UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beast promo gators...my grail...I never thought it would turn into this...

fatcow

That said, as former press I have certainly gotten my share of Toy Fair exclusives over the years. And while it was a nice perk for me, I can see the value of giving a retailer something special. Many of them are fans themselves -- the ultimate fans, because they buy all of these toys to sell them to other fans. I have never met a specialty toy retailer who didn't like toys. If not for them liking and buying our products, we would have far fewer avenues to bring these items to you guys. So consider the retailer promo a necessary rarity.

I concede that giving a promo to a Minimate retailer is potentially a constructive marketing tool for the reasons you've set out in your post .

My comment about a 'kick in the.....' is based on some very basic research that anybody can do when surfing ebay for Minimate promos . I've concluded that the 'true fan Minimate retailers' must be holding on tight to their promos & not selling them . Perhaps the other 40 or 50 ebays auctions for grey Rams I've seen & the ones that I'm watching now are just the ones that slipped through the net. Almost without exception not one of those sellers is also selling any other Minimate item ....in most cases never has .

None of that is the fault of DST & I'm not suggesting it is in any shape or form..... but I can't sit back & say that I'm pleased that 'retailers only' promos exist.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment about a 'kick in the.....' is based on some very basic research that anybody can do when surfing ebay for Minimate promos . I've concluded that the 'true fan Minimate retailers' must be holding on tight to their promos & not selling them . Perhaps the other 40 or 50 ebays auctions for grey Rams I've seen & the ones that I'm watching now are just the ones that slipped through the net. Almost without exception not one of those sellers is also selling any other Minimate item ....in most cases never has .

Oh, I'm sure many of the retailers who get them don't carry Minimates. It's bound to happen, but those are the ones we want to show the product to. Wish they'd open them, understand why they don't. Comics retail is a tough business. Does that mean it's not worth doing? Maybe. We'll see how the Beast orders go. At least they're seeing the market for these things. After all, each of them went on eBay and searched for "Minimates."

Now, some of them MAY have a bunch in their store, but they simply may not sell Minimates online, because Minimates are a very low-profit item. We don't make much money on them, retailers don't either. It's about volume. So investing the time in listing them is something only a few key MM dealers do, the ones who specialize. But they will make an exception for a high-value item like a promo. (Again, it's a tough business.)

Luckily, we don't do these very often. We didn't do anything at Toy Fair this year, and this Beast was to mark the launch of a new in-house line, a rarity. Sorry to all those who couldn't get one.

This picture on ebay has been haunting me for months post-638-0-20833900-1335611298_thumb.jpg

18 Dead Sixes ....who would want them ? There are some very odd people here.

Rather off topic, but hey, I'm quoting. With the popularity rise in zombies, upcoming Walking Dead and all, Dead Six should be shooting up in value. Just saying.

This picture on ebay has been haunting me for months post-638-0-20833900-1335611298_thumb.jpg

18 Dead Sixes ....who would want them ? There are some very odd people here.

Rather off topic, but hey, I'm quoting. With the popularity rise in zombies, upcoming Walking Dead and all, Dead Six should be shooting up in value. Just saying.

Rather off topic, but: Cappy! :biggrin:

Gatormania! The gold gator is by far one of my favorite minimates, I love the head . Can't wait to see what the red looks like but from what I'm hearing I'm probably not going to find a silver or black one. *sigh*

In this particular instance the majority of my 'gators are bagged ,does this really make a good picture ?

It's not bad. It could be cooler if they were out and about. What's cool though is you don't have equal amounts. That actually makes the reds like grunts, or pawns, and the silver like, a general or something. Get enough you might be able to make a chess set out of them!

I really need to get on top of photographing my starscream army. I don't have a good camera at all.

http://imgur.com/0wey7

I have some odd 25 of those guys, the other 20 or so are in storage.

Well I am still on the hunt for 3 of the gators (was able to find the gold one) I am rather impressed with your army there! To start off my first post on the forums here right I think I may have a lil something to offer to your collection.. free of charge of course (as long as in us so dont cost my first born to ship lol) :)

If you do that....you need to have galvtron near by, so we all know who killed him.

hahaha my son and I watched the movie the other day.

The ever illusive silver and black gator have become distant possibilities for me . A few days ago they were on eBay and the auctioneer tool them off due to personal reasons. Oh well, the wait continues . Hopefully I find a mysterious collection of gators like boosted did , and have someone sell them to me for a ridiculously cheap price .

Both unbagged for 50$ a pop. Not really cheap but super happy I found them LOL. I will keep my eyes open for ya though :)

That is cheap compared to what they would have gone for on Ebay I think. Post pics when you get them, we can see the Vorins and Gators together.

does anyone know what the standard price for the gators are?

I managed to pick up a red gator still in package today for 35.00 including shipping 8). i'm still waiting on my 2 vorins and my black gator to arrive. It really sucks starting late in the game...lol

Not really any standard prices, on eBay they've gone for very high at times and quite low at others, you just need a ton of patience to find the cheaper ones. Silver's the worst, but I think a while back someone posted a link in the eBay thread to a completed auction where he went for $30 or something.

I got my red for 30 shipped. now just got to get rid of the damn minimate case that is sitting in my closet lol. I am trying to pick up a cheap gator for a project I got ;)

Actual selling prices on ebay....Gold $36-45 ,Black $40 & Red $11-21 ....Silver $?? & remains very elusive.

Battle Beast Minimates launch at SDCC will see these prices climb despite the possibility that many 'gators will now find their way onto ebay in the coming weeks.

b00sted,I'm surprised you're not finding any love for that case ?

Actual selling prices on ebay....Gold $36-45 ,Black $40 & Red $11-21 ....Silver $?? & remains very elusive.

Battle Beast Minimates launch at SDCC will see these prices climb despite the possibility that many 'gators will now find their way onto ebay in the coming weeks.

I know right? I only want 5 bucks for it lol.. if the auction dont sell and u want it and want to pay for shipping it is urs. you can find out in 5hs http://www.ebay.com/itm/200764249007

No, you want $15 for it. $5 for the case and $10 for shipping.

I can get Collector's Cases WITH a Glow-in-the-Dark Pirate Minimate for $14 shipped through Amazon.

Bump the shipping down to a reasonable price (these are really light) and you may get a nibble from someone.

I think it's an unfortunate, but temporary, problem for "Minimate" collectors that want the Gators. Unfortunately there is a new interest in these by "Battle Beasts" collectors who are driving up the prices of the Gators. "Minimate" collectors have a rough idea what these have been selling for over the years, but "Battle Beasts" collectors are currently in a "whatever price it takes" mentality. Once the hype of the new BB line dies down, the Gators will level out at reasonable prices again. Except Silver, he is the exception. To think, 6 months ago I sold 20+ Red Gators for around $10 each... :ermm:

Edited by youbastards

No, you want $15 for it. $5 for the case and $10 for shipping.

I can get Collector's Cases WITH a Glow-in-the-Dark Pirate Minimate for $14 shipped through Amazon.

Bump the shipping down to a reasonable price (these are really light) and you may get a nibble from someone.

I just went by what the ppl that charged me shipping did to be honest. I was not sure what the cost would be.

EDIT: and amazon is free if u order 25$ or more lol if not it is 7$ to ship.

2012-05-24%2008.48.29.jpg

Edited by b00sted

I just went by what the ppl that charged me shipping did to be honest. I was not sure what the cost would be.

EDIT: and amazon is free if u order 25$ or more lol if not it is 7$ to ship.

2012-05-24%2008.48.29.jpg

Look, I was just trying to explain to you why nobody is bidding on your empty Collector Case for $15. Just because you were willing to pay $12 shipping, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

If you want to argue technicalities, I have Amazon Prime, which means I get free 2-Day shipping on eligible items, which the Collector's Case is. "lol"