UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

THIS is my Star Wars

TM2 Dinobot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a fan of the anime art style, but the rotoscoping-ish body movements look pretty good. I'm actually a big fan of the Clone Wars art style. I think a Rebellion series in that style that takes place between A New Hope and Empire would be bad ass.

I think I agree Turtle, I do quite like the weird blocky style of Clone wars, though I'd be worried about any new series relating to the sacred old stuff.

Lucas and his underlings are so out of ideas, Clone wars has been painful to watch for a long time. I'm wondering, has Han shown up yet? Must be the only character left, its so silly.

I've played so many games, read books or watched cartoons and other expanded universe bollocks, and the stuff being churned out just gets worse and worse. Star wars is just 3 damn good films to me.

I've gone off on one there, sorry. The clip was cool though.

I guess ignorance is bliss. I'm not really familiar with much EU. I enjoyed the Battlefront video games, but that wasn't exactly a story based game. I haven't played the other games, and I haven't read any books. I've seen the Clone Wars movie and some early episodes. It seems kind of like maybe Boba Fett's awesomeness has probably been watered down, just based on how many Jango clone/look-a-likes there apparently are. Yeah, now that you mention it, best to leave the good stuff alone. Except I do want CW style toy versions of Luke, Han, and company.

Yeah, there's no sound yet. if y'all remember, OtaKing is also the guy that did the amazing Doctor Who anime.

The helmets disappearing is strange, but cool, because it gives you a feel for the characters and who's under the masks that you don't get with "Nameless pilots in black helmets are bad" that Lucas gave us. I love how this focuses on the Empire, a place where not enough love is given. And my favorite shot is the TIE Fighter pulling away from the ISD, and the TIE is still but the ISD spins and reels in the background, affording the illusion of movement to the fighter. Classy.

wow im glad im not a real starwars fan then, cuz i love Clone Wars and the actual mythology behind Starwars rather then refusing to let it expand or become something more then one trilogy that has an unfinished story :D

sarcasm aside, that does look awesome and id love for it to become a reality, but i just have a huge problem with "star wars" fans who only complain about "the atrocities done to their franchise", it really annoys me that fans can be that selfish, its like saying doctor who should have never come back or batman should have ended after the animated series.

sorry, rant over...

wow im glad im not a real starwars fan then, cuz i love Clone Wars and the actual mythology behind Starwars rather then refusing to let it expand or become something more then one trilogy that has an unfinished story :D

sarcasm aside, that does look awesome and id love for it to become a reality, but i just have a huge problem with "star wars" fans who only complain about "the atrocities done to their franchise", it really annoys me that fans can be that selfish, its like saying doctor who should have never come back or batman should have ended after the animated series.

sorry, rant over...

I know what you're trying to say undp, but I don't feel you're being fair and making some generalisations about the nature of the complaints. I know exactly the type you're referring to, the guys that throw around terms like 'raped my childhood', and I promise I don't fall into that category. The origins were long before my time, but I did watch them repeatedly from a very young age; I was about 11 when Menace came out... even then I knew it was bollocks, and I'm afraid the vast majority of that which has come since has been too (in my opinion, of course)... though I never burned by Boba Fett the second Jaja came on screen, that I can promise.

There is a difference between expanding or developing on what was in place ('they' used to do some pretty good comics n' such, with the post-Empire new Jedi order stuff, for example), and just mindlessly tacking things on for familiarity or trying to force continuity. I does say something about what has come since, and what is being produced now, when they've run out of the old characters to shoehorn into the Clone Wars, and have started bringing Menace characters back from the dead... as Shelob, no less :biggrin: (I promise I'm also aware someone about to turn 25 is not the Clone Wars's target audience (but I'm also aware that doesn't mean just because you're not a child you're not allowed to like it (see how well I'm covering myself as not to offend here?))).

Also, I never understood the need to dissect every facet of a 'universe' or 'mythology' as you put it... whats wrong with a little mystery? Luke and Ben spoke about the Clone Wars like it was this absolute grand spectacle. There were so many questions that really didn't need answering.

Oh god... I've gone off on one again here, I do apologise, I'm not really like this. I do realise Lucas n' co will keep churning out crap and bleeding a franchise dry as long as there are people to make money from. I'm not crazy, there is just far too much watered down Star Wars sh*t that seems to have left a permanent bad taste in the mouth :mellow: (Force Unleased 2, anyone?)

I suppose, in sort of summary, that while I could also never condone this bizarre sense of self entitlement that some have, it doesn't mean a fan can't complain if Lucas tries to do toilet in their mouth... or something.

The Clone Wars "crap" is better IMO.

Well, I liked the 2003 Clone Wars. That Grevious is still the best rendition. But I just can't watch the CG version. I've tried. It just... it's stupid. I'm not saying you can't like it. By all means, you're certainly not alone in liking it. But my first exposure to Star Wars outside the '95 VHS releases were Timothy Zahn and the Tales of the Jedi comics. This anime, (Which got pulled apparently) is much more in line with what I grew up with.

sorry, rant over...

I know what you're trying to say undp, but I don't feel you're being fair and making some generalisations about the nature of the complaints. I know exactly the type you're referring to, the guys that throw around terms like 'raped my childhood', and I promise I don't fall into that category. The origins were long before my time, but I did watch them repeatedly from a very young age; I was about 11 when Menace came out... even then I knew it was bollocks, and I'm afraid the vast majority of that which has come since has been too (in my opinion, of course)... though I never burned by Boba Fett the second Jaja came on screen, that I can promise.

There is a difference between expanding or developing on what was in place ('they' used to do some pretty good comics n' such, with the post-Empire new Jedi order stuff, for example), and just mindlessly tacking things on for familiarity or trying to force continuity. I does say something about what has come since, and what is being produced now, when they've run out of the old characters to shoehorn into the Clone Wars, and have started bringing Menace characters back from the dead... as Shelob, no less :biggrin: (I promise I'm also aware someone about to turn 25 is not the Clone Wars's target audience (but I'm also aware that doesn't mean just because you're not a child you're not allowed to like it (see how well I'm covering myself as not to offend here?))).

Also, I never understood the need to dissect every facet of a 'universe' or 'mythology' as you put it... whats wrong with a little mystery? Luke and Ben spoke about the Clone Wars like it was this absolute grand spectacle. There were so many questions that really didn't need answering.

Oh god... I've gone off on one again here, I do apologise, I'm not really like this. I do realise Lucas n' co will keep churning out crap and bleeding a franchise dry as long as there are people to make money from. I'm not crazy, there is just far too much watered down Star Wars sh*t that seems to have left a permanent bad taste in the mouth :mellow: (Force Unleased 2, anyone?)

I suppose, in sort of summary, that while I could also never condone this bizarre sense of self entitlement that some have, it doesn't mean a fan can't complain if Lucas tries to do toilet in their mouth... or something.

im sorry if i offended anyone here, my comments were more aimed at those who i usually have to deal with as a starwars fan, and i do see your point, i get that not everything has to be explained, i just enjoy the option, as a huge fan of long thought out stories, and someone who wants to write them for a living, i feel it is necessary to know your entire universe like the back of your hand, and what i love about starwars (same for comics and other large canons), is that a ton of different people can contribute to the growing mythos, stories, and continuity that make it up, yet they dont have to be reliant on each other...i dont know if any of that made sense, but as a lover of the Clone Wars ever since i heard it mentioned in A New Hope, i take offense to people calling it crap.

I call it crap because it contradicts what's come before it. Setting aside the (at times) questionable writing.

Star Wars had 5 things that writers couldn't talk about. They couldn't write about the rise of Vader, the Clone Wars, the rise of the Empire, Yoda, or Princess Leia's torture. So instead of focusing on the past, they moved ahead (novels) or went WAY back (comics). And when it came time to do the new movies, instead of taking what little we knew about the Clone Wars and rise of Vader, Lucas threw it all out the window and created something that didn't pay just homage to its roots. And every time a writer tries to tie new to old, he changes something else.

Look, I'm not... bitter. I do feel that something that was such a huge part of my life, and worked well (not perfect mind you) outside of the three movies has since '99 been treated with less than respect. There have been some good things to come out of the last decade, some really great writers, some great advancements in technology. But I weigh that against the cost, the magic that has been lost (I'm not even talking nostalgia here) and I'm just not sure its been worth it. :/

Not trying to dis anyone or anything. That's just how I see it.

For some true old-school Star Wars love, check out Harmy's "despecialized" editions. He has worked very hard to remove ALL special edition content to return the OT back to the theatrical versions. He just released the newest work prints, available on Blu-ray, and they are available via the typical torrent sites. There are a few scenes with some visual problems, but he really has done amazing work.

Just about on topic, I finally watched Promethues last night. Now that is how you try to expand a universe and answer questions that really don't need answering, in a way that ultimately contradicts and devalues what came before.

What tripe.