm sure many others here.... really appreciate that insight . thumbsup.gif

As I approach 'bucket list time ' can you put my name down on the "Who wants to visit the Minimate factory" * list .

*....or is it factories ? teehee.gif

This is actually not so easy.... Visiting the factory (unless of course you get taken in by someone at DST) usually means needing a reason to be there, which requires coming up with a back-story about needing some injection moulding, having some numbers & being speaking reasonably good chinese.

I only know this because I have family in China and have already put the idea to them :P

Are any of the armors in the SDCC Hall of Armors set noticeably different from their non-SDCC released versions?

Check back a few pages and you'll see

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I hope you enjoy it, let us know what you think! thumbsup.gif

I dusted off my amp , pumped up the volume on the 'sub' , slid the 'nonblu' into the cupholder & sat back for the show ..............

Conclusion :

Some great moments but ,all in all, I was very disappointed sad.png This wasn't what I expected in many ways ........I've done quite well avoiding reviews & spoilers .........I just expected a bit more I suppose . Maybe I'm ridiculous for saying that some of the scenes were just ridiculous ......most of the 'Airforce One' scenes were inexcusably dreadful ......."it's a comic-book movie Rob, get over it !" I suppose.

I enjoyed it ,who couldn't ? It's just a shame that Marvel can't take a leaf out of the recent Dark Knight trilogy & give us something a bit grittier especially when they have (had?) RDJ as such a superb Iron Man.

The more i think about the movie the more I could find fault with it but I will say this .....& he's no favourite of mine ......Ben Kingsley was bloody awesome. Kingsley's portrayal of 'The Mandarin ' character in the early part of the movie was really unnerving but not quite as unnerving as his latter scenes,masterclass . Amazing blink.png

Edited by buttheadsmate

yes.gif

I'll keep it 'vague' 'cause I can't be the only one who hadn't seen the movie yet.

'Early' Kingsley was the Mandarin, the Mandarin that had scared the crap out of me from the early days of 'Tales of Suspense' (#50).....Asian ol' guy with gnarled ringed fingers manipulating ,threatening & generally very f*cking frightening ........I was 9 years old BTW.

What a movie it could have been for me (I'm sorry guys but I'm a 'me' sort of person & I want what I want whether or not Joe Public wants it or gets what Disney gives him ) if only they had concentrated on him rather than cameos from the 'Hall of armors' & Guy Pearce's dentistry.

Kingsley's latter scenes ? Very few actors (IMHO) could have accomplished the early scenes & the latter scenes with such aplomb .

It was a good movie with some nice moments but there were far too many cliches ....the diner rolleyes.gif ,Airforce One,Malibu beach-house,geeky kid,servient-bot,dog-tags,sheriff slaying, misguided vice-president ,mike thrusting press-corps ,ugly-duckling turned swan villain ,blah diddy blah .

......& another thing .....which may just be me..... but the whole 'Iron Patriot' concept (specifically the way it was portrayed in this movie) kind of left a bad taste in my mouth . Difficult to elaborate on without getting myself into deep water here.

DISCLAIMER: bhm knows that he is old & the movie wasn't made for him .

Edited by buttheadsmate

I consider my still young & it was'nt made for me either! You sum up exactly what I thought of the film

The Peggy Carter mini film (15 minutes!) Bloody brilliant worth the price of the bluray alone (lord knows iron man 3 and the special features aren't) the world needs more Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter.

The Peggy Carter mini film (15 minutes!) Bloody brilliant worth the price of the bluray alone (lord knows iron man 3 and the special features aren't) the world needs more Hayley Atwell/Peggy Carter.

Wait.... What!? Is this on the blu-ray release? :woot:

yes.gif

......& another thing .....which may just be me..... but the whole 'Iron Patriot' concept (specifically the way it was portrayed in this movie) kind of left a bad taste in my mouth . Difficult to elaborate on without getting myself into deep water here.

DISCLAIMER: bhm knows that he is old & the movie wasn't made for him .

If you can, try picking up/reading the Iron Man 3 Prequel graphic novel. It contains a summary of IM2 and a two-part War-Machine story that explains a little bit of the IP backstory. It also explains why Rhodey 'slept' through The New York Incident.

~ Suggestionyx 6